Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
'90 Buick start/stall (Read 84,692 times)
Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Re: '90 Buick start/stall
Reply #30 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 5:14am

Retired wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 8:28pm:
It's on the FPR schrader valve.I was going to save Part II for later but here it comes!

During the week or so when it was starting I connected the gauge on the FPR, KOER I'd get 36psi which is within specs.KOEO, by the time I get to the guage it showed 41psi.I put a current clamp probe with another scope I have on the FP relay and get around 2A.AllDataDIY states KOEO at 40-47psi, KOER at 3-10psi less with 3500rpm.

I am not liking the saved parts that you are keeping from us I feel this is becoming a game and I am not into games.

If you could just give us the answers to what we ask it would speed this thread up as we have to get back to our own problems come Monday morning.

So it’s the answer to this

Mick wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 6:23pm:
If so when you turn the key to the on position does the pressure increase on the gauge, if so what does it read?

And this

Randy H. wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 5:14pm:
you never did tell us if you are getting spark or if the exhaust smells like fuel when cranking.

That we need to know

Please don’t guess and please carry out the test on the fuel pressure gauge exactly like I asked.

So fuel pressure reads 0 on the gauge you turn the key on engine off and the fuel pressure rises to what pressure?

And is there spark?

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #31 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 7:13am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 10th, 2011 at 10:54pm:
Your pump does seem to be spinning slow at 2000 -3000 rpms. If the commutator is really 8 bars check for restricted fuel filter, restricted return line, rail, etc.
If current is higher than normal and rpm is low, there is a restriction somewhere in the system that was not there before.

You still did not answer whether you have spark or not, or even gas smell at the exhaust when cranking. The gas smell will tell me if your injectors are working, and checking for fuel could have been done much more quickly.

I hope your first test of 2A was accurate - because you could end up replacing a part you dont need if it was not accurate. Are you bleeding air out of the lines when testing pressure? Also I have seen some equipment differ almost 1 amp when measuring so be careful here. Also your test point is a big factor here - you may have been pulling only half the true current through the wire you measured on.

You really do need to check for spark and be sure injectors are working. You can see if injectors are working by:

Crank engine while watching fuel gauge. You should see a needle fluctuation indicating injectors opening. OR just smell the exhaust as I said twice earlier in the thread.

First of all.  I appreciate all the suggestions I have received here but I don't have all my tools at my disposal every day.  I had neglected to charge the Solarity battery packs and I had a problem with that.  I'm not going to bother a neighbor numerous times to turn the key while I check this and that.  I haven't been able to locate my remote starter switch and I hate to purchase another one because I can't find it.

I read the FP current using a Fluke 123 scope, Fluke 88V DMM, Extech clamp meter and Solarity at the same point(s), all agree.

No I didn't bleed the air form the FP gauge as I never heard of doing that but will now.  All the FP was done while it was "running" and I didn't mention it because refering to AllDataDIY which "doesn't" refer to using the the test lead connection are within specs and current draw isn't listed.

I also tried connecting the FP test lead directly to the battery and it still doesn't start.

The pressure drops off while it sits and returns during the current state of start/stall, so to me, I have fuel pressure.

I didn't smell gas or exhaust.  Hardly a way to smell the tailpipe for exhaust while cranking whithout help.  Don't think that a remote start switch's leads are that long anyway.

Some of the tests that you guys have suggested I can do but others I can't till I find my remote start switch.  I haven't used it since the sixties but remember seeing it lately, somewhere.  If push comes to shove, I'll purchase another one.

I you choose not to respond anymore at all or not for a week.  That's fine with me as it'll give me time to complete the suggetsed tests.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #32 - Sep 11th, 2011 at 11:43am

Retired wrote on Sep 11th, 2011 at 7:13am:
I didn't smell gas or exhaust.  Hardly a way to smell the tailpipe for exhaust while cranking whithout help

You crank the engine over yourself, then go to the back of the vehicle and smell the exhaust.

You dont have anyone around that cna crank the engine over for you while you check for spark?

And doing the fuel pressure as Mick asked is important.

If you cannot do these three tests exactly as we ask we cannot help you.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician
Elevation: AVG 648 ft.

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #33 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:26pm

Okay, I’ll try to answer the questions.

Bleeding any trapped air in the line going to the pressure gauge didn’t change the reading.  I do smell a faint exhaust smell.  The first screen shot below shows that I have primary coil current.  From notes that I made on captures back in 2003, the coil is supposed to fire when the EST signal goes to zero which it is.  The injectors are another story.  Not only erratic but not consistent in amplitude either.  From what I’ve read the high impedance injector should draw between .6-1.2A.  One of the screens below shows two spikes at about an amp but nothing over that.

The first shot in any series is noted what the waveforms are.  All connections made at the ECM.

I also connected my scanner while cranking and the RPM showed zero.  Not if this is a OBD-I, ECM or scanner issue.

Just for the heck of it I tried some Quick Start and it did run for a few seconds but I couldn’t keep it running.  It sure is a fuel issue but is it because of the injectors or their control??

... ... ...

...  ...  ...  ...

...  ...  ...

...  ...  ...

...  ...  ...

...   ...
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:24am by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #34 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:36pm

retired,

i'm just jumping in on this thread tonight (and am on my way to bed), but wanted to point out that your injector amp trace looks like you've got shorted injectors.  can you capture another inj amp with more closeup so we can see a more defined waveform?

EDIT:  well, maybe i'll take a better look tomorrow 'cause the inj volts capture don't look right either  Smiley.  goodnight

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #35 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:05am

Retired wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:26pm:
I also connected my scanner while cranking and the RPM showed zero.

That is normal - never pay too attention to certain scandata PIDS until the vehicle is started
It certainly looks like you have bad injectors here.

If you can do s closeup of the injectors only using 1 channel, we can see whether they are shorted. This will eliminate the PCM as a possibillity.
Some PCMS will shut down the quad drivers when a short is detected.

Thanks for answering back Smiley

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #36 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:07am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:05am:
Retired wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:26pm:
I also connected my scanner while cranking and the RPM showed zero.

That is normal - never pay too attention to certain scandata PIDS until the vehicle is started
It certainly looks like you have bad injectors here.

If you can do s closeup of the injectors only using 1 channel, we can see whether they are shorted. This will eliminate the PCM as a possibillity.
Some PCMS will shut down the quad drivers when a short is detected.

Thanks for answering back Smiley

Current or voltage?  I grabbed a voltage waveform right at one injector on the engine to verify the squarewave look with a Fluke 123 and got the same thing.  I grabbed but didn't save a current waveform at one injector with the Solarity.  It didn't have much slope and was real ragged looking.

The Solarity has some built in setups for testing different components and all you do is run them.  Ones for current limiting and non-limiting injectors.  They are triggered setups.  Tried both and neither triggered or captured anything.

Wouldn't a short show abnormally high current spike in the waveform?  What about the Bypass going ON/OFF during cranking?

It's a PITA to capture waveforms, take pictures, edit, upload and create a post.  OTC/SPX to this date has no scope that allows uploading to a PC for saving data or screens.  Angry

The editor here is a bit funky when it comes to placing photos also.  The last two in the series above wouldn't go side by side as the others did for some strange reason.

I had to purchase another remote starter switch as a I couldn't find my old one.  I had to order the two different terminal tools from O'Reilly's.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:39am by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #37 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:11am

Keep in mind the images posted appear to be from a Genisys OTC scope and it is pretty weak in resources.  One should be cautious to make calls on longer time base with this scope.  With the data displayed I would be questioning the accuracy of the trace in regard to the injectors.

If the OTC scope is the one only available it can be used but it does not take much to push it beyond its limits.

Sam

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #38 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 9:17am

jarvissamuel wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:11am:
Keep in mind the images posted appear to be from a Genisys OTC scope and it is pretty weak in resources.  One should be cautious to make calls on longer time base with this scope.  With the data displayed I would be questioning the accuracy of the trace in regard to the injectors.

If the OTC scope is the one only available it can be used but it does not take much to push it beyond its limits.

Sam

They are from a Solarity which I think if just the Genisys scope module alone.

Bill

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #39 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 10:14am

A short will show a upward line instead of a slope on the current ramp of the injector. Try using a short timebase on the scope - a few ms like 5 ms and then trigger a few captures. As JS mentioned the Solarity has a weak sample rate at longer timebases (im guessing 20-100ms)

It really sucks you dont have a picoscope - you could have nailed this much more quickly. The solarity is really a cop out for a scope.

If you cant see anything definitive with the Solarity:

You might try ohming the injectors and comparing them to spec, or take the fuel rail loose - disconnect harness and give them power and ground (jumper wires) with the fuel pump on and make sure they work and spray fuel.

Be careful not to make sparks near fuel - and also do not leave the fuel injectors on for too long. If they are good that will shorten their life.

Hope this helps

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Retired

Reply #40 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 11:56am

Randy H. wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 10:14am:
A short will show a upward line instead of a slope on the current ramp of the injector. Try using a short timebase on the scope - a few ms like 5 ms and then trigger a few captures. As JS mentioned the Solarity has a weak sample rate at longer timebases (im guessing 20-100ms)

It really sucks you dont have a picoscope - you could have nailed this much more quickly. The solarity is really a cop out for a scope.

If you cant see anything definitive with the Solarity:

You might try ohming the injectors and comparing them to spec, or take the fuel rail loose - disconnect harness and give them power and ground (jumper wires) with the fuel pump on and make sure they work and spray fuel.

Be careful not to make sparks near fuel - and also do not leave the fuel injectors on for too long. If they are good that will shorten their life.

Hope this helps

Here's some from a Fluke 199B 200MHz 2.5GS/s scope.  Lots of features but sometimes too sensitive.

Basically the same as the Solarity with better detail.  Notice how varied they are even when not zoomed in on.  Used the same 50ms time base as the last batch from the Solarity.

I was thinking about pressuring the rail by running the FP and then power them.  The pressure should drop.

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #41 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 4:12pm

Retired wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 11:56am:
I was thinking about pressuring the rail by running the FP and then power them.The pressure should drop.

Bill
Remember the question I had for you about what happens to the fuel gauge when you turn the key on engine off did you ever check that?

If the results are what I would expect then you could carry your pressure drop test with just turning the key on and off.

Just put 10 ms/div on that fluke scope and capture that injector again please.

Mick
IP Logged

Retired

Reply #42 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:40pm

Mick wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 4:12pm:
Retired wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 11:56am:
I was thinking about pressuring the rail by running the FP and then power them.The pressure should drop.

Bill
Remember the question I had for you about what happens to the fuel gauge when you turn the key on engine off did you ever check that?

If the results are what I would expect then you could carry your pressure drop test with just turning the key on and off.

Just put 10 ms/div on that fluke scope and capture that injector again please.

Just turning the key to KOEO and OFF, the pressure goes to 46psi then drops to around 41psi.

I think that the injectors are supplied with 12V at KOEO.  I'm not following how that's going to check for pressure drop unless I ground the trigger side??  That also powers the ECM.

I was orginally thinking of doing it that way but thought, why power everything else too?

Checking for a pressure drop will answer one question I've thinking about.  Is it possible that the FPR could be blocking gas from the injectors?  It seemed to be working properly while it running but it's not even starting now.  I could power the FP from the test lead and use a vacuum pump but is that a 100% function test??

I also remember reading years ago about a way to test or compare injector banks.  You cross the two trigger wires and use a current clamp therefore having current flow in opposite directions.  If they are equal in theory, you'd read 0.0A.

You guys aren't commenting about the fact that the Bypass/EST are switching back and forth while cranking.  Or do I have more than one problem?

BTW: The Autonerz Creative Waveform requires some sort-of username and password to view.  Might need to be a Pico owner??

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:59pm by Retired »  

Bill

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #43 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 8:38pm

Retired wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:40pm:
Just turning the key to KOEO and OFF, the pressure goes to 46psi then drops to around 41psi.

Fantastic so we know we have good pressure

I think that the injectors are supplied with 12V at KOEO.I'm not following how that's going to check for pressure drop unless I ground the trigger side??That also powers the ECM.

You are going to get an injector pulser and disconnect all injector electrical harnesses (very easy to do on this set up) At this point why don’t you use your ohm meter and check resistance across each injector?
Then turn key on to prime injector rail and then press pulser which will drop pressure X amount then go to next injector prime and pulse all pressure drops had better be the same.

Where is the 10ms/div injector wave from the fluke?

Is it possible that the FPR could be blocking gas from the injectors?

The regulator is the last part of the fuel flow, it allows pressure to build not block.

You guys aren't commenting about the fact that the Bypass/EST are switching back and forth while cranking.Or do I have more than one problem?

You are showing us primary current so we have to assume you have spark besides you said it ran on quick start.

The thing that stands out to me on the ref along with bypass/est is the speed change can you explain this for us?

Does the engine crank evenly?

Mick
IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #44 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 2:10am

the Fluke is much better  Smiley- they make the best handheld scope on the planet IMHO - and we can see the details much better

these injector current waveforms are not showing any inductive reactance when they are turned on - it looks like they MAY be shorted internally if your scope has enough sample power in the timebase you chose. (10ms per divison as Mick said will allow us to get a better picture)

You may have more than one problem but lets repair what we know is broken first.

You should know that most scopes get weaker in longer timebases of 50ms and beyond, so you get less samples of the waveform. In other words, you may not get a TRUE representation of the waveform.
The Flukes are not like a Pico which performs great at 50,100,200ms and beyond. Wink
However the Flukes do have isolated floating grounds which is freaking awesome. Smiley Smiley

Email Tom and ask him for the password to the creative labscope technique page. I think you may have to ask? You can also access the sample rate calculator there which will show you what I mean by the scope getting weaker sample power at long timebases.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2011 at 2:26am by Randy H. »  

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7