Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
'90 Buick start/stall (Read 84,691 times)
Retired

Re: '90 Buick start/stall
Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:15pm

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 11:33am:
Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:22am:
What about the point in my reply to Randy about having the 5V Bypass in the first screen picture with the DREF as you call it?  

With not knowing the time scale on that screen I would have to guess that the engine was idleing slower than the othere screens.

Something you have to understand is that dref is buffered inside the ECM, that will give a delay in EST being produced.

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:22am:
Clamp both injector feeds? I can go to the injector fuse, correct?I have a fuse adapter set.

The fuse box is ok but you will need 2 fuse adapters.

Why have your scope leads all over the place when you can get what I asked for right from the front seat.  

It's a bit pale, not sure if you can see the red grid lines at 10ms/div.  No idle, it never starts, just cranks or that's what it's doing right now.

Two fuse adapters?  I see only one 25A fuse and it "might" be in the glove box fuse panel.

The diagram on various circuits show connections of CA, CB, CC, CD and YE yet IIRC, there are three connectors.  Like the injectors are BC11 and BC12.  There are ORN wires list as BC16 and BB1 listed as BATT yet there is another ORN BA8 listed as serial data.  Is this a guessing game as to which ORN wire is which or is there a way to know on which connector to look?

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #16 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:50pm

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:15pm:
It's a bit pale, not sure if you can see the red grid lines at 10ms/div.No idle, it never starts, just cranks or that's what it's doing right now.

What is the voltage scale of that EST wave?

Are you saying those waves you put up are from it cranking no start?

If so let’s get RIGHT back to basics

Remove one sparkplug lead from a sparkplug and  insert a spark tester like a st125 or if you don’t have one of these get someone to crank the engine while you use a screw driver inserted into the end of the sparkplug boot and held quarter inch from the block, is there spark.

If this is too hard for you get your amp clamp and connect it to the pink wire of the ignition module are there primary pulses.

But just pull the ECM out and hook up to C11 and C12 of that connector and get injector pulses.

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 1:22pm

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:50pm:
Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 12:15pm:
It's a bit pale, not sure if you can see the red grid lines at 10ms/div.No idle, it never starts, just cranks or that's what it's doing right now.

What is the voltage scale of that EST wave?

Are you saying those waves you put up are from it cranking no start?

If so let’s get RIGHT back to basics

Remove one sparkplug lead from a sparkplug and  insert a spark tester like a st125 or if you don’t have one of these get someone to crank the engine while you use a screw driver inserted into the end of the sparkplug boot and held quarter inch from the block, is there spark.

If this is too hard for you get your amp clamp and connect it to the pink wire of the ignition module are there primary pulses.

But just pull the ECM out and hook up to C11 and C12 of that connector and get injector pulses.

They are 5V/div and yes, crank, no start.  I can do the C11/C12 and injectors your way.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:25pm

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:55am:
 Not sure where you get the 800 RPMs figure from?

Just a guess - like I said before I didnt know the make and model so i was making assumptions
And so you know whats listed in service manuals (theory of operation) isnt even accurate most of the time. I know this sounds disturbing but its the truth.

If the car doesnt start at all - you dont need the scope yet.

Get back to basics as Mick said - but i will add a few things he forgot to mention (micks a helluva technician - listen to him and pay attention) Smiley

Check fuses and battery voltage FIRST!

smell exhaust after cranking and see if it gets gas

check ignition for spark with a spark tester as mick said (or use a timing light and see if it flashes, but this is not as effective)

If these check out check timing with a timing light in bypass mode while cranking
After doing these basic tests report back your findings so we can narrow things down

Note:
If you have a good scantool you can put the car in bypass by putting it in 'field service mode'

Always check basics first before scoping and jumping in head first - it will save you time and headache later:)

Sorry for the confusion - when you said HEI i assumed it was a distributor system. Since you are not a technician it is a little hard for me to follow you at times.

Now that I know the engine and vin we are dealing with it makes things much easier. Thanks for the info. Wink

But bear with us and we will help you fix your car. Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:43pm by Randy H. »  

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician
Elevation: AVG 648 ft.

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #19 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:46pm

No fancy scantool here like you guys use but one trip at a time, please!

Mick had reading current on the injectors.  Well, I've asked about these connectors.  BC11 is supposed to be LT BLU and BC12 is supposed to be LT GRN.  Ain't a LT GRN anywhere on the ECM.  Plus there are three shades of BLU.  A DRK BLU, a MID/DRK BLU and two LT BLU.

I assume that they'd be next to eachother but I'm lost now.

It's still holding a bit of fuel pressure from my last try too.

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #20 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:54pm

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 1:22pm:
They are 5V/div and yes, crank, no start.I can do the C11/C12 and injectors your way.  

I don’t like that bypass being high and EST activated on cranking.

Will you capture a start up like the one I have attached here I want to see that the bypass is not shorted to power right from the start of Key on engine off to key on engine crank.

Does this engine sound as if it is cranking very fast like no compression or even worse an uneven compression.

Please do the injector capture.

3_1_start_up.gif (102 KB | )
3_1_start_up.gif

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #21 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:07pm

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:54pm:
Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 1:22pm:
They are 5V/div and yes, crank, no start.I can do the C11/C12 and injectors your way.  

I don’t like that bypass being high and EST activated on cranking.

Will you capture a start up like the one I have attached here I want to see that the bypass is not shorted to power right from the start of Key on engine off to key on engine crank.

Does this engine sound as if it is cranking very fast like no compression or even worse an uneven compression.

Please do the injector capture.

I agrees there about the Bypass/EST while cranking.

Starter speed sounds normal, it had been a super quick starting vehicle, just touch the key.

You want to see EST, Bypass and battery voltage while cranking?  I can't do ignition at the same time as it's a different scope section.

I can't do the injector current because as I mentioned above, I can't ID the proper wires at the ESM as the wire color codes don't match the diagram.

One odd thing that I'm unsure of.  During these no starts, I used my scanner to try to capture the no start event.  I start the capture then hit a button which marks a trigger point, it'll take 13 readings after that point, stop by itself and give me 26 readings over time plus the trigger point.  What it does is quit with a connection loss error.  Not sure if this is a OBD-I limitation, scanner quirk or caused by my problem?  Just another piece of the puzzle.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #22 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:14pm

you never did tell us if you are getting spark or if the exhaust smells like fuel when cranking. These are simple tests that dont take 2 minutes.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #23 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:58pm

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:07pm:
You want to see EST, Bypass and battery voltage while cranking?

No thank you

I can't do ignition at the same time as it's a different scope section.

Then do it on its own I would like to see what it looks like either way

I can't do the injector current because as I mentioned above, I can't ID the proper wires at the ESM as the wire color codes don't match the diagram.

Then follow the harness from the injectors for about 8 inches, you will have to undo some of the harness insulation back to the connector, there you will find the wires you need  three dark blue will become one dark blue and for the other bank you will find three dark green wires will become one dark green.

Hook up to these 2 wires

I used my scanner to try to capture the no start event.

Does the rpm pid show around 300rpm when key is in cranking position?

Mick
IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #24 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:16pm

One black connector on the ecm has 32 holes you will find C 1, 2 and 3 are empty in one row just count from there across untill you get to C 11 and C 12 those dark green and dark blue are the injector trigger wires

The other black connector only has 24 holes.

Mick
IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #25 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:23pm

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:46pm:

Do you have a gauge hooked up to the fuel rail?

If so when you turn the key to the on position does the pressure increase on the gauge, if so what does it read?

This is important for me to know please answer as soon as possible

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 7:49pm

Randy H. wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:14pm:
you never did tell us if you are getting spark or if the exhaust smells like fuel when cranking. These are simple tests that dont take 2 minutes. 

Not yet as I'm by myself.  Now looking for my remote starter switch.  I don't recall any exhaust smells.

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 7:52pm

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:58pm:
You want to see EST, Bypass and battery voltage while cranking?

No thank you

I can't do ignition at the same time as it's a different scope section.

Then do it on its own I would like to see what it looks like either way

Then follow the harness from the injectors for about 8 inches, you will have to undo some of the harness insulation back to the connector, there you will find the wires you need  three dark blue will become one dark blue and for the other bank you will find three dark green wires will become one dark green.

Hook up to these 2 wires

I used my scanner to try to capture the no start event.

Does the rpm pid show around 300rpm when key is in cranking position?

In the capture mode, PIDs aren't for view.  I never tried to just view the PIDs while cranking.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:32pm by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #28 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:28pm

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:23pm:
Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 2:46pm:

Do you have a gauge hooked up to the fuel rail?

If so when you turn the key to the on position does the pressure increase on the gauge, if so what does it read?

This is important for me to know please answer as soon as possible

It's on the FPR schrader valve.  I was going to save Part II for later but here it comes! Smiley

During the week or so when it was starting I connected the gauge on the FPR, KOER I'd get 36psi which is within specs.  KOEO, by the time I get to the guage it showed 41psi.  I put a current clamp probe with another scope I have on the FP relay and get around 2A.  AllDataDIY states KOEO at 40-47psi, KOER at 3-10psi less with 3500rpm.

After reviewing my Current Ramping 1,2,3 from Linder Automotive,  I'm assuming that it has 8 commutator bars, it calculates to 3640rpm.  Sounds close enough.  I emailed them and Jim said more than likely eight bars.

Diagram shows FP Prime Test Lead which Jim mentions in his video but no loaction is given plus it shows two ORN wires and there's only one.  I find this red wire with a connector up near the firewall.  Red wire on FP relay to.

I go directly to the battery with scope/clamp.  I get 4A, 46psi at 2000rpm.  Thinking it might be the FP relay, checks fine on bench but that's just with a meter.  I jury rig the relay to use the other contact while directly to the battery but get the same 4A, etc.  Later I set a meter so I can see it when KOEO and I get the same 4A for that few seconds it runs then.

I can't find any reason for the current draw difference.  Possible bad ground with the extra load of engine, etc. running?  All grounds check good.

I also put vacuum on the FPR while connected directly to the battery and the current only dropped .5A.

The one time that it started and ran for about five minutes, I was watching the injector pulse width.  It was around 2-2.5ms, it just stopped like one turned it off, no roughness or anything.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #29 - Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:54pm

Your pump does seem to be spinning slow at 2000 -3000 rpms. If the commutator is really 8 bars check for restricted fuel filter, restricted return line, rail, etc.
If current is higher than normal and rpm is low, there is a restriction somewhere in the system that was not there before.

You still did not answer whether you have spark or not, or even gas smell at the exhaust when cranking. The gas smell will tell me if your injectors are working, and checking for fuel could have been done much more quickly.

I hope your first test of 2A was accurate - because you could end up replacing a part you dont need if it was not accurate. Are you bleeding air out of the lines when testing pressure? Also I have seen some equipment differ almost 1 amp when measuring so be careful here. Also your test point is a big factor here - you may have been pulling only half the true current through the wire you measured on.

You really do need to check for spark and be sure injectors are working. You can see if injectors are working by:

Crank engine while watching fuel gauge. You should see a needle fluctuation indicating injectors opening. OR just smell the exhaust as I said twice earlier in the thread.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2011 at 11:33pm by Randy H. »  

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7