Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Using AES Wave and Pico .psd files (Read 7,672 times)
mdog
Picogroup

Woof! Woof!

Everett, WA, Washington, USA
Everett, WA
Washington
USA

Using AES Wave and Pico .psd files
Jul 30th, 2006 at 7:45pm

Like many of you I have wrestled with the question of the best way to organize my Pico Scope files.  I needed to have a system to be able to find what I’m looking for and where I put it.  Right now I have folders on my hard drive to accomplish this to a point.

I’ve used the AES Wave for a few years to keep track of screen captures I have done with my Fluke 98II and have really liked the program.  I found that when I bought a Pico Scope I didn’t use the AES Wave as much.  I knew I could save a Pico Screen as a JPG and put it into the AES Wave, but then I had a thought!  Wouldn’t it be great if you could launch Pico Scope from a record in the AES Wave?  I talked to Jorge Menchu about it and he liked the idea.  He was able to make a nice option in the AES Wave to accomplish this.  The AES Wave has all the fields and a nice place to make notes about the Pico file you save as a JPG, now there is a way to make a link to the Pico .psd file you have on your hard drive and launch Pico Scope by clicking on the “Links | Open Links List”  Jorge has added to the AES Wave.

If you use AES Wave already, or if you are just installing it as a new program, there will be to things you will need to do to get this option working.  Let me tell you that I am using Windows XP and I can’t tell you for sure that this will work with other versions, but I don’t have any reason to think it wouldn’t.  You will need to get two files from Jorge.  One file is the new “aeswave.exe” file and the other is a file called “long16.vbx”.  Jorge told me that if anyone wanted the files just to email him at aeswave@comcast.net

The aeswave.exe goes in the aeswave directory and replaces the old aeswave.exe.  I recommend that you rename the original aeswave.exe to aeswaveOLD.exe before you copy the new aeswave.exe into the aeswave directory on you hard drive.  Once you get the new aeswave.exe put in the directory, you will find out it won’t work.  That’s why you need the other file “long16.vbx”.  You will need to put the long16.vbx file into your C:\Windows\system directory.  Once you get that done you will be able to use the AES Wave with the new “Links” feature.

The screenshot below should explain how the new feature works.  I made the notations using another new program that Jorge is working on called the Anno Wave. You can download a beta of the Anno Wave at www.aeswave.com/downloads/annowaveinstall.exe

You can fine the AES Wave here  http://www.aeswave.com/Products/Product.asp?i=97&ci=15
If you scroll to the bottom of the page you can download the AES Wave for free and use it for 30 days to see how you like it before you buy it.

IP Logged

mdog
Picogroup

Woof! Woof!

Everett, WA
Washington
USA

Using AES Wave and Pico Flash Movie
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 2:43pm

I had some spare time and wanted to show you all how well the AESwave works with PicoScope and other apps now.  If you want the new feature to link files in AESwave just email Jorge Menchu at aeswave@comcast.net and ask him to send it to you.  He did make a full install that was 9 meg if you want it that way just tell him. For those of you who already use the wave, you can get by with the two files mentioned in my first post above.  The AESwave used to be pretty expensive at over 200 bucks, but you can buy it now for 79 bucks.  If you don't use it yet, I think it's a worthwhile program.  That's just my opinion though.  Well enough chit chat, on with the show.
Cool
http://www.autonerdz.com/flash/aeswavelinks1.html

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Re: Using AES Wave and Pico .psd files
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:42pm

Thanks for the movie showing it in use. So this can link can be used for webpages as well like iatn library files?  One other question aes wave has a power user module available have you used this if so what did you think of it?

Sam

IP Logged

Harv

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 9:23pm

Hi Samuel,

Sorry for barging in here.

The Power User add-on adds some nice functions to the AES Wave program. One that I especially like was the ability to upload directly into the iATN database. It would open the link for you and convert the captures as required so it was just a matter of copy and paste. Very fast and easy.

The Power User use to be an upgrade at additional cost back in the "early" days. However, I think it is included with the program now. When you activate the program with Carlos at AES, just tell him to activate the Power User as well. If he seems puzzled, just tell him that I said it was ok.  Smiley

One note of caution with using the upload to iATN feature. If you use Zone Alarm Pro, you will have to make an "exception" to allow the program work properly, otherwise it will block it.

Harvey.

IP Logged

mdog
Picogroup

Woof! Woof!

Everett, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 2:00pm

Yes Sam,
You can link internet addresses in the notes section too. You would have to put them in the notes section when you did the edit and it would look like this;

<www.google.com>; (notice the <brackets> around the web address. you have to put those in there for it to work.

Now when you opened the Links list www.google.com would be there and you can hightlight it and click ok, then it will take you to Google in this example.

I'd like to mention here too, that if you want the version of AESwave that has the links feature you will have to email Jorge to get it at aeswave@comcast.net He hasn't posted a new complete install version on the AES website yet and I'm not sure when that will be.  I know that he did send me a complete install that was 9 meg. which worked fine. It had one error message at the end of the install, which can be disregarded and the install works perfectly.

I did buy the power user module, but that was long ago, it may come with it now.

IP Logged