Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 
'90 Buick start/stall (Read 84,690 times)
Retired

'90 Buick start/stall
Sep 9th, 2011 at 12:35pm

My backup vehicle, a '90 Buick developed a start/stall condition.  The below series of screen pictures from a OTC Solarity shows the 5V Bypass drop, ICM pulls the EST low but both return only to finally quit for good.  Also shown is Ref(Hi) from the ICM to ECM and the 1X output from the crank position sensor.

The same thing happened in '03 but I was getting a DTC 42 but not this time.  I've read that if it happens fast enough, it won't set the code.

Checked voltage drops on grounds at ECM and all are good.  I'm about ready to pull the ECM as I did in '03.  The annoying thing is that there is only 5K miles on this ECM!

Am I missing anything??

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Re: '90 Buick start/stall
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 1:23pm

Does this vehicle have crank sensors or is it DI?

Wondering if your pickup or crank signal is good.

I know that on most with the 7x crank that the harness gets oil soaked and chafed and this causes most of the problems.

Put the vehicle in bypass mode and see if it still stalls out. If it doesnt stall that means the ECM has nothing to do with your failure.

Has this car been eating ECMs or something? I noticed you stated it only had 5000 miles on it. I would be checking around the vehicle for shorted solenoids if so. Transmission solenoids, etc.

Also check to be sure the ref signals go to ground and dont float above ground. If they float you have a bad ground somewhere.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician
Elevation: AVG 648 ft.

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 1:58pm

Randy H. wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 1:23pm:
Does this vehicle have crank sensors or is it DI?

Wondering if your pickup or crank signal is good.

I know that on most with the 7x crank that the harness gets oil soaked and chafed and this causes most of the problems.

Put the vehicle in bypass mode and see if it still stalls out. If it doesnt stall that means the ECM has nothing to do with your failure.

Has this car been eating ECMs or something? I noticed you stated it only had 5000 miles on it. I would be checking around the vehicle for shorted solenoids if so. Transmission solenoids, etc.

Also check to be sure the ref signals go to ground and dont float above ground. If they float you have a bad ground somewhere.

Yes, it has a crank sensor, that's what the Ref(Hi) is.  The ICM output from the crank sensor to the ECM and the signal is constant when the Bypass drops to zero.

How do you put it into Bypass mode?

The vehicle is used for family loan outs when their main vehicle is in a shop, etc.

It sat for year without driving on a float charger.  Time for a loan out but battery was dead.  Battery and alternator, out for two weeks, back for two months, out to my sister for a few days.  She past it to her son who started to have a rough idle and stall.  My Bro-in-Law rescued him but got it back to me by using quick start several times.

Two days later, it starts right up!  I looked at the fuel pump, FPR, etc. for a week with it starting up every time.  Then it started to stall and then start/stall now while never leaving my garage.

Bill

IP Logged

NathanBirch
Guru Member
Picogroup

Deceased

West Chicago, Illinois, USA
West Chicago
Illinois
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 3:28pm

Retired wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 1:58pm:
She past it to her son who started to have a rough idle and stall.

That discription of the problem could be a few different things, a crank sensor that fails when it get hot, I've seen mass air flow sensors do this too, tother components that control the igntion system could be at fault too but usually when those parts fail they are done and don't come back to life for a bit then stop then come back etc.  I would look at the 1x and 7x on the crank and the maf signal, keep in mind that the computer is looking for a hertz change on the signal wire.  another quick test is to unplug the maf sensor and see if it will run, this will put the computer in a fail-safe mode.  one more possibility would be the chip on the key is worn.

good luck!

Nathan.

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 3:31pm

All you do is extract the EST wire from the harness with a terminal tool - thats what id O. But im so good/fast at pulling terminals it takes less time for me to do this than to pull out a jumper wire and figure which wire needs 5 volts to do what.
Bottom line is if you are getting a good crank sensor signal, and the reference signal going to the ECM is bad, the ICM is bad. Here it appears you are having failure of which signal? I cannot see very much here on your files. Is EST signal failing?
Also have you scopes the actual crank sensor or just REF hi? REF hi is the signal created from the crank sensor by the ICM.

The ICM is a common failure on GM vehicles, but it sometimes fails because of the coils, other times due to heat, and other times the ECM is not grounded properly. The ICM gets its ground from the ECM.

You should check out Toms creative lab scope technique page on the autonerdz home site. He goes over these failure quite thoroughly. Wink

I would suspect the wiring first - check it for corrosion and do a wiggle test. (especially crank sensor wiring) Then look at the modules.
Maybe you can post some more waveforms that are a but bigger? I can barely see anything there.....

Finally what is the exact year, make/model vin/engine size? I can help you better if i know for sure
Right now I am guessing a bit on exact operation

You should get yourself a picoscope Wink Smiley

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:19pm

NathanBirch wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 3:28pm:
She past it to her son who started to have a rough idle and stall.

That discription of the problem could be a few different things, a crank sensor that fails when it get hot, I've seen mass air flow sensors do this too, tother components that control the igntion system could be at fault too but usually when those parts fail they are done and don't come back to life for a bit then stop then come back etc.  I would look at the 1x and 7x on the crank and the maf signal, keep in mind that the computer is looking for a hertz change on the signal wire.  another quick test is to unplug the maf sensor and see if it will run, this will put the computer in a fail-safe mode.  one more possibility would be the chip on the key is worn.

good luck!

Nathan.

This is a '90 Buick, long before chip were added to the key(FOB).  It's a 4-wire HEI system, 1X/3X crank signals.  Right now, it doesn't start cold, so a hot crank sensor isn't it.  I first had the scope on EST, Bypass, 3X and 1X.  Then EST, Bypass Ref(Hi) and Ref(Low).  All looked normal so I looked at what I posted, EST, Bypass, Ref(Hi) and 1X.

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:41pm

Randy H. wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 3:31pm:

All you do is extract the EST wire from the harness with a terminal tool - thats what id O. But im so good/fast at pulling terminals it takes less time for me to do this than to pull out a jumper wire and figure which wire needs 5 volts to do what.
Bottom line is if you are getting a good crank sensor signal, and the reference signal going to the ECM is bad, the ICM is bad. Here it appears you are having failure of which signal? I cannot see very much here on your files. Is EST signal failing?
Also have you scopes the actual crank sensor or just REF hi? REF hi is the signal created from the crank sensor by the ICM.

The ICM is a common failure on GM vehicles, but it sometimes fails because of the coils, other times due to heat, and other times the ECM is not grounded properly. The ICM gets its ground from the ECM.

You should check out Toms creative lab scope technique page on the autonerdz home site. He goes over these failure quite thoroughly. Wink

I would suspect the wiring first - check it for corrosion and do a wiggle test. (especially crank sensor wiring) Then look at the modules.
Maybe you can post some more waveforms that are a but bigger? I can barely see anything there.....

Finally what is the exact year, make/model vin/engine size? I can help you better if i know for sure
Right now I am guessing a bit on exact operation

You should get yourself a picoscope Wink Smiley

Hard to follow you.  Extract EST with a terminal tool?  I "think" your saying get a 5V signal from elsewhere and put it on the Bypass wire?  At startup?  Can it start that way?  Break that down simpler for me.  Remember, this is the Non-Technician section, I'm a DIY but a retired machine repairman from Ford Motor.

Yes, the Bypass goes to zero, therfore the ICM pulls the EST zero and/or back to base timing and it stalls.

All I have for info is from AllDataDIY.  The diagrams only show two ground circuits or BLK/WHT wires, yet there are four that color on the ECM.  Voltage drop KOEO, the higest read 0.03V, well under the max allowed.

'90 Buick 3.3L VIN N.

I consdered a Pico years ago but the thought of needing a laptop on a stand with wheels didn't sound too good to me.  A Pico would be worth more than the car!

I'll post some bigger bigger pictures later tonight.  Not sure why you can't see the pictures well, maybe you need a better PC or maybe using a smarty phone? Smiley

Below is the EST, Bypass, 3X and 1x signals.

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2011 at 9:05pm by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 8:17pm

Retired wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:41pm:
Hard to follow you.

That’s ok Bill, when we are not on the job with you it can be really frustrating for us.

What Randy was getting at is he wants you to open that EST wire, he is suggesting you remove the terminal from the connector at the engine harness.

What I would want you to do is connect the scope to REF at the ecm and EST at the module and at the ecm to make sure that wire is good at both ends.
Now I would want you to locate the injector feed wires either at the fuse box or at the engine harness and hook up an Amp clamp to measure current of these injectors.
These injectors are bank fired so there will be 2 circuits to hook up to with 1 Amp clamp.

The purpose of my test will be to see if the injectors short out and current rises, does it at this point kill the ECM.

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 8:59pm

Mick wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 8:17pm:
Retired wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:41pm:
Hard to follow you.

That’s ok Bill, when we are not on the job with you it can be really frustrating for us.

What Randy was getting at is he wants you to open that EST wire, he is suggesting you remove the terminal from the connector at the engine harness.

What I would want you to do is connect the scope to REF at the ecm and EST at the module and at the ecm to make sure that wire is good at both ends.
Now I would want you to locate the injector feed wires either at the fuse box or at the engine harness and hook up an Amp clamp to measure current of these injectors.
These injectors are bank fired so there will be 2 circuits to hook up to with 1 Amp clamp.

The purpose of my test will be to see if the injectors short out and current rises, does it at this point kill the ECM.

Mick:

Wait a minute!  Open the EST at the ICM?  Ah, isn't that going to make it stall for sure?  That's the spark timing going to the ICM which is what's happening now.  Don't you need the 5V Bypass signal to keep the EST high to control the ICM so the engine runs controlled by the ECM?

There is a Ref(Hi) and Ref(Low).  Not sure which you one you are refering to?  You want to check whatever Ref signal at the ECM, correct?  That way checking the wire?  All of my connections have been at the ICM so far.

I'm at the ICM seeing the EST, so it should be good.

What do you mean by, does it at this point kill the ECM?  Like fry it?

There was one day in the past, where it started, ran a few minutes and stalled.  I looked at some diagrams for thirty minutes.  It started right up and ran till the fan cycled On.  That was in the past and now, it doesn't start.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 1:35am

If the car will not start at all as you stated, and you have a good crank sensor signal, and good power and ground to the module, you have a bad ICM.

model of buick, engine size and vin letter would be very useful to us.
Half the battle is knowing the system you are working on.

If the car has a distributor you will not need to remove bypass terminal at all. It will have a harness you can disconnect - this connector is for setting base timing.

Sorry I forgot that you were not a technician. Wink

Anyhow, Bypass mode is used for timing up to 800 rpm - this is BASE timing. This is a function of the ignition module only. Then after 800 RPM ignition timing is handled by the ECM on the EST circuit. See how this could be useful when suspecting a bad ECM?

Disconnecting bypass MAY cause a stall but it will not prevent the car from starting.

What Mick means by kill the ECM is if you have a shorted injector the ECM will protect itself from  damage by shutting itself down. We can prove this with a current waveform of the injector.

Dont worry we will not have you run any tests that will destroy your car!

I am interested in seeing the crank sensor signal still - It may not be bad itself but that does not rule out oil soaked wiring and chafed wires!
Do not overlook this sensor!

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:08am

Retired wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 8:59pm:
Wait a minute!

Retired wrote on Sep 9th, 2011 at 4:19pm:
It's a 4-wire HEI system,

Please give us the complete serial number

I am having a hard time finding a 3.3L N engine with a distributor.

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:55am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 1:35am:
If the car will not start at all as you stated, and you have a good crank sensor signal, and good power and ground to the module, you have a bad ICM.

model of buick, engine size and vin letter would be very useful to us.
Half the battle is knowing the system you are working on.

If the car has a distributor you will not need to remove bypass terminal at all. It will have a harness you can disconnect - this connector is for setting base timing.

Sorry I forgot that you were not a technician. Wink

Anyhow, Bypass mode is used for timing up to 800 rpm - this is BASE timing. This is a function of the ignition module only. Then after 800 RPM ignition timing is handled by the ECM on the EST circuit. See how this could be useful when suspecting a bad ECM?

Disconnecting bypass MAY cause a stall but it will not prevent the car from starting.

What Mick means by kill the ECM is if you have a shorted injector the ECM will protect itself from  damage by shutting itself down. We can prove this with a current waveform of the injector.

Dont worry we will not have you run any tests that will destroy your car!

I am interested in seeing the crank sensor signal still - It may not be bad itself but that does not rule out oil soaked wiring and chafed wires!
Do not overlook this sensor!

Look at the last picture in Reply #6 above for the crank signals.

VIN: 1G4AL54N1L6403478, V6 204 3.3L VIN N FI

Okay, I've read several explaination of this ditributor-less 4-wire HEI system.  They all say that the ICM uses base timing during cranking at which time the Bypass is 0V which means the ICM pulls the EST to 0V.  When the RPMs reaches 300-400 RPMs the ECM sends 5V on the Bypass wire at which time the ICM lets the EST go high and the ECM takes over.  Not sure where you get the 800 RPMs figure from?

Now, that all being said, I wondered and forgot about this one point.  In the first picture of the series, I have the 5V Bypass voltage with no Ref(Hi) and barely a EST signal yet?  How can I have the 5V Bypass without the ECM having the Ref(Hi) to determine RPM?

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:55am

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:55am:
Okay, I've read several explaination of this ditributor-less 4-wire HEI system.

First off do you have fuel pressure?

So this is the C(3)I DIS system with 3 separate coils mounted onto the module.

No sign of a distributor on this vehicle correct?

If I have it correct go to the ECM and connect your scope to D8 purple/white DREF and C8 white EST and an Amp clamp on C11 and C12 injectors and put time on the screen to see at least 2 engine cycles
Then zoom in on the injectors to verify for shorts.

You do have an Amp clamp right?

If we don’t have a signal on D8 we will work back from there.

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:22am

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:55am:
Okay, I've read several explaination of this ditributor-less 4-wire HEI system.

First off do you have fuel pressure?

So this is the C(3)I DIS system with 3 separate coils mounted onto the module.

No sign of a distributor on this vehicle correct?

If I have it correct go to the ECM and connect your scope to D8 purple/white DREF and C8 white EST and an Amp clamp on C11 and C12 injectors and put time on the screen to see at least 2 engine cycles
Then zoom in on the injectors to verify for shorts.

You do have an Amp clamp right?

If we don’t have a signal on D8 we will work back from there.

Yes, no distributor and no EGR valve either.

Clamp both injector feeds? I can go to the injector fuse, correct?  I have a fuse adapter set.

I have at least four DC clamp probes that I can think of off hand.

What about the point in my reply to Randy about having the 5V Bypass in the first screen picture with the DREF as you call it?

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 11:33am

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:22am:
What about the point in my reply to Randy about having the 5V Bypass in the first screen picture with the DREF as you call it? 

With not knowing the time scale on that screen I would have to guess that the engine was idleing slower than the othere screens.

Something you have to understand is that dref is buffered inside the ECM, that will give a delay in EST being produced.

Clamp both injector feeds? I can go to the injector fuse, correct?I have a fuse adapter set.

The fuse box is ok but you will need 2 fuse adapters.

Why have your scope leads all over the place when you can get what I asked for right from the front seat.

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:15pm

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 11:33am:

With not knowing the time scale on that screen I would have to guess that the engine was idleing slower than the othere screens.

Something you have to understand is that dref is buffered inside the ECM, that will give a delay in EST being produced.

Clamp both injector feeds? I can go to the injector fuse, correct?I have a fuse adapter set.

The fuse box is ok but you will need 2 fuse adapters.

Why have your scope leads all over the place when you can get what I asked for right from the front seat.  

It's a bit pale, not sure if you can see the red grid lines at 10ms/div.  No idle, it never starts, just cranks or that's what it's doing right now.

Two fuse adapters?  I see only one 25A fuse and it "might" be in the glove box fuse panel.

The diagram on various circuits show connections of CA, CB, CC, CD and YE yet IIRC, there are three connectors.  Like the injectors are BC11 and BC12.  There are ORN wires list as BC16 and BB1 listed as BATT yet there is another ORN BA8 listed as serial data.  Is this a guessing game as to which ORN wire is which or is there a way to know on which connector to look?

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #16 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:50pm

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:15pm:
It's a bit pale, not sure if you can see the red grid lines at 10ms/div.No idle, it never starts, just cranks or that's what it's doing right now.

What is the voltage scale of that EST wave?

Are you saying those waves you put up are from it cranking no start?

If so let’s get RIGHT back to basics

Remove one sparkplug lead from a sparkplug and  insert a spark tester like a st125 or if you don’t have one of these get someone to crank the engine while you use a screw driver inserted into the end of the sparkplug boot and held quarter inch from the block, is there spark.

If this is too hard for you get your amp clamp and connect it to the pink wire of the ignition module are there primary pulses.

But just pull the ECM out and hook up to C11 and C12 of that connector and get injector pulses.

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 1:22pm

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:50pm:
Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:15pm:
It's a bit pale, not sure if you can see the red grid lines at 10ms/div.No idle, it never starts, just cranks or that's what it's doing right now.

What is the voltage scale of that EST wave?

Are you saying those waves you put up are from it cranking no start?

If so let’s get RIGHT back to basics

Remove one sparkplug lead from a sparkplug and  insert a spark tester like a st125 or if you don’t have one of these get someone to crank the engine while you use a screw driver inserted into the end of the sparkplug boot and held quarter inch from the block, is there spark.

If this is too hard for you get your amp clamp and connect it to the pink wire of the ignition module are there primary pulses.

But just pull the ECM out and hook up to C11 and C12 of that connector and get injector pulses.

They are 5V/div and yes, crank, no start.  I can do the C11/C12 and injectors your way.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:25pm

Not sure where you get the 800 RPMs figure from?

Just a guess - like I said before I didnt know the make and model so i was making assumptions
And so you know whats listed in service manuals (theory of operation) isnt even accurate most of the time. I know this sounds disturbing but its the truth.

If the car doesnt start at all - you dont need the scope yet.

Get back to basics as Mick said - but i will add a few things he forgot to mention (micks a helluva technician - listen to him and pay attention) Smiley

Check fuses and battery voltage FIRST!

smell exhaust after cranking and see if it gets gas

check ignition for spark with a spark tester as mick said (or use a timing light and see if it flashes, but this is not as effective)

If these check out check timing with a timing light in bypass mode while cranking
After doing these basic tests report back your findings so we can narrow things down

Note:
If you have a good scantool you can put the car in bypass by putting it in 'field service mode'

Always check basics first before scoping and jumping in head first - it will save you time and headache later:)

Sorry for the confusion - when you said HEI i assumed it was a distributor system. Since you are not a technician it is a little hard for me to follow you at times.

Now that I know the engine and vin we are dealing with it makes things much easier. Thanks for the info. Wink

But bear with us and we will help you fix your car. Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:43pm by Randy H. »  

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #19 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:46pm

No fancy scantool here like you guys use but one trip at a time, please!

Mick had reading current on the injectors.  Well, I've asked about these connectors.  BC11 is supposed to be LT BLU and BC12 is supposed to be LT GRN.  Ain't a LT GRN anywhere on the ECM.  Plus there are three shades of BLU.  A DRK BLU, a MID/DRK BLU and two LT BLU.

I assume that they'd be next to eachother but I'm lost now.

It's still holding a bit of fuel pressure from my last try too.

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #20 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:54pm

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 1:22pm:
They are 5V/div and yes, crank, no start.I can do the C11/C12 and injectors your way.  

I don’t like that bypass being high and EST activated on cranking.

Will you capture a start up like the one I have attached here I want to see that the bypass is not shorted to power right from the start of Key on engine off to key on engine crank.

Does this engine sound as if it is cranking very fast like no compression or even worse an uneven compression.

Please do the injector capture.

3_1_start_up.gif (102 KB | )
3_1_start_up.gif

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #21 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:07pm

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:54pm:
Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 1:22pm:
They are 5V/div and yes, crank, no start.I can do the C11/C12 and injectors your way.  

I don’t like that bypass being high and EST activated on cranking.

Will you capture a start up like the one I have attached here I want to see that the bypass is not shorted to power right from the start of Key on engine off to key on engine crank.

Does this engine sound as if it is cranking very fast like no compression or even worse an uneven compression.

Please do the injector capture.

I agrees there about the Bypass/EST while cranking.

Starter speed sounds normal, it had been a super quick starting vehicle, just touch the key.

You want to see EST, Bypass and battery voltage while cranking?  I can't do ignition at the same time as it's a different scope section.

I can't do the injector current because as I mentioned above, I can't ID the proper wires at the ESM as the wire color codes don't match the diagram.

One odd thing that I'm unsure of.  During these no starts, I used my scanner to try to capture the no start event.  I start the capture then hit a button which marks a trigger point, it'll take 13 readings after that point, stop by itself and give me 26 readings over time plus the trigger point.  What it does is quit with a connection loss error.  Not sure if this is a OBD-I limitation, scanner quirk or caused by my problem?  Just another piece of the puzzle.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #22 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:14pm

you never did tell us if you are getting spark or if the exhaust smells like fuel when cranking. These are simple tests that dont take 2 minutes.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #23 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:58pm

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:07pm:
You want to see EST, Bypass and battery voltage while cranking?

No thank you

I can't do ignition at the same time as it's a different scope section.

Then do it on its own I would like to see what it looks like either way

I can't do the injector current because as I mentioned above, I can't ID the proper wires at the ESM as the wire color codes don't match the diagram.

Then follow the harness from the injectors for about 8 inches, you will have to undo some of the harness insulation back to the connector, there you will find the wires you need  three dark blue will become one dark blue and for the other bank you will find three dark green wires will become one dark green.

Hook up to these 2 wires

I used my scanner to try to capture the no start event.

Does the rpm pid show around 300rpm when key is in cranking position?

Mick
IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #24 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:16pm

One black connector on the ecm has 32 holes you will find C 1, 2 and 3 are empty in one row just count from there across untill you get to C 11 and C 12 those dark green and dark blue are the injector trigger wires

The other black connector only has 24 holes.

Mick
IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #25 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:23pm

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:46pm:

Do you have a gauge hooked up to the fuel rail?

If so when you turn the key to the on position does the pressure increase on the gauge, if so what does it read?

This is important for me to know please answer as soon as possible

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 7:49pm

Randy H. wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:14pm:
you never did tell us if you are getting spark or if the exhaust smells like fuel when cranking. These are simple tests that dont take 2 minutes. 

Not yet as I'm by myself.  Now looking for my remote starter switch.  I don't recall any exhaust smells.

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 7:52pm

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:58pm:
You want to see EST, Bypass and battery voltage while cranking?

No thank you

I can't do ignition at the same time as it's a different scope section.

Then do it on its own I would like to see what it looks like either way

Then follow the harness from the injectors for about 8 inches, you will have to undo some of the harness insulation back to the connector, there you will find the wires you need  three dark blue will become one dark blue and for the other bank you will find three dark green wires will become one dark green.

Hook up to these 2 wires

I used my scanner to try to capture the no start event.

Does the rpm pid show around 300rpm when key is in cranking position?

In the capture mode, PIDs aren't for view.  I never tried to just view the PIDs while cranking.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:32pm by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #28 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:28pm

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:23pm:
Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:46pm:

Do you have a gauge hooked up to the fuel rail?

If so when you turn the key to the on position does the pressure increase on the gauge, if so what does it read?

This is important for me to know please answer as soon as possible

It's on the FPR schrader valve.  I was going to save Part II for later but here it comes! Smiley

During the week or so when it was starting I connected the gauge on the FPR, KOER I'd get 36psi which is within specs.  KOEO, by the time I get to the guage it showed 41psi.  I put a current clamp probe with another scope I have on the FP relay and get around 2A.  AllDataDIY states KOEO at 40-47psi, KOER at 3-10psi less with 3500rpm.

After reviewing my Current Ramping 1,2,3 from Linder Automotive,  I'm assuming that it has 8 commutator bars, it calculates to 3640rpm.  Sounds close enough.  I emailed them and Jim said more than likely eight bars.

Diagram shows FP Prime Test Lead which Jim mentions in his video but no loaction is given plus it shows two ORN wires and there's only one.  I find this red wire with a connector up near the firewall.  Red wire on FP relay to.

I go directly to the battery with scope/clamp.  I get 4A, 46psi at 2000rpm.  Thinking it might be the FP relay, checks fine on bench but that's just with a meter.  I jury rig the relay to use the other contact while directly to the battery but get the same 4A, etc.  Later I set a meter so I can see it when KOEO and I get the same 4A for that few seconds it runs then.

I can't find any reason for the current draw difference.  Possible bad ground with the extra load of engine, etc. running?  All grounds check good.

I also put vacuum on the FPR while connected directly to the battery and the current only dropped .5A.

The one time that it started and ran for about five minutes, I was watching the injector pulse width.  It was around 2-2.5ms, it just stopped like one turned it off, no roughness or anything.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #29 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:54pm

Your pump does seem to be spinning slow at 2000 -3000 rpms. If the commutator is really 8 bars check for restricted fuel filter, restricted return line, rail, etc.
If current is higher than normal and rpm is low, there is a restriction somewhere in the system that was not there before.

You still did not answer whether you have spark or not, or even gas smell at the exhaust when cranking. The gas smell will tell me if your injectors are working, and checking for fuel could have been done much more quickly.

I hope your first test of 2A was accurate - because you could end up replacing a part you dont need if it was not accurate. Are you bleeding air out of the lines when testing pressure? Also I have seen some equipment differ almost 1 amp when measuring so be careful here. Also your test point is a big factor here - you may have been pulling only half the true current through the wire you measured on.

You really do need to check for spark and be sure injectors are working. You can see if injectors are working by:

Crank engine while watching fuel gauge. You should see a needle fluctuation indicating injectors opening. OR just smell the exhaust as I said twice earlier in the thread.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011 at 11:33pm by Randy H. »  

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #30 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 5:14am

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:28pm:
It's on the FPR schrader valve.I was going to save Part II for later but here it comes!

During the week or so when it was starting I connected the gauge on the FPR, KOER I'd get 36psi which is within specs.KOEO, by the time I get to the guage it showed 41psi.I put a current clamp probe with another scope I have on the FP relay and get around 2A.AllDataDIY states KOEO at 40-47psi, KOER at 3-10psi less with 3500rpm.

I am not liking the saved parts that you are keeping from us I feel this is becoming a game and I am not into games.

If you could just give us the answers to what we ask it would speed this thread up as we have to get back to our own problems come Monday morning.

So it’s the answer to this

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:23pm:

And this

Randy H. wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:14pm:
you never did tell us if you are getting spark or if the exhaust smells like fuel when cranking.

That we need to know

Please don’t guess and please carry out the test on the fuel pressure gauge exactly like I asked.

So fuel pressure reads 0 on the gauge you turn the key on engine off and the fuel pressure rises to what pressure?

And is there spark?

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #31 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 7:13am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:54pm:
Your pump does seem to be spinning slow at 2000 -3000 rpms. If the commutator is really 8 bars check for restricted fuel filter, restricted return line, rail, etc.
If current is higher than normal and rpm is low, there is a restriction somewhere in the system that was not there before.

You still did not answer whether you have spark or not, or even gas smell at the exhaust when cranking. The gas smell will tell me if your injectors are working, and checking for fuel could have been done much more quickly.

I hope your first test of 2A was accurate - because you could end up replacing a part you dont need if it was not accurate. Are you bleeding air out of the lines when testing pressure? Also I have seen some equipment differ almost 1 amp when measuring so be careful here. Also your test point is a big factor here - you may have been pulling only half the true current through the wire you measured on.

You really do need to check for spark and be sure injectors are working. You can see if injectors are working by:

Crank engine while watching fuel gauge. You should see a needle fluctuation indicating injectors opening. OR just smell the exhaust as I said twice earlier in the thread.

First of all.  I appreciate all the suggestions I have received here but I don't have all my tools at my disposal every day.  I had neglected to charge the Solarity battery packs and I had a problem with that.  I'm not going to bother a neighbor numerous times to turn the key while I check this and that.  I haven't been able to locate my remote starter switch and I hate to purchase another one because I can't find it.

I read the FP current using a Fluke 123 scope, Fluke 88V DMM, Extech clamp meter and Solarity at the same point(s), all agree.

No I didn't bleed the air form the FP gauge as I never heard of doing that but will now.  All the FP was done while it was "running" and I didn't mention it because refering to AllDataDIY which "doesn't" refer to using the the test lead connection are within specs and current draw isn't listed.

I also tried connecting the FP test lead directly to the battery and it still doesn't start.

The pressure drops off while it sits and returns during the current state of start/stall, so to me, I have fuel pressure.

I didn't smell gas or exhaust.  Hardly a way to smell the tailpipe for exhaust while cranking whithout help.  Don't think that a remote start switch's leads are that long anyway.

Some of the tests that you guys have suggested I can do but others I can't till I find my remote start switch.  I haven't used it since the sixties but remember seeing it lately, somewhere.  If push comes to shove, I'll purchase another one.

I you choose not to respond anymore at all or not for a week.  That's fine with me as it'll give me time to complete the suggetsed tests.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #32 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 11:43am

Retired wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 7:13am:
I didn't smell gas or exhaust.  Hardly a way to smell the tailpipe for exhaust while cranking whithout help

You crank the engine over yourself, then go to the back of the vehicle and smell the exhaust.

You dont have anyone around that cna crank the engine over for you while you check for spark?

And doing the fuel pressure as Mick asked is important.

If you cannot do these three tests exactly as we ask we cannot help you.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #33 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:26pm

Okay, I’ll try to answer the questions.

Bleeding any trapped air in the line going to the pressure gauge didn’t change the reading.  I do smell a faint exhaust smell.  The first screen shot below shows that I have primary coil current.  From notes that I made on captures back in 2003, the coil is supposed to fire when the EST signal goes to zero which it is.  The injectors are another story.  Not only erratic but not consistent in amplitude either.  From what I’ve read the high impedance injector should draw between .6-1.2A.  One of the screens below shows two spikes at about an amp but nothing over that.

The first shot in any series is noted what the waveforms are.  All connections made at the ECM.

I also connected my scanner while cranking and the RPM showed zero.  Not if this is a OBD-I, ECM or scanner issue.

Just for the heck of it I tried some Quick Start and it did run for a few seconds but I couldn’t keep it running.  It sure is a fuel issue but is it because of the injectors or their control??

... ... ...

...  ...  ...  ...

...  ...  ...

...  ...  ...

...  ...  ...

...   ...
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:24am by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #34 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:36pm

retired,

i'm just jumping in on this thread tonight (and am on my way to bed), but wanted to point out that your injector amp trace looks like you've got shorted injectors.  can you capture another inj amp with more closeup so we can see a more defined waveform?

EDIT:  well, maybe i'll take a better look tomorrow 'cause the inj volts capture don't look right either  Smiley.  goodnight

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #35 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:05am

Retired wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:26pm:
I also connected my scanner while cranking and the RPM showed zero.

That is normal - never pay too attention to certain scandata PIDS until the vehicle is started
It certainly looks like you have bad injectors here.

If you can do s closeup of the injectors only using 1 channel, we can see whether they are shorted. This will eliminate the PCM as a possibillity.
Some PCMS will shut down the quad drivers when a short is detected.

Thanks for answering back Smiley

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #36 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:07am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:05am:
Retired wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:26pm:
I also connected my scanner while cranking and the RPM showed zero.

That is normal - never pay too attention to certain scandata PIDS until the vehicle is started
It certainly looks like you have bad injectors here.

If you can do s closeup of the injectors only using 1 channel, we can see whether they are shorted. This will eliminate the PCM as a possibillity.
Some PCMS will shut down the quad drivers when a short is detected.

Thanks for answering back Smiley

Current or voltage?  I grabbed a voltage waveform right at one injector on the engine to verify the squarewave look with a Fluke 123 and got the same thing.  I grabbed but didn't save a current waveform at one injector with the Solarity.  It didn't have much slope and was real ragged looking.

The Solarity has some built in setups for testing different components and all you do is run them.  Ones for current limiting and non-limiting injectors.  They are triggered setups.  Tried both and neither triggered or captured anything.

Wouldn't a short show abnormally high current spike in the waveform?  What about the Bypass going ON/OFF during cranking?

It's a PITA to capture waveforms, take pictures, edit, upload and create a post.  OTC/SPX to this date has no scope that allows uploading to a PC for saving data or screens.  Angry

The editor here is a bit funky when it comes to placing photos also.  The last two in the series above wouldn't go side by side as the others did for some strange reason.

I had to purchase another remote starter switch as a I couldn't find my old one.  I had to order the two different terminal tools from O'Reilly's.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:39am by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #37 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:11am

Keep in mind the images posted appear to be from a Genisys OTC scope and it is pretty weak in resources.  One should be cautious to make calls on longer time base with this scope.  With the data displayed I would be questioning the accuracy of the trace in regard to the injectors.

If the OTC scope is the one only available it can be used but it does not take much to push it beyond its limits.

Sam

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #38 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 9:17am

jarvissamuel wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:11am:
Keep in mind the images posted appear to be from a Genisys OTC scope and it is pretty weak in resources.  One should be cautious to make calls on longer time base with this scope.  With the data displayed I would be questioning the accuracy of the trace in regard to the injectors.

If the OTC scope is the one only available it can be used but it does not take much to push it beyond its limits.

Sam

They are from a Solarity which I think if just the Genisys scope module alone.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #39 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 10:14am

A short will show a upward line instead of a slope on the current ramp of the injector. Try using a short timebase on the scope - a few ms like 5 ms and then trigger a few captures. As JS mentioned the Solarity has a weak sample rate at longer timebases (im guessing 20-100ms)

It really sucks you dont have a picoscope - you could have nailed this much more quickly. The solarity is really a cop out for a scope.

If you cant see anything definitive with the Solarity:

You might try ohming the injectors and comparing them to spec, or take the fuel rail loose - disconnect harness and give them power and ground (jumper wires) with the fuel pump on and make sure they work and spray fuel.

Be careful not to make sparks near fuel - and also do not leave the fuel injectors on for too long. If they are good that will shorten their life.

Hope this helps

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #40 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 11:56am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 10:14am:
A short will show a upward line instead of a slope on the current ramp of the injector. Try using a short timebase on the scope - a few ms like 5 ms and then trigger a few captures. As JS mentioned the Solarity has a weak sample rate at longer timebases (im guessing 20-100ms)

It really sucks you dont have a picoscope - you could have nailed this much more quickly. The solarity is really a cop out for a scope.

If you cant see anything definitive with the Solarity:

You might try ohming the injectors and comparing them to spec, or take the fuel rail loose - disconnect harness and give them power and ground (jumper wires) with the fuel pump on and make sure they work and spray fuel.

Be careful not to make sparks near fuel - and also do not leave the fuel injectors on for too long. If they are good that will shorten their life.

Hope this helps

Here's some from a Fluke 199B 200MHz 2.5GS/s scope.  Lots of features but sometimes too sensitive.

Basically the same as the Solarity with better detail.  Notice how varied they are even when not zoomed in on.  Used the same 50ms time base as the last batch from the Solarity.

I was thinking about pressuring the rail by running the FP and then power them.  The pressure should drop.

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #41 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 4:12pm

Retired wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 11:56am:
I was thinking about pressuring the rail by running the FP and then power them.The pressure should drop.

Bill
Remember the question I had for you about what happens to the fuel gauge when you turn the key on engine off did you ever check that?

If the results are what I would expect then you could carry your pressure drop test with just turning the key on and off.

Just put 10 ms/div on that fluke scope and capture that injector again please.

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #42 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:40pm

Mick wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 4:12pm:
Retired wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 11:56am:
I was thinking about pressuring the rail by running the FP and then power them.The pressure should drop.

Bill
Remember the question I had for you about what happens to the fuel gauge when you turn the key on engine off did you ever check that?

If the results are what I would expect then you could carry your pressure drop test with just turning the key on and off.

Just put 10 ms/div on that fluke scope and capture that injector again please.

Just turning the key to KOEO and OFF, the pressure goes to 46psi then drops to around 41psi.

I think that the injectors are supplied with 12V at KOEO.  I'm not following how that's going to check for pressure drop unless I ground the trigger side??  That also powers the ECM.

I was orginally thinking of doing it that way but thought, why power everything else too?

Checking for a pressure drop will answer one question I've thinking about.  Is it possible that the FPR could be blocking gas from the injectors?  It seemed to be working properly while it running but it's not even starting now.  I could power the FP from the test lead and use a vacuum pump but is that a 100% function test??

I also remember reading years ago about a way to test or compare injector banks.  You cross the two trigger wires and use a current clamp therefore having current flow in opposite directions.  If they are equal in theory, you'd read 0.0A.

You guys aren't commenting about the fact that the Bypass/EST are switching back and forth while cranking.  Or do I have more than one problem?

BTW: The Autonerz Creative Waveform requires some sort-of username and password to view.  Might need to be a Pico owner??

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:59pm by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #43 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 8:38pm

Retired wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:40pm:
Just turning the key to KOEO and OFF, the pressure goes to 46psi then drops to around 41psi.

Fantastic so we know we have good pressure

I think that the injectors are supplied with 12V at KOEO.I'm not following how that's going to check for pressure drop unless I ground the trigger side??That also powers the ECM.

You are going to get an injector pulser and disconnect all injector electrical harnesses (very easy to do on this set up) At this point why don’t you use your ohm meter and check resistance across each injector?
Then turn key on to prime injector rail and then press pulser which will drop pressure X amount then go to next injector prime and pulse all pressure drops had better be the same.

Where is the 10ms/div injector wave from the fluke?

Is it possible that the FPR could be blocking gas from the injectors?

The regulator is the last part of the fuel flow, it allows pressure to build not block.

You guys aren't commenting about the fact that the Bypass/EST are switching back and forth while cranking.Or do I have more than one problem?

You are showing us primary current so we have to assume you have spark besides you said it ran on quick start.

The thing that stands out to me on the ref along with bypass/est is the speed change can you explain this for us?

Does the engine crank evenly?

Mick
IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #44 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 2:10am

the Fluke is much better  Smiley- they make the best handheld scope on the planet IMHO - and we can see the details much better

these injector current waveforms are not showing any inductive reactance when they are turned on - it looks like they MAY be shorted internally if your scope has enough sample power in the timebase you chose. (10ms per divison as Mick said will allow us to get a better picture)

You may have more than one problem but lets repair what we know is broken first.

You should know that most scopes get weaker in longer timebases of 50ms and beyond, so you get less samples of the waveform. In other words, you may not get a TRUE representation of the waveform.
The Flukes are not like a Pico which performs great at 50,100,200ms and beyond. Wink
However the Flukes do have isolated floating grounds which is freaking awesome. Smiley Smiley

Email Tom and ask him for the password to the creative labscope technique page. I think you may have to ask? You can also access the sample rate calculator there which will show you what I mean by the scope getting weaker sample power at long timebases.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2011 at 2:26am by Randy H. »  

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #45 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 5:52am

Mick wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 8:38pm:

Fantastic so we know we have good pressure

I think that the injectors are supplied with 12V at KOEO.I'm not following how that's going to check for pressure drop unless I ground the trigger side??That also powers the ECM.

You are going to get an injector pulser and disconnect all injector electrical harnesses (very easy to do on this set up) At this point why don’t you use your ohm meter and check resistance across each injector?
Then turn key on to prime injector rail and then press pulser which will drop pressure X amount then go to next injector prime and pulse all pressure drops had better be the same.

Where is the 10ms/div injector wave from the fluke?

Is it possible that the FPR could be blocking gas from the injectors?

The regulator is the last part of the fuel flow, it allows pressure to build not block.

You guys aren't commenting about the fact that the Bypass/EST are switching back and forth while cranking.Or do I have more than one problem?

You are showing us primary current so we have to assume you have spark besides you said it ran on quick start.

The thing that stands out to me on the ref along with bypass/est is the speed change can you explain this for us?

Does the engine crank evenly?

Injector pulser?  That's something that if needed, I'd have to order as nobody seems to carry that locally.  Which means it's something that can't be rented.  I'd perfer to ohm out first but better yet I have a LCR meter which is the best thing for checking a coil of any kind.

The "zoomed" capture above is at 10ms/div.  Will that suffice or you actually want one done at 10ms/div?  There is a time delay, so I can't always jump on something as soon as you ask.

If you look at the original series of pictures I posted, you'll see that in one frame the Ref(Hi) signal is still ON and the Bypass/EST are flatlined.  I seems that no two waveform series or tries are the same.

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #46 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 6:10am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 2:10am:
the Fluke is much better  Smiley- they make the best handheld scope on the planet IMHO - and we can see the details much better

these injector current waveforms are not showing any inductive reactance when they are turned on - it looks like they MAY be shorted internally if your scope has enough sample power in the timebase you chose. (10ms per divison as Mick said will allow us to get a better picture)

You may have more than one problem but lets repair what we know is broken first.

You should know that most scopes get weaker in longer timebases of 50ms and beyond, so you get less samples of the waveform. In other words, you may not get a TRUE representation of the waveform.
The Flukes are not like a Pico which performs great at 50,100,200ms and beyond. Wink
However the Flukes do have isolated floating grounds which is freaking awesome. Smiley Smiley

Email Tom and ask him for the password to the creative labscope technique page. I think you may have to ask? You can also access the sample rate calculator there which will show you what I mean by the scope getting weaker sample power at long timebases.

Your saying that they all are shorted?  Do they die of old age?  Remember there's only 20K on it.

Well, the Fluke Scopemeter line at least has software support.  They do have a new 4-channel model out now!

I must have had access years ago because I remember using a sample rate calculator.  I called OTC/SPX asking for a spec value to key into the calculator but they quized me on why I wanted it and refused.

I'm not sure if your familiar with Waveform Manager Pro from Metratek?  My first scope of any kind was the OTC Perception which is supported by their software.  The author was part of the Perception design team so he's known at OTC/SPX.  Years ago, he repeatedly approached them about supporting their Solarity with his software.  They jacked him around till he gave up!  Angry

I actually have injector current ramp captures using the Perception from 2003 after replacing the ECM.  I should post one.

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #47 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 6:24am

Retired wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 5:52am:
Injector pulser?

http://www.mactools.com/ShopOnline/Product/tabid/120/productid/325860/variantid/...

I'd perfer to ohm out first but better yet I have a LCR meter which is the best thing for checking a coil of any kind.

The ohms are of each injector?

The "zoomed" capture above is at 10ms/div.Will that suffice or you actually want one done at 10ms/div?

Like Randyhas told you the more time base you have the sope will become less accurate. So let’s try 10ms/div then zoom in if we need. If the wave is still choppy then try 5ms/div.

There is a time delay, so I can't always jump on something as soon as you ask.

Which state and town do you live?

If you look at the original series of pictures I posted, you'll see that in one frame the Ref(Hi) signal is still ON and the Bypass/EST are flatlined.

Right now I am more concerned with the speed of the ref or more so how it slows down.
So I will ask again how does the engine sound cranking continuously.

Not to confuse here but was there ever a noise from the crank pully like a clack clack noise?

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #48 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 7:35am

Mick wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 6:24am:
Injector pulser?

http://www.mactools.com/ShopOnline/Product/tabid/120/productid/325860/variantid/...

I'd perfer to ohm out first but better yet I have a LCR meter which is the best thing for checking a coil of any kind.

The ohms are of each injector?

The "zoomed" capture above is at 10ms/div.Will that suffice or you actually want one done at 10ms/div?

Like Randyhas told you the more time base you have the sope will become less accurate. So let’s try 10ms/div then zoom in if we need. If the wave is still choppy then try 5ms/div.

If you look at the original series of pictures I posted, you'll see that in one frame the Ref(Hi) signal is still ON and the Bypass/EST are flatlined.

Right now I am more concerned with the speed of the ref or more so how it slows down.
So I will ask again how does the engine sound cranking continuously.

Not to confuse here but was there ever a noise from the crank pully like a clack clack noise?

It seems to crank evenly when cranked and no noise from the pulley.

This went from a return to me using Quick Start, two days later it start's right up and did that for a week.  A few times, it started, ran for a few minutes, just stopped, later restarted and to a no start.

I "might" be wrong but it seems that if it's shorted injectors, they wouldn't be a problem' go away and come back later.  Unless, they are/were partial shorts in the coil that have increased.

I'm in Warren, MI 48092, about a mile from the GM Tech Center.

That same injector pulser is at O'Reilly's for $135.99.

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #49 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:02am

Retired wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 7:35am:

Me, You and Randy are all in the same time zone.

Now we need a member who lives close to you to pay you a visit.

I get down to Windsor Ontario for family functions, next time I am there I will cross the bridge and come find you, maybe.

Mick
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #50 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:22am

Quote:
Email Tom and ask him for the password to the creative labscope technique page. I think you may have to ask?

No need for that.  Simply follow the directions on the page under the rolling eyeballs.   Roll Eyes

The Fluke is miles ahead of the OTC but miles behind a Modis/Verus.  Pico is up to 700 times faster than a Modis so all the rest can't even be seen in the rear view mirror.   Wink

Quote:
I called OTC/SPX asking for a spec value to key into the calculator but they quized me on why I wanted it and refused.

There are only two possible reasons they refuse.  

1. They don't know their own hardware (not good)
2. They are ashamed of it. (also not good)

BTW....I see the images Retired posted here reside on an outside server.  We prefer you attach them here so they reside on our server.  This preserves the integrity of the archives and prevents the images from later vanishment.   Shocked

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #51 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:10am

Tom Roberts wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:22am:

A bit off subject - but you should know this is you ever buy another scope for yourself Retired:

I went through the spec game years ago when i decided to buy a scope. None of the scopes I looked at would tell you many specs.
I am very glad I decided to call Tom. He basically told me how a scope works and helped me wade through the BS of other scopes. He wasnt even trying to sell me a scope either. He didnt have to: the pico kind of speaks for itself (specs). Smiley

Im very glad I didnt buy the Solarity - its really just not good enough for automotive use. And what is worse you can get a pico quad kit for only a little more! Shocked

To add to what Mick was saying about noise from the front pulley: if the crank sensor is on the front pulley and you have excessive crank endplay - this can cause erratic signaling.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #52 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:13am

Mick wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:02am:

Me, You and Randy are all in the same time zone.

Now we need a member who lives close to you to pay you a visit.

I get down to Windsor Ontario for family functions, next time I am there I will cross the bridge and come find you, maybe.

The time delay is whenever you post, add whenever I read one and getting/making time to perform the test.

Since your in Canada, do you remember a site there that provided training but also had a forum?  I can't think of the name right now although it's gone, I believe.  It was only for mechanics but I was allowed to post/ask questions because I had the Perception back in 2003.

BTW:  In my last batch of pictures in the Bypass waveform around 3-4V is a shinny spot.  That's the reflection of my bald head in the Solarity!  Roll Eyes

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #53 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:16am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:10am:
Tom Roberts wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:22am:

I went through this years ago when i decided to buy a scope. None of the scopes I looked at would tell you many specs.
I am very glad I decided to call Tom. He basically told me how a scope works and helped me wade through the BS of other scopes. He wasnt even trying to sell me a scope either. He didnt have to: the pico kind of speaks for itself (specs). Smiley

Im very glad I didnt buy the Solarity - its really just not good enough for automotive use. And what is worse you can get a pico quad kit for only a little more! Shocked

I had no room for a laptop on cart with wheels.  That why I got a hand held back then.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #54 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:24am

Retired wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:16am:
I had no room for a laptop on cart with wheels.  That why I got a hand held back then.

I understand what you are saying, but its not necessary to put one on wheels(cart).

Please let us know when you can do the injectors at 10ms per div.

Save this for later after you scope the injectors but:
Do you know how to check for excessive crankshaft end play?
(got a dial indicator?)

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #55 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 12:45pm

Randy H. wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:24am:
Retired wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:16am:
I had no room for a laptop on cart with wheels.  That why I got a hand held back then.

I understand what you are saying, but its not necessary to put one on wheels(cart).

Please let us know when you can do the injectors at 10ms per div.

Save this for later after you scope the injectors but:
Do you know how to check for excessive crankshaft end play?
(got a dial indicator?)

Just think about the weight of a laptop in around 2003(W98).  I laugh when I see one holding one outstretched in one hand now a days.

Dial .001, Browne&Sharp .0005 and Browne&Sharp .0001 which are Last Word type.  I've checked for excessive end play on machinery of all types but never on a engine.

Bill

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #56 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 1:48pm

It is plain to me that there is a problem in the circuitry concerning the injectors; those highly irregular pulses.
   Questions like these come to mind...Is there a voltage drop on the power side of the circuit? Is the wire between the injector and the trigger intact, the connection solid?  Perhaps the fuse for it has corrosion? Does the power side have a loose connection?
It seems like it would be a bad connection on account of the intermittentness and irregular shape.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #57 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:11am

Retired wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:13am:
Since your in Canada, do you remember a site there that provided training but also had a forum?

No Bill I never heard of them.

Thanks for the injector wave but the scope capture is still choppy.

Can you reduce the time base to 2 ms/div to see if that helps.

What location in the circuit are you hooked up to when taken the injector waves?

Did you ohm each injector yet? What are the readings?

The noise I asked about would not come from crank end float it would come from the harmonic balancer they tend to loosen up and cause havoc to the vanes that pass the sensor.

Fisher for voltage and amps I use the Pico I find it better to read the whole circuit with all four channels at once, when you work alone taking a snap shot of the circuit working then reading it is a great help.
For the rare times I ohm check anything I have a fluke 98.

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #58 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:47am

Mick wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:11am:
Retired wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:13am:
Since your in Canada, do you remember a site there that provided training but also had a forum?

No Bill I never heard of them.

Thanks for the injector wave but the scope capture is still choppy.

Can you reduce the time base to 2 ms/div to see if that helps.

What location in the circuit are you hooked up to when taken the injector waves?

Did you ohm each injector yet? What are the readings?

The noise I asked about would not come from crank end float it would come from the harmonic balancer they tend to loosen up and cause havoc to the vanes that pass the sensor.

Fisher for voltage and amps I use the Pico I find it better to read the whole circuit with all four channels at once, when you work alone taking a snap shot of the circuit working then reading it is a great help.
For the rare times I ohm check anything I have a fluke 98.

That Canadian forum helped me use my Perception to find the problem on the same vehicle back in 2003.  Not sure if the URL is in my old laptop as I may have deleted it years ago.

I'm clamped on both trigger wires at the ECM as was asked for earlier.

I thought that a concrete answer as wether or not I have shorted injector(s) could be diagnosed without ohming individual injectors?

Since Tom aimed me at the way into the Creative Waveform page.  He has a voltage waveform for a shorted injector that is exactly what I have posted in Reply #40.

Yes, I have since ohm'd out the injectors.  Specs are 11.8-12.6 ohms.  I get 12.2, 12.2. 12.3, 12.3, 9.2 and the winner at 1.2 ohms.  The low ones are one on each bank.

I've read that ohming injectors isn't a 100% valid check but I'm unsure if that's true.  I was thinking of getting the injector pluser and using it to current ramp each but would that even be needed as it would be just a added expense but would be interesting?

Since injectors aren't cheap.  I've seen online from around $35-$60 and locally $60-$70 each.  Replacie just the two or all six which could be $300.  Remember, there might be other issues like the injector took out the ECM.  I've read this is a known issue on this engine.

Injectors, new, reman, brand name, etc.????????  Suggestions, please.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:58am by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #59 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:14am

Retired wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:47am:
Yes, I have since ohm'd out the injectors.Specs are 11.8-12.6 ohms.I get 12.2, 12.2. 12.3, 12.3, 9.2 and the winner at 1.2 ohms.The low ones are one on each bank.

Awesome Bill

Now disconnect that 1.2 ohm injector and crank it over it may take a long crank even with the throttle flat out on the floor to clear flood but give it a try.

You may try disconnecting that 9.2 injector as well.

It will run rough but it should start at least.

Run out there and give it a try.

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #60 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:59am

Mick wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:14am:
Yes, I have since ohm'd out the injectors.Specs are 11.8-12.6 ohms.I get 12.2, 12.2. 12.3, 12.3, 9.2 and the winner at 1.2 ohms.The low ones are one on each bank.

Awesome Bill

Now disconnect that 1.2 ohm injector and crank it over it may take a long crank even with the throttle flat out on the floor to clear flood but give it a try.

You may try disconnecting that 9.2 injector as well.

It will run rough but it should start at least.

Run out there and give it a try.

What about my questions and sggestions?

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #61 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 9:03am

Retired wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:59am:

Ive got al the answers for you and good ones at that.

The most important one first.

Did it start up?

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #62 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 10:58am

Mick wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 9:03am:
Retired wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:59am:

Ive got al the answers for you and good ones at that.

The most important one first.

Did it start up?

I cut my grass first, so it wouldn't bother me just in case it didn't start.  Just touched the starter and started like it always did!

I have a issue with the vacuum line going to the FPR.  It had a crack but it's odd, a short "S" shaped with 3/16" and 1/4" ID.  That's not a standard size at either end, each pipe a bit over standard size by about .015"-.020".  I had some 7/32" ID vacuum line, so I ran a 1/4" drill bit in one end of a short piece with a hose clamp on the small end.  The bend is too sharp and kinked.  The GM part is obsolete.  Any ideas?

A bit of additional question to ones asked earlier.  What's your procedure?  You scope, suspect a shorted injector.  Do you verify by ohming out or using a injector pulser?  If so, looking at pressure or individual current ramping with the scope again like I was thinking of doing?

Here's a capture with the Fluke and BTW looks pretty good on the Solarity too.  Don't see the pintel bump and it's got straight up start to it.  Just wondering if this is because of the one with 9.2 ohms, location of my clamp or something with the other supposedly good measuring ones??

I have captures taken in 2003 with the Perception that slope right from the baseline as they should and show the pintel bump but were taken right on the injector.

Looking forward to lots of good answers. Cheesy

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 11:37am by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #63 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 2:03pm

Retired wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 10:58am:
Here's a capture with the Fluke and BTW looks pretty good on the Solarity too.

still looks shorted  Sad.  is the 9 ohm injector unplugged in this capture also?

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #64 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 2:14pm

crackerclicker wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 2:03pm:
Here's a capture with the Fluke and BTW looks pretty good on the Solarity too.

still looks shorted  Sad.  is the 9 ohm injector unplugged in this capture also?

No, that's why I mentioned the 9.2 ohm injector.

Yep, that was it, less current draw too.

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 2:35pm by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #65 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 2:52pm

Any ideas?

get some vinyl emissions hose from the parts store and bend it to shape with a heat gun.

YOu can use heat shrink on the ends of a hose or line to build up the OD.
use the adhesive kind of heat shrink if you do this.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #66 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 3:15pm

There are butt splices for vacuum hose that will join two different size vacuum hoses. They are plastic junctions. Those are sold at common autoparts stores. Is there room to take an extra long piece of hose and bend it 360 degress in order to deal wih the kink? Also there are ninety degree junction/splices that would be different sizes.
They are vacuum hose fittings.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #67 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 4:55pm

I've been to a couple of autoparts stores with the part in hand and the only suggestion so far was to visit a junk yard.  Nobody seem to have any stock parts in the vacuum hose fitting section.

The one fitting is about 1 1/2" above the other and only about 3/4" between the two.

I do have some adapters that came with my hand vacuum pump. One is a standard 90 deg. that fits the clear vinyl hose that came with it.  It'll work till I find a better solution.

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #68 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 5:23pm

cut my grass first,

How about I go for a week’s vacation before I answer your questions Smiley

Just touched the starter and started like it always did!

Smiley

How about I thank you for a challenging post. Smiley

My son has a Sunday night hockey game I will be back.

Mick
IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #69 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 5:56pm

yeah - if one was to look back at the beginning of this thread - you would see that Mick nailed this from his very FIRST post. You can call it pattern failure, but I call it as 'Micks a helluva technician' Smiley

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #70 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:36pm

Mick wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 5:23pm:
cut my grass first,

How about I go for a week’s vacation before I answer your questions Smiley

Just touched the starter and started like it always did!

Smiley

How about I thank you for a challenging post. Smiley

My son has a Sunday night hockey game I will be back.

It runs pretty good on only five cylinders but a lot rougher on four.

The site I spoke about from Canada would play these games.  A tech would have had a vehicle with a problem that they fixed.  They'd post the symptoms and ask what they'd want to check.  They'd post what was asked for and away it went.  Most used the Modis.

You play hockey in Canada?????  Nah!  Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:52pm by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #71 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:47pm

Randy H. wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 5:56pm:
yeah - if one was to look back at the beginning of this thread - you would see that Mick nailed this from his very FIRST post. You can call it pattern failure, but I call it as 'Micks a helluva technician' Smiley

Yes, he suspected a shorted injector.  You must admit the scope I was using put some doubt in your minds and can see why but overall, the Fluke mimicked the Solarity without the heavy aliasing.  The software has a tendency to smooth things out a bit too.

I'm glad that I found or actually it was a refind of this site.  I was very close to buying a new ECM.

Looking forward to Mick's suggestions about the injectors and other various questions I had above.

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #72 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:49pm

Since injectors aren't cheap.I've seen online from around $35-$60 and locally $60-$70 each.Replacie just the two or all six which could be $300.  

Injectors, new, reman, brand name, etc.????????Suggestions, please.

You are familiar with Linder tech so it would be in your best interest to give them call.
You make the call on whether the vehicle is worth the upgrade Bosch injectors, but I will insist you put a matched set no matter what.
http://www.lindertech.com/reconinj.htm

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #73 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:57pm

Mick wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:49pm:
Since injectors aren't cheap.I've seen online from around $35-$60 and locally $60-$70 each.Replacie just the two or all six which could be $300.  

You are familiar with Linder tech so it would be in your best interest to give them call.
You make the call on whether the vehicle is worth the upgrade Bosch injectors, but I will insist you put a matched set no matter what.

So, your suggesting a full set, no matter what?

What about your procedure?  How do you verify which injector is bad or do you go with one bad, they all are bad?  Wouldn't that be up to the customer?  I have to consider this myself as the vehicle is blue booked at only $500!

Just looked at that link.  The price for a set of Multec's isn't that much more than purchasing two locally but I'll pass on the DRI's.  I'll call them tomorrow.

BTW: I noticed that there's no dielectric grease on the injector connector contacts.  I worked on my old '97 Ranger and they did.  GM didn't back then, still don't, do you??
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:34pm by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #74 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 5:48am

Mick wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:49pm:

Called LTS this morning and they don't even have the cheaper Multec's for my vehicle, so I had to go with the Bosch DRI's.  They don't have/do my Multec's because of the frequent short outs.

The guy went on to say that the ECM will go out at 150K.  I told him that I had already replaced the ECM at 14K and it has only 20K on it now.  His response was, "Oh my!!".

What about your diagnostic procedure for injectors?  How do you verify them?  If it's OHMing only, what's the uses for a injector pulser?  LTS even mentions using one on their new injectors if they've been sitting on the shelve for a long time and they pulse their's before shipping.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2011 at 7:15am by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #75 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:34am

I would replace ALL of the injectors on the vehicle, unless you want to do the job again in the near future.
My OTC injector balance/coil tester is good for testing injector flow on the car(but not pattern of spray) and also will test the coil for shorts
Since you have a scope and you are not a technician I would not worry about buying one

The vertical rise in the current ramp when it is turned on clues you in to the shorted injector - as I point out on the pic below

The only time i use a ohmmeter is when I have a bad short somewhere in the vehicle and I have to power it down

Heres the pic showing where to look for bad injectors - the same effect can be seen in any type of shorted solenoid.
To completely verify an injector you have to flow it, check for shorts and opens, and check the spray pattern. However there are a few tricks with a scantool you can use to ID a fueling problem and narrow it down. Fuel trims are the big tip off here. Im not a gas analyzer guy, but you can also use on of those to verify.

If you really want to learn more about vehicles, I would recommend subscribing to Flatrater.com, and pay a visit also to ATS training - they have a lot of good stuff on there for free. And of course, the absolute best place to learn about scopes is: well you know Wink
your already here Grin
Another good one is Larry Carleys website - aa1 car. But it is geared more towards beginners.
And then you have Motor Magazine, Engine builder magazine, and the list goes on.
Theres a lot of good info on the net - you just have to find it! Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:51am by Randy H. »  

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #76 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:18am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:34am:
I would replace ALL of the injectors on the vehicle, unless you want to do the job again in the near future.
My OTC injector balance/coil tester is good for testing injector flow on the car(but not pattern of spray) and also will test the coil for shorts
Since you have a scope and you are not a technician I would not worry about buying one

The vertical rise in the current ramp when it is turned on clues you in to the shorted injector - as I point out on the pic below

The only time i use a ohmmeter is when I have a bad short somewhere in the vehicle and I have to power it down

Heres the pic showing where to look for bad injectors - the same effect can be seen in any type of shorted solenoid.
To completely verify an injector you have to flow it, check for shorts and opens, and check the spray pattern. However there are a few tricks with a scantool you can use to ID a fueling problem and narrow it down. Fuel trims are the big tip off here. Im not a gas analyzer guy, but you can also use on of those to verify.

If you really want to learn more about vehicles, I would recommend subscribing to Flatrater.com, and pay a visit also to ATS training - they have a lot of good stuff on there for free. And of course, the absolute best place to learn about scopes is: well you know Wink
your already here Grin
Another good one is Larry Carleys website - aa1 car. But it is geared more towards beginners.
And then you have Motor Magazine, Engine builder magazine, and the list goes on.
Theres a lot of good info on the net - you just have to find it! Wink

I did order a six pack of DRI's from LTS.

So do you use your OTC unit to verify a shorted injector?

What do you use for voltage drop test, the Pico?

Believe it or not I have a 5-Gas Analyzer and was going to use it maybe.  I found the software on my old laptop, installed it, powered it up to see what if anything was in memory and was greeted with the "Failed Calibration" and "Replace O2 Sensor".  The thing is old and no parts available but I "think" there are other units that use the same O2 sensor.

This vehicle has a ICM and ECM.  Now, since they are combined in the PCM and have been since OBD-II, aren't you more limited as to what can be done with a scope?  Don't you now a days need the systems used at dealers like the Ford IDS?  I have limited access to Ford's Oasis System and can look at all the manuals.  Every year the info has been reduced.  A big change came in 2006 in the Ford PC/ED manuals as they removed info concerning memory locations of PIDS .  My main ride is a '09 Ford Escape and there was some major changes in the PCM starting in that MY and even still to date there are several OBD-II devices that don't work correctly on it.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #77 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:25am

Retired wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:18am:
I did order a six pack of DRI's from LTS.

So do you use your OTC unit to verify a shorted injector?

What do you use for voltage drop test, the Pico?

Good job ordering six injectors - smart move Cool

I use the Pico or my scantool to verify injector operation (the scantool isnt an exact science on this though)
It really depends on what is closest to me and how fast I need to get the job done Smiley

I use my Fluke 87 III for voltage drop testing - it is more accurate than the Pico in that respect, and Its not so easy to blow up, and costs 1/4 as much as the Pico if I do blow it up on one of my stupid days Grin

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #78 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 5:23pm

yeah - if one was to look back at the beginning of this thread - you would see that Mick nailed this from his very FIRST post. You can call it pattern failure, but I call it as 'Micks a helluva technician'

Thanks for the recognition Randy It’s nice to be appreciated now and then.

Retired wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:47pm:
You must admit the scope I was using put some doubt in your minds and can see why but overall

Absolutely not Bill
You see we use the Pico and both your scopes here just don’t cut it in our line of work.
Maybe ok for the DYI, what we did was to tell you how to use your scopes to the maximum capacity that those limited capacity scope could be used.
What I suggest you do if you want to tinker, is to purchase a quad kit from Tom and join in the Pico Group area were you will find all the techniques us guys use every day in our bays.
This is not the forum to give out this precious information.

Retired wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:36pm:
The site I spoke about from Canada would play these games.A tech would have had a vehicle with a problem that they fixed.They'd post the symptoms and ask what they'd want to check.They'd post what was asked for and away it went.

When you buy the http://www.autonerdz.com/picoquad4000.htm you will find lots of this type of case studies, a lot of people learn from them, it’s a great way to share. So jump in and come drink the  Smiley

Mick
IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #79 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 7:56pm

Now, since they are combined in the PCM and have been since OBD-II, aren't you more limited as to what can be done with a scope?

depends on who you ask  Grin.  scantools have made a big leap, but scoping still plays a major role in other aspects.

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #80 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 7:57pm

Mick wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 5:23pm:
yeah - if one was to look back at the beginning of this thread - you would see that Mick nailed this from his very FIRST post. You can call it pattern failure, but I call it as 'Micks a helluva technician'

Thanks for the recognition Randy It’s nice to be appreciated now and then.

Retired wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:47pm:
You must admit the scope I was using put some doubt in your minds and can see why but overall

Absolutely not Bill
You see we use the Pico and both your scopes here just don’t cut it in our line of work.
Maybe ok for the DYI, what we did was to tell you how to use your scopes to the maximum capacity that those limited capacity scope could be used.
What I suggest you do if you want to tinker, is to purchase a quad kit from Tom and join in the Pico Group area were you will find all the techniques us guys use every day in our bays.
This is not the forum to give out this precious information.

Retired wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 7:36pm:
The site I spoke about from Canada would play these games.A tech would have had a vehicle with a problem that they fixed.They'd post the symptoms and ask what they'd want to check.They'd post what was asked for and away it went.

When you buy the http://www.autonerdz.com/picoquad4000.htm you will find lots of this type of case studies, a lot of people learn from them, it’s a great way to share. So jump in and come drink the  Smiley

Mick:

Nope, a Pico is out of the question for me.  Maybe back in 2003 when I got interested in this stuff and chose a handheld over a laptop tethered Pico but I'm afraid it's too late for me now.

I'm a DIY in every catagory, speciality of none except when you get into mechanical stuff as that was my trade.  I was a Navy electronics tech but that was in the mid-sixties, so I'll say that I have an electrical background.

Pico could be the very best but I doubt if every shop has one.  Anybody in my area??  I asked above but wasn't answered.  Hasn't the advancements made in the automobile made through the years made the need for scopes, less and less?  The older manuals had waveforms, no such thing in newer manuals  which are thinner every year while explaining less and less also.  Hasn't this given way to the use of things like the Ford IDS which might have a built-in scope module?

Since the ICM is combined with the ECM, renamed the PCM under OBD-II and no published info about the PCM, aren't you left in the dark?  Or are the high end scanners that good.  I know that my ProSumer level scanner shows more PIDs on a 2004 Ford Taurus than my 2009 Ford Escape.

I breezed through some pages of other sections and didn't see much of anything about newer vehicles problems.  Lots of nineties vehicles but above two thousand, very few.

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #81 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:11pm

crackerclicker wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 7:56pm:
Now, since they are combined in the PCM and have been since OBD-II, aren't you more limited as to what can be done with a scope?

depends on who you ask  Grin.  scantools have made a big leap, but scoping still plays a major role in other aspects.  

Other aspects?  In what way?  I can see possibly ignition but once it's into the PCM, what do use or even, how do you know since nothing is explained.  As the shop foreman at my Ford dealership stated, "If it ain't in the book, Ford doesn't want us to know".

I've asked them about the operation of what I call their UnIntelligent Four Wheel Drive System.  They couldn't answer and the Ford HotLine said was unavailble.  So I then opened the consule where the 4WD module is and connected a scope to it.  Never believe a sales brochure or even pages at Ford operated sites.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #82 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 12:40am

Retired wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 7:57pm:
Anybody in my area??  I asked above but wasn't answered.  Hasn't the advancements made in the automobile made manuals had waveforms, no such thing in newer manuals  which are through the years made the need for scopes, less and less?  The older thinner every year while explaining less and less also.  Hasn't this given way to the use of things like the Ford IDS which might have a built-in scope module?

Since the ICM is combined with the ECM, renamed the PCM under OBD-II and no published info about the PCM, aren't you left in the dark?  Or are the high end scanners that good. 

The need for scopes is actually more and more - you have that backwards. There used to be only a few wires in a vehicle - I can re-wire a 1970 Camaro in 1 day. But give me a 2010 Cadillac and there are MILES of wiring - it would take a month. The scope can help you narrow down problems in these miles of wire very quickly.

Who needs a book of waveforms? We have a LIBRARY of waveforms here on this site, and in the pico software, and we dont have to carry a book around!

Scantools have a sample rate of data, just like a scope - the less pids you have - the more samples it takes of data. There are a lot of things a scantool can miss - but the scanner can LEAD you to the right area quickly if you know what to look for.

I can see you have a lot of misconceptions about scopes and their use in the automotive field.
Just know this - there is a time to use a tool - and a time to put it away and use something else. Almost every technican I know of will ALMOST always pull out his/her scantool first, even when there are no codes. My Pico is pretty much my ace in the hole! Smiley

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #83 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 6:32am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 20th, 2011 at 12:40am:
Retired wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 7:57pm:
Anybody in my area??  I asked above but wasn't answered.  Hasn't the advancements made in the automobile made manuals had waveforms, no such thing in newer manuals  which are through the years made the need for scopes, less and less?  The older thinner every year while explaining less and less also.  Hasn't this given way to the use of things like the Ford IDS which might have a built-in scope module?

Since the ICM is combined with the ECM, renamed the PCM under OBD-II and no published info about the PCM, aren't you left in the dark?  Or are the high end scanners that good.  

The need for scopes is actually more and more - you have that backwards. There used to be only a few wires in a vehicle - I can re-wire a 1970 Camaro in 1 day. But give me a 2010 Cadillac and there are MILES of wiring - it would take a month. The scope can help you narrow down problems in these miles of wire very quickly.

Who needs a book of waveforms? We have a LIBRARY of waveforms here on this site, and in the pico software, and we dont have to carry a book around!

Scantools have a sample rate of data, just like a scope - the less pids you have - the more samples it takes of data. There are a lot of things a scantool can miss - but the scanner can LEAD you to the right area quickly if you know what to look for.

I can see you have a lot of misconceptions about scopes and their use in the automotive field.
Just know this - there is a time to use a tool - and a time to put it away and use something else. Almost every technican I know of will ALMOST always pull out his/her scantool first, even when there are no codes. My Pico is pretty much my ace in the hole! Smiley

If scopes are needed more and more where are the posts for that 2010 Caddie here?  I know what a scope can do but just see their usefulness dwindling on newer vehicles and the lack of posts here on those vehicles seems to prove that.  Don't take this as a personal attack but it seems that the auto manufactures are the cause of this.  I'm not sure if they are trying to force customers to go back to the dealers for service or what?

Being a person that drove around one day with two DMMs going, my Perception in my lap, shifting a 4-speed, I believe in scopes.

These days most technical information is proprietory and not even included in their own manuals.

I used to mention using a scope to electricians at work and they would laugh even though they had access to them. I remember one urnating contest where I suggested using a scope and mechanical lost the battle.  Three days of downtime and $6,000 of percision bearings later, the problem was still there.  The problem turned out to be the cord to a proximity sensor or what you may call a crank sensor which could have been easily diagnosed with a scope or even a DMM used correctly.  We normally had to rebuild something to prove that it wasn't mechanical.  Trial and pay! Smiley

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #84 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 8:46am

Retired wrote on Sep 20th, 2011 at 6:32am:
If scopes are needed more and more where are the posts for that 2010 Caddie here?  I know what a scope can do but just see their usefulness dwindling on newer vehicles and the lack of posts here on those vehicles seems to prove that.  Don't take this as a personal attack but it seems that the auto manufactures are the cause of this.  I'm not sure if they are trying to force customers to go back to the dealers for service or what?

I dont know what you mean by 'lack of posts on these vehicles'
remember you are logged in to the free access area - and you are not a member of picogroup. we have people post waveforms almost every day of every type of car you could imagine. Wink
But you have to buy a scope from tom to participate in that section.
sorry.............

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #85 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 3:55pm

Randy H. wrote on Sep 20th, 2011 at 8:46am:

I dont know what you mean by 'lack of posts on these vehicles'
remember you are logged in to the free access area - and you are not a member of picogroup. we have people post waveforms almost every day of every type of car you could imagine. Wink
But you have to buy a scope from tom to participate in that section.
sorry.............

Hmm, that could indeed be the reason that I see no posts!

You guys never replied if you use dielectric grease "even" if there was none from the factory?

I might get the DRIs tomorrow depending on if LTS shipped the day I ordered.  I decided to try applying power through the injectors and just tapping a ground while using an amp probe and scope.  I started with the worst one.  I wasn't getting anything and discovered that I somehow had the polarity reversed.  I got a square waveform with a width of over 100ms.  I then tried one of the good ones but got the same thing.

I wondered then if I damaged the good one.  I ohm'd both.  The bad one that read 1.2 ohms before, now reads 11.2 ohms and the good one that read 12.2 ohms before , now reads 5.8 ohms.  I could maybe see that I stressed the good one that may have been weak but what happened to the bad one with which the resistance increased?

Bill

IP Logged

daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA, Pennsylvania, USA
Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #86 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 4:35pm

Randy H. wrote on Sep 20th, 2011 at 8:46am:
But you have to buy a scope from tom to participate in that section.sorry.............

Tom does offer unlimited access to the Autonerdz support system for an annual fee.

You can read about it here:
http://www.autonerdz.com/picokit.htm#_Plus_you_get

HTH

dave

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #87 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 5:07pm

Retired wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:11pm:
Other aspects?In what way?

first things that come to mind are misfires and no starts.  scan data can be useless on no starts.  and even ford's ids can misidentify a misfiring cylinder.

Retired wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:11pm:
I can see possibly ignition but once it's into the PCM, what do use or even, how do you know since nothing is explained.

you lost me a little here.  i'm guessing you are referring to ford's pip and spout, or even gm's est being internal to the pcm.  doesn't really matter because the coil still needs permission to fire.

I know what a scope can do but just see their usefulness dwindling on newer vehicles 

hmmm . . . at least until you find yourself needing to look at voltage over time  Grin.

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #88 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 1:35am

crackerclicker wrote on Sep 20th, 2011 at 5:07pm:
first things that come to mind are misfires and no starts.  scan data can be useless on no starts.  and even ford's ids can misidentify a misfiring cylinder.

hmmm . . . at least until you find yourself needing to look at voltage over time  .

+2 Smiley

To answer the one we missed:

If the electrical connector is sealed (weatherpack, metripack, micropack, etc.) dielectric is not necessary. You really only need that on your battery cables and plug wires. NEVER use it on HO2S wiring unless you want to buy another.

Geez you have a lot of questions Retired.  Cheesy

Just joking with ya Grin

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #89 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 4:50am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 21st, 2011 at 1:35am:
first things that come to mind are misfires and no starts.  scan data can be useless on no starts.  and even ford's ids can misidentify a misfiring cylinder.

hmmm . . . at least until you find yourself needing to look at voltage over time  .

+2 Smiley

To answer the one we missed:

If the electrical connector is sealed (weatherpack, metripack, micropack, etc.) dielectric is not necessary. You really only need that on your battery cables and plug wires. NEVER use it on HO2S wiring unless you want to buy another.

Geez you have a lot of questions Retired.  Cheesy

Just joking with ya Grin

I monitored a wireless controled switch output voltage for three days using my Fluke 123.  Part of the power company's interruptible AC service.

Not familiar with the names you metioned but they aren't like the finned rubber seals used on the FP relay.  There is a seal in the connector most of them stuck to the injector when removed, one fell off the rear bank, dropped into the abyss and had to be fished out.  So, I guess the grease isn't needed.

Any comment about the changes in resistance of the injectors?  I'm probably doing things that you just never do as you don't have the time to experiment.  Looking at one of those injector pulsers, it uss a single 500ms pulse, so my quick ground taps shouldn't have damaged them.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2011 at 6:58am by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #90 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 9:52am

resistance changes as a coil heats up and cools down
and also the short may be changing its resistance some due to gasoline inside the injector. Hydrocarbon is a conductor.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #91 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 11:48am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 21st, 2011 at 9:52am:
resistance changes as a coil heats up and cools down
and also the short may be changing its resistance some due to gasoline inside the injector. Hydrocarbon is a conductor.

They read with the same changes as I posted yesterday.

Of course, this was an intermittent problem that changed daily at times.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #92 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 12:02pm

Retired wrote on Sep 21st, 2011 at 4:50am:
Any comment about the changes in resistance of the injectors? 

what were you talking about then? Huh

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #93 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 12:23pm

Randy H. wrote on Sep 21st, 2011 at 12:02pm:
Retired wrote on Sep 21st, 2011 at 4:50am:
Any comment about the changes in resistance of the injectors?  

what were you talking about then? Huh

I meant that the one injector that read 1.2 ohms the very first time, read 11.2 ohms after I accidentally hooked it reversed polarity yesterday and it still reads that today.  The other one which was a good at 12.2 ohms droped to 5.8 ohms yesterday after triggering it connected correctly, still reads that today.

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #94 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 4:43pm

I received the DRIs from LTS today.

I OHM'd them all out but was very suprised to see one with sharp pointed top edge of the connector at one corner rolled over with large burrs.  I was doubting if the connector would go on, so I scraped them down a bit with a three-corner scraper and tried a connector.

Half of them had a white residue on the contacts.

I found the single sheet of instructions for the upper retaining clip somewhat confusing, so I called LTS.  I ended up talking to Jim Linder who explained what they were trying to say.  Why not just say that the Multec has one retaining groove but the DRI has two, use the top groove.

I mentioned the connector which he suggested was a UPS problem.  No hole in the box, bubble wrap or ZipLoc bag, so I doubt it.

He said that they wire brush the contacts and couldn't understand why I received ones with dirty contacts.  He said that they use dielectric grease on every injector replacement job they do.

Bill

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #95 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 7:57pm

Yeah. I work in the Alaska commercial fishing fleet mostly as shoreside repair and sometimes crew. Marine electricians hereabout avoid wire splices and always use dielectric grease - particularly on exterior wiring.
   In my own experience that is what has been necessary. Outdoors no splices except some offshore repair. Oxygen will combine with the copper to form a cuprous oxide, regardless of how much contact there is  - at the molecular level.
   Molecules are much smaller than a thousandth of an inch. Our pin jabbing through the insulation does introduce oxygen to the metal of the wire.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #96 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 8:23pm

fisher wrote on Sep 22nd, 2011 at 7:57pm:
Yeah. I work in the Alaska commercial fishing fleet mostly as shoreside repair and sometimes crew. Marine electricians hereabout avoid wire splices and always use dielectric grease - particularly on exterior wiring.
  In my own experience that is what has been necessary. Outdoors no splices except some offshore repair. Oxygen will combine with the copper to form a cuprous oxide, regardless of how much contact there is  - at the molecular level.
  Molecules are much smaller than a thousandth of an inch. Our pin jabbing through the insulation does introduce oxygen to the metal of the wire.

Every wire has a beginning and an end where the bare copper is exposed to some degreee.

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #97 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 6:29am

Installed the Bosch DRIs the other day and it's running again.  I was hoping for a smoother idle but that didn't happen but maybe that's another issue.

I fail to understand LTS's caution as Jim Linder told me over the phone about using the top groove for the locking clip.  There is only one groove at the top.  There is no lower groove as they are really two slots parallel to the connector.  If you use those them and turn the injector, the clip would be forced out of the slot and could move on its own.

Are there any installations where those two slots are used?  Any rotation would release the injector!  Seems dumb.

Bill

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #98 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:59pm

Granted, a cars engine bay is usually much less corrosive than a salt atmosphere; the difference is obvious when you see it.
     The Idle Air Control valve is radical to control of the idle speed, period. If it has a zillion miles on it you could say there is no need to diagnose anything as natural circumstances are bound to wear it out.
I'll bet if you replace it with a GM part and per chance a PCV valve and PCV hose - GM of course - that you would find a difference...providing of course you haven't done that. It sounds like it is upon it's golden hour as a vehicle and a few dollars spent will give it a new lease on life.
The dielectric is an insulator and in the case of use on ignition modules - the thick film on the back of the module provides a heat sink; aborbs and dissipates heat so that you dont leave that for the transistor to do; then using a dielectric so that we can avoid transmitting or drawing power with our heatsink grease...

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #99 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 5:48am

fisher wrote on Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:59pm:
Granted, a cars engine bay is usually much less corrosive than a salt atmosphere; the difference is obvious when you see it.
    The Idle Air Control valve is radical to control of the idle speed, period. If it has a zillion miles on it you could say there is no need to diagnose anything as natural circumstances are bound to wear it out.
I'll bet if you replace it with a GM part and per chance a PCV valve and PCV hose - GM of course - that you would find a difference...providing of course you haven't done that. It sounds like it is upon it's golden hour as a vehicle and a few dollars spent will give it a new lease on life.
The dielectric is an insulator and in the case of use on ignition modules - the thick film on the back of the module provides a heat sink; aborbs and dissipates heat so that you dont leave that for the transistor to do; then using a dielectric so that we can avoid transmitting or drawing power with our heatsink grease...

Only 20K on this vehicle.  The single wire O2 sensor was defective at 14K along with the thermostat which was causing it to be in closed loop while idling but open at speeds in cooler weather.

I'm not sure what your trying to say about dielectric and heat sink grease.

Bill

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #100 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 9:05am

I was pointing out that the grease used for heat sinks on the back of ignition modules is a dielectric heat sink also that dielectric refers to the substance being a non-conductor of electricity.
I couldn't wrap my head around the term dielectric until I looked it up or saw it refered to as an insulator.
When put on connections it is used for the same reason as plastic around the wire; it is an insulator.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #101 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 4:17pm

fisher wrote on Sep 28th, 2011 at 9:05am:
I was pointing out that the grease used for heat sinks on the back of ignition modules is a dielectric heat sink also that dielectric refers to the substance being a non-conductor of electricity.
I couldn't wrap my head around the term dielectric until I looked it up or saw it refered to as an insulator.
When put on connections it is used for the same reason as plastic around the wire; it is an insulator.

I'm not sure about that as heat sink grease is to provide a good thermo bond to dissipate heat.

Permatex has it also, called Tune Up Grease at times.  Don't you use this type of grease at times?  Sometimes used right from the factory.

I think that I mentioned above that Jim Linder from LTS said that they use it on every injector job they do.

NyoGel 756G is a silica thickened, light viscosity, synthetic hydrocarbon grease intended for electrically conductive, instrument and bearing applications. This is their latest product but have some under their old product number, whatever that is.

Bill

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #102 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 7:23pm

Yes, it is used to dissipate the heat build up in the module. Ford, anyhow, used a dielectric grease for their heat sink grease. I swab the plugs and wires generously with it.
I actually buy larger squeeze tubes of it; Dow-Corning makes dielectrics of various grades. Keep that oxygen from making contact with any metal if possible.
I posted about another brand once, Super Lube. They have both a multi-purpose grease suitable for dielectric and a devoted dielectric grade of grease.
Multipurpose Super Lube  worked well as I heard in an ambient temperature AC power environment - 'is an excellent di-electric' - and is rated grade 2 as a heavy duty grease.
Ford uses dielectric on it's brake calipers...probably on account of electrolysis. Other folks prabably use it for corrosion resistance properties such as a dielectric enhances.  So, it is not just lubricating; it is serving an electrical function. We recently have tried it on an application where aluminum was having a corrosion issue; a piece that common grease wasnt helping. Conductive grease enhanced the interface between two dissimilar metals, the aluminum cover and it's stainless steel hinge.
The aluminum sacrifices to corrosion more readily when well grounded to a more corrosion resistant metal  - the stainless steel. An aluminum hatch may have stainless steel hinges .if we allow the aluminum to corrode away - which aint gonna happen here if we can help it - we witness the stainless steel's corrosion rate increase. That is an electrolytic process. Hence the dielectric lubricant on the Ford caliper...I think.
   Well. Electrolysis. Corrosion and dielectrics. Picoscopes.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #103 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 8:43pm

fisher wrote on Sep 28th, 2011 at 7:23pm:
Yes, it is used to dissipate the heat build up in the module. Ford, anyhow, used a dielectric grease for their heat sink grease. I swab the plugs and wires generously with it.
I actually buy larger squeeze tubes of it; Dow-Corning makes dielectrics of various grades. Keep that oxygen from making contact with any metal if possible.
I posted about another brand once, Super Lube. They have both a multi-purpose grease suitable for dielectric and a devoted dielectric grade of grease.
Multipurpose Super Lube  worked well as I heard in an ambient temperature AC power environment - 'is an excellent di-electric' - and is rated grade 2 as a heavy duty grease.
Ford uses dielectric on it's brake calipers...probably on account of electrolysis. Other folks prabably use it for corrosion resistance properties such as a dielectric enhances.  So, it is not just lubricating; it is serving an electrical function. We recently have tried it on an application where aluminum was having a corrosion issue; a piece that common grease wasnt helping. Conductive grease enhanced the interface between two dissimilar metals, the aluminum cover and it's stainless steel hinge.
The aluminum sacrifices to corrosion more readily when well grounded to a more corrosion resistant metal  - the stainless steel. An aluminum hatch may have stainless steel hinges .if we allow the aluminum to corrode away - which aint gonna happen here if we can help it - we witness the stainless steel's corrosion rate increase. That is an electrolytic process. Hence the dielectric lubricant on the Ford caliper...I think.
  Well. Electrolysis. Corrosion and dielectrics. Picoscopes.

You may have heard about the problems with aluminum wiring in homes causing fires?  You can purchase Ideal Noalox Anti-Oxidant at Lowe's used to coat the wires where they are terminated.  I wonder if that would help?  It's messy though!

Bill

IP Logged

Pages: 1