Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Power Probe Hook (Read 29,174 times)
PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Re: Power Probe Hook
Reply #15 - May 30th, 2013 at 10:11pm

No worries, I just actually bought a PPIII a couple days ago because I missed having one, so now I have both tools.  It's a rather large investment, but I would rather someone at least be able to test it out rather than collect dust on the bottom shelf of my diag. cart.  Really the only thing I don't like about it is the heft of it, but obviously it was built that way to be able to carry the extra current that it can.  Anyhow, let me know if you are interested Spark, and we'll try and figure something out.  If you can wait another couple weeks, I wonder if the shipping will be cheaper from Florida as opposed to Oregon???  Then again, maybe not, dunno.

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

autosparky
Super Nerd
Picogroup

blind worker

Porirua, New Zealand
Porirua
New Zealand

Reply #16 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 3:50pm

PRESTON wrote on May 30th, 2013 at 6:29am:
Sparky, figure out what I gotta do and where to send it, you pay for shipping and you can have mine.

thanks all the same but couldn't steal it from you

I'm sure someone here will buy it

can't see, can't hear, can't remember

IP Logged

BMW Scott
Super Nerd
Picogroup

High Point, NC, North Carolina, USA
High Point, NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #17 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 5:08pm

Okay wasn't going to mention this before, but I feel I must now.  When I first got my unit, it had an issue.  It popped a 65A circuit breaker on a headlight bulb.  Called PowerProbe and they told me to send it in.  Okay three weeks or so later I got it back without an explanation and when I called to check on it during that time, they couldn't find my unit and said they would call me back.  They never did.  Okay so I called them once I got it back and asked what they found.  They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it, but it wasn't popping circuit breakers any more.  I caulked it up to user error some how.  Then 2 days ago I hooked the unit up and it wouldn't go beyond the initial serial number screen.  Called PowerProbe and they said I would have to send it in again.  Okay so this is the second time I've been without it since Jan this year.  I hope it's just my tool and all of them aren't like this, but it is upsetting.  I'm actually going to request they send me another unit.  Who knows what will happen with that request.

Scott J Hicks

IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Reply #18 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 9:10pm

autosparky wrote on Jun 8th, 2013 at 3:50pm:
thanks all the same but couldn't steal it from you

No worries, it's here if you want it just let me know.  I'm a little busy with packing and final arrangements for my move to Florida, 3 days left, so there isn't much I can do about it now anyhow.

Scott, sorry to hear about your issues, I have never had any problem with mine.  Of course, I can't attest to the quality of customer service due to the fact that my unit has been operating just fine.  I don't think I have stressed the amperage load much greater than 20, maybe, so I can't talk about how close to 65amps I have gotten.  I'll be picking up all my tools from work on Tuesday, if for some insane reason I remember to, I'll see how many amps I can successfully run through it without popping the breaker and let you know what happens.

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

BMW Scott
Super Nerd
Picogroup

High Point, NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #19 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 8:28am

PRESTON wrote on Jun 8th, 2013 at 9:10pm:
Scott, sorry to hear about your issues, I have never had any problem with mine.  Of course, I can't attest to the quality of customer service due to the fact that my unit has been operating just fine.  I don't think I have stressed the amperage load much greater than 20, maybe, so I can't talk about how close to 65amps I have gotten.  I'll be picking up all my tools from work on Tuesday, if for some insane reason I remember to, I'll see how many amps I can successfully run through it without popping the breaker and let you know what happens.

Yeah straight out of the box I had problems until I sent it off.  They kept trying to tell me it was going into ark detection mode.  But it wasn't.  When the unit goes into ark detection mode, it emits an alternating tone, but it doesn't pop the circuit breaker.  My unit was popping the circuit breaker.  So I decided to use a headlamp bulb so there was no chance of ark detection mode kicking in.  started at 20A and moved up until it was still popping at 65A.  That's when I called them back and they finally told me to send it to them.  They still said they couldn't find anything wrong with the unit, but it wasn't popping circuit breakers when I got it back and I used the same headlamp bulb to ensure I wasn't crazy.  It powered it fine at 30A.  So I guess I was imagining it the entire time.   Smiley Love the unit since until this past week.

Scott J Hicks

IP Logged

autosparky
Super Nerd
Picogroup

blind worker

Porirua, New Zealand
Porirua
New Zealand

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 12:59am

BMW Scott wrote on Jun 9th, 2013 at 8:28am:
started at 20A and moved up until it was still popping at 65A

maybe I'm reading it wrong but how are you using a bulb to draw 20amps? then 65amps?

FYI - Friends of mine are using the PP3 on trucks with the extension lead and love it because they don't have to find a clean earth.
The problem with the PP hook is you can't use an extension because it increases the resistance making the acr detection useless, they may be working on a solution for this problem yet

can't see, can't hear, can't remember

IP Logged

BMW Scott
Super Nerd
Picogroup

High Point, NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 4:09am

autosparky wrote on Jun 10th, 2013 at 12:59am:
maybe I'm reading it wrong but how are you using a bulb to draw 20amps? then 65amps?

That was the issue, It didn't matter which circuit breaker amperage I chose it still popped it on the headlamp.  After sending it off the first time this issue was resolved.  I think I just have a bad unit.

Scott J Hicks

IP Logged

Earl Davis
Guru Member
Picogroup

Charlotte-NC, North Carolina, USA
Charlotte-NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 8:17pm

$250.

If no body is interested, I am gonna ebay it for whatever I can get. Make me and offer because I would rather sell it here.

Earl

Earl
jeeptech608 jeeptech608  
IP Logged

Jon38
Picogroup

Ocoee, Florida, USA
Ocoee
Florida
USA

Reply #23 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 9:08pm

i paid 500 dollors more than that thing is worth when it first came out and i still use my power probe 3 or the trusty fluke 88 that thing is too big allways telling me i have a bad ground eve whe i touch it too the neg batt terminal some cool fetures amp probe high current output but overall not worth the space it takes up in my toolbox

IP Logged

Jon38
Picogroup

Ocoee, Florida, USA
Ocoee
Florida
USA

Reply #24 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 9:12pm

250 dollors the tool man will give more on trade im sure theres something else you need

IP Logged

BMW Scott
Super Nerd
Picogroup

High Point, NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #25 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 4:08am

I called PowerProbe back this week and requested they replace mine with another unit.  My fear is that I have a defective unit.  This is the second time since I got it in Jan that it has been in for service.  I got transferred a couple times, but once I was on the phone with the correct person, they agreed.  They are going to replace mine with a refurbished unit.  So hopefully I will not have any problems with the replacement unit.  I haven't heard of anyone else having these issues and my second encounter with customer support has proven a better experience.

Scott J Hicks

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2