Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

ADC 212/3 info (Read 8,750 times)
vwtech605
Freshman Member

ADC 212/3 info
Oct 9th, 2006 at 6:31am

Hi everyone,

I have a chance to purchase a used ADC 212/3 for half the cost of a new 3223. With the savings
I could purchase an autowyze probe, a pico 20:1 attenuator and a nerd cd. I work mostly on
VW's and would be using the ADC 212/3 for ignition coil diagnosis and using my firstlook sensor.
After reading posts on this forum and the pico forum it seems that the 3223 is many times
better than the ADC 212/3. Would I notice the difference for what I am using the scope for or would
a 3223 be the best way to go.

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Re: ADC 212/3 info
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 8:41am

Each has different ability levels.  The 3223 is a usb scope so no power supply or usb adapter are required. 
THis allows for a little more potrability.  The 212 series have extenal trigger available since there is not available on the 3000 series.  I currently have both the 212-3 and the 3223 2 channels.  I learned on the 212-3 and it is still a decent scope but the 3223 has far more resolution this allows for more time on the screen without a lack of detail.

Either one should work OK as long as you are aware of the limitations of each.

Sam

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 9:04am

Hi Tech,

You will probably want two attenuators with that 212/3.  Our kits have an attenuator for each channel because you will need them.  Kits from other sources do not.  Our kits also include our exclusive support and training system (normally $350 year)  

The 212/3 is a very capable scope and will outperform most automotive scopes on the market.  I can't tell you what to choose, but I can provide you with some information to help you make the choice.

• The 212/3 has an external trigger and signal generator feature that the 3000 series units do not have.  

• The 212/3 is a parallel unit, which is much slower at communication with the PC than the 3000 series USB models.

• The 3000 series can sample hundreds of times faster due to its 512K buffer (32K on the 212/3) and 20MHz ADC (3MHz in the 212/3)

• The 3000 series has thermal fuse protection to help guard against shorts through the scope common grounds.

• The new PicoScope 6 can run the 3000 series at sample rates thousands of times faster than the 212/3.

• The 3000 series has a +-50v range. The 212/3 +-20v.

• A minor thing, the 212/3 requires an external power supply while the 3000 series is USB powered.

In short, you will notice the difference.  Also if your PC does not have a parallel port or one that cannot be configured to work with the 212/3, you will need to purchase a $90 USB converter to make it work.  That's unusual though.  Most can be made to work by adjusting settings in the BIOS.  Usually that's not even an issue and it just works.

Feel free to call me if you want to discuss.  Toll free US/CA 877-628-4899

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

vwtech605
Freshman Member

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 11:56am

Thanks for your responses, the best bang for the buck seems to be a Master Kit II. Unfortunately
it is out of my budget for now, the 3223 I could afford would come with only the software and cable for $810 CAD +  tax as compared to a used ADC 212/3 for possibly $400 CAD and no tax.  My laptop has only 2 USB 1.1 ports so I would have to also purchase a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card which would add expense to the 3223 purchase. The used ADC 212/3 would come from Ron Brown at Autoknow. The next time I speak with Ron I will see if he can bring in Autonerd products. Tom, I was amazed to read from your reply that the 3223 is hundreds to thousands of times faster than the 212/3, which makes
my LS2000 seem like a paperweight. Maybe saving up for a 3223 is the way to go.
http://www.autonerdz.com/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif
Best regards, Dan

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 2:25pm

Tech,

Ron Brown is a good guy.  Last I knew he was a Pico distributor up there.  I try to refer my Canadian inquiries to him, but most still seem to purchase from Autonerdz anyway.  UPS Express to Canada usually runs $100-$130 USD. 

The 3000 series runs fine over USB 1.1 but in block mode the data transfer takes longer.  This just means slower screen updates and bigger spaces between screens not slower sample rates.  However, using PicoScope 6 streaming nearly a million samples per channel to PC memory, I found that there was no measurable difference between USB 1.1 and 2.0.  If you get a PCM/CIA card, make sure it can power USB devices adequately or you'll then need a powered USB hub.   Sad

As for sample rates, you can compare the 212/3 and 3223 by using our sample rate calculator:

http://www.autonerdz.com/java/SampleRateCalculator.html

Divide buffer and ADC maximums by two for dual channel use on both units.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged