Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Secondary (Read 7,094 times)
rheipp

Secondary
Oct 11th, 2006 at 6:06am

Hello All,

I was at a Bill Fulton class the last two nights, he talked alot on secondary igntion.  I asked a question as to a downward sloping spark line that clears up and is very intermittent.  He asked what kind of scope I used, I said Pico.  His next comment surprized me.  Pico's are not good at secondary due to the high capacitance leads required for PC based scopes.  When he said Pico's don't do secondary he prefaced this with "this is not my opinion this is what John Thompson says"

Has anyone had a problem with secondary?  Because I haven't

Bob

Bob&&THE DRIVEABILITY GUYS
WWW WWW pearlygatesfarm  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Secondary
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 8:29am

Hi Bob,

This sounds like a comment from someone that hasn't used a Pico.  John Thompson does though.  Perhaps he will chime in here and elaborate.

Pico provides the most detailed secondary ignition waveforms available.  Just ask Mac VandenBrink, the secondary Sensei.  Here is just one example:

http://www.autonerdz.com/flash/95camaro.html

You do have to know how to configure PicoScope for maximum performance to get the best secondary results.  As you know, we cover that base for Autonerdz customers with all our training movies and other support options.  There are Pico users out there that are not pleased with the performance, however, I am not aware of any in our group.  Those who are not pleased, didn't get them from Autonerdz.   Tongue

I have also heard of how inconvenient Pico is to use, not being a hand held scope.  This has been compared to a gorilla around the neck.  Again, funny how I never hear that from those who have a Pico and know how to use one  Grin

I think John knows how to use a Pico, even though he is not part of the Autonerdz Users Group.  I can only assume that whatever comment John made, it was misunderstood.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 11:34am

Hi Bob,
        I haven’t seen Bill for quite awhile but I have had conversations with him on secondary ignition. I am an avid Pico user and IMHO there is no better automotive scope available. I whole-heartedly agree with Tom. For detail in secondary waveforms Pico will outperform all others.
       Bill has either misunderstood or misremembered our conversations and has misquoted me. I did tell Bill that Pico won’t raster secondary ignition but the main point of our conversations was that I don’t particularly like secondary analysis with any scope, period. I think It’s fine for Bill, Mac V and (anyone else who feels comfortable with it for that matter) but personally I believe there are just too many variables and there is a danger that some techs may tend to fool themselves by reverse analyzing secondary patterns (after a fault was found and corrected) to explain why it looked like “this” or “that”. Read more here if you wish (you’ll notice my secondary patterns were captured with Pico and my comments were not on Pico but secondary patterns). http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1103693399/30#30

Again my opinions were on analyzing secondary ignition for root cause, NOT on PicoScope. For those who like to use secondary analysis the new Pico Mixmaster http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1160081947should be great tool.

John Thompson&&Thompson Automotive Labs&&www.ThompsonAutomotiveLabs.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 8:52am

Hi John,

Thanks for clearing that up.  Don't you hate it when that happens  Angry  Something gets taken out of context or just totally misrepresented.  

I've had that happen to me a number of times.  It's an occupational hazard.  For example, what I say about primary current ramping.  I say that the current ramp cannot tell you if the coil is good or bad for many reasons.  This has been interpreted to mean that current testing of coil primary is useless.  Apparently, they didn't bother to listen when I said that current testing of primary is the ONLY way to validate the primary drive.  Tongue

Quote:
Pico's are not good at secondary due to the high capacitance leads required for PC based scopes.

I can't understand this part either.  Wonder where that came from.  It's nonsense.   Smiley

Perhaps if Bill Fulton drops in he could explain.  

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

rheipp

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 10:31am

Thanks Tom & John,

I know that I didn't misunderstand what I heard because the guy I work with looked at me and said did I hear him right.  We both love our Pico's and wanted to see if we were missing something about secondary.

Bob

WWW WWW pearlygatesfarm  
IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 7:37pm

Hi Bob,

Let me preface this first with saying, I highly respect Bill.

We have had many great conversations. Some on scopes, and some on scanners. He never mentioned to me that PicoScope was not good for secondary. I don't think at the time he had ever used one. I know the classroom material is done with other scopes. DPO on some, and MTS 5100 on others. Both of these are killer scopes, except the 5100 has big box ignition analyzer capabilities (sort of). He knows which scope to use for his material. I did not see any PicoScope captures in that material.

I only remember one time when my PicoScope freaked out analyzing secondary/primary and the 5100 didn't. This was a COP Ford ramping coil current and using the faulty coil for my trigger to find a misfire before I received the PDS. Maybe ths is what Bill is talking about, I'm not sure.

Maybe you could ask him for more details about his statement. I'm sure he would answer you.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2006 at 8:05pm by Carl Grotti »  

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 10:58pm

Hi Carl,

Yeah.  I have a lot of respect for Bill too.  That's why I am surprised to hear such nonsense attributed to him.  Need to get him into a PicoScope so he knows what he has been missing  Roll Eyes

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

rheipp

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 10:50am

Hi Carl,

Let start by saying that I have alot of respect for You, Tom and John.

I'm not trying to slam Bill, I seems like a very smart guy, but I would have a hard time going to another of his classes due to comments and statements that he made.  I feel that the class room is for talking about the subject that the promotional material states, this was not the case with the class I attended.  I have attended about 70 hours of training this year and have only been dissappointed 3 times by the instructors.  Every time it was due to the instructor getting off subject to tell the class how smart they are or to share thier political view.  If someone is teaching then teach.  If they are in front of the class it's because they shoulld know something the class wants or needs to know.  In my experience the real good guys don't tell you haw good they are or how much they know, they show you.  Such as Yourself and Tom and a host of others.

Let me close by I'm not trying to kiss up to anyone and I will tell someone when I feel they did me wrong.  I know that I'm not the best tech out there, that's why I attend the training.  I hope to be able to learn and retain as much as I can.

Bob

WWW WWW pearlygatesfarm  
IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 7:43pm

Bob,

Yes, Mr. Fulton is a very smart guy. I'm a knowledge sponge. I couldn't begin to tell you how many classes I've attended. Some Instructors are poor, good, better, or best. I'd put Bill in the best catagory. This why I've attended three of his classes and will continue to do so in the future. I'm a little surprised your experience was so much different than mine.

Instructing can be difficult due to students derailing the subject material at hand. I witness this all the time. It is a balancing act to answer questions, yet not drift off too far because there is only so much time to do your presentation.

Students come in different sizes and shapes. Their existing knowledge has a lot to do with this. They may be in a class they aren't prequalified for and nothing makes sense to them. Case in point: After one of Mr. Fultons classes, I heard two people talking about how boring it was. I was shocked! I couldn't write fast enough to keep up with all the nuggets he was giving out. These were the same two guys talking to each other during class about who knows what to the point I couldn't hear the instructor. Some students might be forced to go to class by their employer and could care less about the material. Some students may actually think the class is about product promotion when it actually wasn't.  As a matter of fact, at most events, the Instructors are formally told that this is strictly prohibited, and the ones I've been to, these guidlines are adhered to.

Another case in point: Some techs say that if you want to learn PicoScope, you should purchase the Nerd series. That is absurd. Those DVDs are about Lab Scope Diagnostics (LSD) and instrumentation limitations. Techs need to know technique and how far they can push what they have. It isn't about learning how to use PicoScope, Tom has other material for that. And that library keeps growing. His classes don't promote PicoScope either. He just happens to use that and the Fluke to show the difference. He has talked people out of it because it wasn't right for them. You need to match the instrument with the tech.

I think it is good for an Instructor to give some background so the students know who they are dealing with. Credentials builds trust.

I'm not doubting your observation. It is likely mine would have been different, but that is normal. Techs often view a presentation in a different light. Wish I could of been there. What you are saying doesn't sound like the same Bill that I know.

Regards,

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged