Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

34 23 series 4 ch scope (Read 3,629 times)
techy
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

34 23 series 4 ch scope
Feb 12th, 2006 at 1:54am

Hi all

First post - from England UK

I am experiencing interference on the pico on all channels when using an inverter from 12 volts to mains
no problems on straight mains supply - have replaced the inverter capable of 1 kv but the pico is picking up noise on all channels as soon as a test harness is plugged into any of the channels - shows itself as hash akin to crank sensor pattern - is it possible to put any type of filter on the line - this is a USB powered scope.

Regards

techy

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: 34 23 series 4 ch scope
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 10:26am

Not sure I understand your hook up.  Are you powering the PC with an inverter?  When going mobile, just run off of laptop battery.

The test leads will pick up noise when not attached to anything.  Then they are antennae.  There is a software selectable low pass filter, but it is usually not needed.

If you wish to join our support system you may check it out here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/picokit.htm#_DOH!__I

For Pico direct support go here:

http://www.picotech.com/support/index.php

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

techy
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 12:11pm

Thanks for the reply Tom,
pico works fine from my laptop whether on battery or inverter. On my van I have a fixed pc tower with 17 inch monitor whilst on mains hook up no interference - but on inverter mains supply noisey - was hoping someone may have come across this on a similar set up - many thanks ....................

Techy

IP Logged

NickUK
Picogroup

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 12:09pm

Hi Techy,

Oh yes. Been there and got the T-Shirt.  Smiley

Most, if not all, of my work is done through a 12V mobile cart and i too run my PC through an Inverter. There are inherited problems with this and i learnt the hard way. I was measring a VR CKP sensor (just using one channel) and everything was going smoothly until i knocked the Ground lead connection - the engine stumbled then cut out. With the ignition still on by this time, all injectors began to fire, solenoids were operating, relays were clicking - everything went mad!   Shocked

I removed my scope probe from the CKP line and everything suddenly stopped. When i looked at the trace there was a perculiar repetitive signal that was switching AC (but not Sine). Anyway, i eventually traced the problem to my inverter. I tried powering the PC through wall mains and sure enough no erroneous signal present.

This is something i have to bare in mind with any recorded capture, but it's actaully not that bad. When i connect any of the scope's ground connections the car chassis (or Bat neg) the perculiar trace almost disappers.

Best of luck,
Nick

WWW WWW  
IP Logged