Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

vantage pro - new guy (Read 4,367 times)
jrodri0306
Freshman Member

Covina, CA, California, USA
Covina, CA
California
USA

vantage pro - new guy
Apr 25th, 2007 at 8:28pm

Im new to the forums and I think its great for techs to network like this.  Solus was first scan tool I've purchased and so far I've been pretty happy with it.  Now Im looking to invest in the vantage pro.  Has anyone used it and what do you think about ignition scope capabilities?

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Re: vantage pro - new guy
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2007 at 2:56am

Hey Jr ,

Others may offer up an opinion on your request for Vantage info. I have never used one. I have over the years used several different "Big Box" machines like Sun, Bear & Allen. Retiring my Old Sun Interrogator real soon here as I got one of the Pico 3000 series scopes as a replacement. None of the other`s compare to this device with its speed and adjustability, being able to capture and review what the naked eye cant see is pretty awesome. Welcome to the forums, lots to learn here. Whats your specialty? You cant go wrong buying the Master 2 channel scope from Tom, thats what I bought.  Download a copy of the pico software and grab a few of the files on these posts and have a play with the versatility of this device.
Regards,

IP Logged

Rich Barton
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Pico_Power

Iowa, Iowa, USA
Iowa
Iowa
USA

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2007 at 7:18am

Hi Group:

I use to have a vantage pro and traded it in for the modis Cool and I have a old vantage plus I got the pico 4 channel.

If I was to do it all over again I think I would buy an old vantage and learn it first. Wink

You can buy it cheap on ebay I grabbed one awhile back for $200.00

It is nice for the data base this helps a new scope user  get his set ups right on a scope. Wink

Then buy an pico 4 channel and you are done. Grin

I will tell you the pico is the one you will want ,with all the new stuff coming down the pipe, they are the one to watch. Cool

With Tom Roberts training you will be a pro in no time.

I hardly use my modis scope any more. Cry

Alot of people will tell you the laptop is a pain to move around.

I set mine up on a roll around cart and that works for me. Grin

If I need to do a road test ,I will still use pico instead of the modis because I can record along time and zoom into a spec with no problems ,where as with the modis what you record at is the best zooming in you can get. Wink

All and all the pico and modis[vantage pro] are the best scopes out at this time but pico is pulling away fast. Grin

Rich Barton
C.R.B. Diagnostic's

IP Logged

johnfs
Freshman Member

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2007 at 12:23pm

I also got rid of my modis and went pico Grin

IP Logged

DiagTech
Picogroup

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2007 at 8:07pm

I know this is a few days later, but if you're gonna do, buy the Pico.

I haven't found it to be any more of a burden than using a hand held for road tests. You still need to hook up leads. You still need to route the leads in a safe manner. You still need to hook the leads to something. If it's something I really need to watch on a test drive, I have someone drive for me, but I do that whether it's a hand held or not.

For what you'll pay for a VP and all the whistles you'll need to go with it, you can buy a really nice laptop, the 4 channel Pico and and anything not included with the Pico that you may need and still end up money ahead with a much better scope. Plus the laptop comes in handy for many other things.

With that said, I have used a VP and I liked it alot, but I really like seeing what I'm looking at, too. I just don't have to squint as much.

Kevin O'Neil

IP Logged