Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Question of the Day (Read 26,803 times)
Qwix0r

crap, what did I do now?

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Baltimore
Maryland
USA

Re: Question of the Day
Reply #15 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 7:07pm

ahhh, never mind, I watched the whole file , now I understand, nice software trick Smiley

Qwix

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 8:43pm

Hey Quix,

I know, you already get this but maybe I can explain it more clearly.

The Modis/V-Pro trigger only works on a zoomed in screen.  If trigger is not met, the scope continues to acquire data in the buffer and only the screen will stop.  Then if you were to stop the scope and look at the capture, your triggered screen would vanish into oblivion if enough time has elapsed and that screen has scrolled out of the buffer.  You can't trigger the whole capture.

This prevents you from making use of trigger to capture a failure or other event.  There are not enough sample points on one screen to be of much use.

There is more detail on all this in this post we did a while back on an earlier Modis version.  Much of this still applies:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1135299068/0

Pico has come a long way since then though with the PicoScope 6 developments and the ability to stream into the PC RAM at high speeds.  This allows Pico to pull way ahead of anything else out there right now, as far as raw sample rate power is concerned.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Qwix0r

crap, what did I do now?

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Baltimore
Maryland
USA

Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 3:44pm

Tom Smiley

Hi there. You answered my question as to the V-Pro before I even had a chance to ask it Smiley

As far as the buffer , I suppose that is part of one of my biggest issues with the V-Pro , in combination with Shopstream Connect ( Im assuming an offshoot of the SIA3000 software, as I keep seeing that referance in errors).

In order to even see a decent picture in the S-Connect , I have to set my time base to 1ms or less . Then I can get a decent picture in 8x mode.

2x doesnt even show me anything , 4x is broken up , disconnected pixels , and 1x looks horribly boxy !

I had been considering the purchase of a pc based scope long before I found you nerdz Tongue  In fact, the only reason I ran accross your site is that I was looking for sites related to scope training, which in turn led me to your 4 cd set, which I havent been able to purchase yet. Sad

I figure if I can learn on my boss's scope, Ill be in a much better position when I finally make the decision to purchase a pc based scope, and I very much like what Ive seen in the Pico software , at least as far as the demo's will allow.

Qwix

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #18 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 8:28am

Quix,

I admire your thirst to learn.  You are sure in the right place.  We all have the same affliction.  Jut call us "Autonerdz Anonymous"   Wink

What scope you are using doesn't matter nearly as much as understanding a bit about how it works and where your scope's limits are.  Almost any scope can be used effectively.  Where you get into trouble is working outside your scope's capability without realizing it.  All scopes have limits.  Some just more than others.

If you are interested in The Nerd Series on CD, you don't have to buy it all at once.  Just get Nerd I and I will send you the boxed set.  Then you can just purchase the keys for the other CDs when you are ready.

Glad you have been playing with the PicoScope software in demo.  That gives you a pretty good hands on experience.  What it cannot show is the high speed streaming capabilities.  You need the hardware for that.

You might also find the following post of interest.  This is an example of a modern throttle control system.  The capture shown cannot be duplicated by any other automotive scope today.  This capture is sampled 20x faster than a Modis.  The detail is astounding.

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1180471365

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Qwix0r

crap, what did I do now?

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Baltimore
Maryland
USA

Reply #19 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 4:19pm

Tom Smiley

That is alot of information on that screen. I would be hard pressed to get that much in a viewable file with the V-Pro , at least with my current viewer.
Ill have to play with that and see.... I can get a fairly long screen in 1ms , but i havent triedi n the 500us or less range.

Thanks for the info on the CD's, hopefully I will be able to procure #1 sooner than later Smiley

I havent had much in training on the scope, just what I can find to read (Motorage, Motor, etc) and what I can find on the internet. I found a local jobber that will be offering scope classes soon , Im sure the boss wont have a problem with that Smiley

Qwix

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #20 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 12:36am

Qwix,

You will not be able to get that much information on the screen with the V-Pro. First of all, you're lacking two channels. And secondly, you don't have the resources. Having to run the scope zoomed in puts you at a disadvantage as well by not being able to see what is taking place. This how you have to run that scope to get any usable resolution. If you increase the timebase, you loose resolution and your sample rate, so you have to run it zoomed in.

I personally don't like running a scope in this manner. An event could happen with out you knowing it. The proponents will just say stop the scope and zoom out and review. Thats fine if you felt something, but what if you didn't? Would you know if an anomoly occured that the PCM recognized and you didn't? No. With those screens flying by at fast timebases, I have no idea. If there is more time on the screen, I would. Even if I got lucky, once I zoom out, the resolution is not on par with what I consider valuable real estate. I can take a paraded pattern with primary ignition coil current and pick out a problem with PicoScope and not do it with the Modis. It is like night and day. Trust me, I've tried.

As far as the Cobalt drive by wire operating at 10,000 Hz, you could grab two channels and see those. In order to see that digital frequency in the timebase shown and the slow analog TPS signal, you would have to operate at 10 mS and only then be able to recontruct that signal with 5 sample points. That is the minimum number needed. That is pushing it as hard as it will go, but it will do it. At 20 mS you are done. It is all about having enough sample points to reconstruct the waveform at longer timebases. The more the better.

I think where many get in to trouble is trying to put too much sweep speed on the screen with the V-Pro or the Modis. The key is to have the timebases small and then zoom out. It's a backwards zoom in a way. It works different. Much of what Tom already posted expains this. The main gripe I have with it is the horrible resolution. This is mainly because of the limited amount of pixels of the screen for display. You can indeed utilize the VGA port for an external monitor.  The hardware is 12 bit vertical resolution from what I understand. Since there is no zoom vertically, this is no advantage at this time, maybe for later. The Snap-on software needs some work in my opinion. The benchmark is already here and has been for some time.

Nerd 1 would be a good CD for you, Qwix. It goes in to great depth on the subject. Also, practice with your V-Pro as much as you can. Scope training classes are all over the place as far as quality. Be careful.  When you're ready for the advanced version, let us know. There is so much to learn. New tricks roll out daily.

Regards,

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #21 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 12:13pm

john. wrote on Sep 9th, 2007 at 10:15pm:
i worry about this site?
is it a site about knowledge! not sure?  or selling products stuff?
um just dunno..........enlighten me........picos` cool but its a `tool like a 10mm spanner a` tool?????
dunno i dont know

john t mike webb............teach me im not sure about t roberts??

email me gets me
as carl jung and scott peck and well we all well 

for the record , i have nothing bad to say about anyone on these forums , least of all T Roberts      ... i do not know why my name was invoked here , mostly i visit here to learn , not teach.

i would like to add when comparing Pico to the red scopes , check the price before purchase ,  you will find Pico is the better scope  and Pico is easier on the wallet , the best of both worlds imho.

mwebb  
IP Logged

Qwix0r

crap, what did I do now?

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Baltimore
Maryland
USA

Reply #22 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 3:26pm

Carl

Thx for your input Smiley I find I get decent information at 1ms sweep, but I record it all and use a pc to view. I was able to pick out a bad crank sensor that way Smiley

I havent even played with the zoom out feature much, the small screen doesnt do it any justice Sad

Mwebb Smiley Fortunately I have use of the V-Pro , the only one in the shop that does use a scope, so I dont have to buy it Smiley But I dont think I can talk the boss into a 4 channel, so the next purchase will have to be mine Sad

Qwix

IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #23 - Sep 15th, 2007 at 8:28pm

Qwix0r wrote on Sep 14th, 2007 at 3:26pm:
Mwebb Smiley Fortunately I have use of the V-Pro , the only one in the shop that does use a scope, so I dont have to buy it Smiley But I dont think I can talk the boss into a 4 channel, so the next purchase will have to be mine Sad

Qwix

then when you do puchase the real scope you will appreciate it even more , and you will by that time be more of an asset to your employer and yourself , which may / should ultimately result in more money in your pocket ,   and more knowledge in your brain .
                  there is no down side here , imho .

mwebb  
IP Logged

Erik_1940
Guru Member
Picogroup

Elevation 25 ft

California, California, USA
California
California
USA

Similar to the QUestion of the day
Reply #24 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 1:19pm

HI Tom and everybody in general  Smiley
My question is what do you think about the vetronix 5100 lab scope?  I have been looking for the specs so I can compared it using the calculator but haven't found them, I am asking you this because thats what we have at this time.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #25 - Sep 28th, 2007 at 2:17pm

Hi nocturnando,

I am aware of the lack of published specs on this unit.  It seems Vetronix will not divulge the true specs.  Really there are only two possible reasons for this.  Either they don't know, or they are ashamed of them.   Wink

I had the opportunity to play a bit with an MTS 5200. The color display is nice but the true sample rate performance seems the same as the 5100. It aliased a 2KHz square wave at 50ms/div and could not reliably sample a 170us dropout at 10ms/div. This was without glitch detect so that the true real time sample rate could be shown. This is on par with a 10 year old Fluke 97 and I estimate the sample buffer (record length) to be the same at 512 samples.

I posted this on iATN and no one from Vetronix or anyone else disagreed with this assessment.  It is only an estimate though based on performance testing results.

In any case, true sample rate performance of the Pico 3423 is literally a thousand of times faster.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2