Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Want to Play a Game? (Read 24,162 times)
maki
Freshman Member

Re: Want to Play a Game?
Reply #15 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 9:00am

Here is what I see:

1: 0 Amps when the fuel injection drops out, which indicates either an open or high resistance in the circuit.

2: Power feed to the injector stays steady at ~14 V, which indicates no problem on the power side.

3: Ground is still being pulled low to 0 V, which indicates driver in computer is functioning and no volt drop on ground side.

4: No inductive kick (along with no ramp up in amps), which indicates no magnetic field in injector coil.

5: Still ~ 14 V open circuit voltage on the ground side of the injector, which indicates injector in not open (as pointed out in earlier posts).

My conclusion: injector coil is failing with excess resistance when hot or excess resistance at the connector to the injector.  I'd take a close look at the connector to the injector and if no problems found would replace the injector.

A couple of additional things that I also noticed from the psd file:

1: If you zoom in on the amperage when the injector drops out you will notice a very small noisy amperage reading.  This supports the excess resistance idea.

2: If you zoom in on the time right before the injector drops (for example 1800 mS) you will notice that the current starts ramping up well after the drive pulls the ground to zero.  This is why I think that excess resistance at a connection could be a factor.  I would check the injector connector for terminal tightness, corrosion, etc before condeming the injector.

Lots of other cool detail in the capture also, but the above is what I would key in on for a diagnosis.

loren

IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #16 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 9:42am

Quote:
2: If you zoom in on the time right before the injector drops (for example 1800 mS) you will notice that the current starts ramping up well after the drive pulls the ground to zero.  This is why I think that excess resistance at a connection could be a factor.  I would check the injector connector for terminal tightness, corrosion, etc before condeming the injector.

loren

Hi Loren,
        A possible connector issue was what I was thinking too. The seemingly early triggering at times like 910-950 ms (as opposed to other times) when compared to the reference signal makes me think that occasionally something other than the driver was grounding the injector.

John Thompson&&Thompson Automotive Labs&&www.ThompsonAutomotiveLabs.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

maki
Freshman Member

Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 4:03pm

Is there really a timing issue going on (900 mS - 1100 mS and other spots) or is extra fuel being delivered asynchronously?  I may be way off or not looking carefully enough, but it looks to me as if there is a regular consistant injector pulse pattern with extra asynchronous pules added to increase fuel delivery at times.

I am keying in on the loss of amps pointing to a high resistance issue in either the injector or the connector to the injector.

loren

IP Logged

edwin1
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 7:31pm

A possible connector issue was what I was thinking too. The seemingly early triggering at times like 910-950 ms (as opposed to other times) when compared to the reference signal makes me think that occasionally something other than the driver was grounding the injector. 

Hi John,

That's why I thought it was a bad driver…

Edwin

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 7:59pm

I thought about the O2 sensor and how it reacts to what could be no fuel.I thought about how the first frames show no current draw and thought that the firing will anyway show a mass of oxygen which the sensor interprets as lean;it only REACTS to oxygen.SO, too, I dont know what pattern should normally show on these injectors.I know that the injector doesn't fire itself.
  So, to me the driver looks bad unless it is supposed to fire in mutiples-like that Ford system for secondary-at idle IT fires mutiple strikes.
   One of my school books says heat is an issue with bad connectors.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #20 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 5:05am

Hello Edwin, Hi Fisher,
                         Could a driver fail in a way that it triggers before it’s signaled to do so? I haven’t seen a driver do that. (That’s a question not a statement)

Loren,
             I think that an asynchronous pulse could only happen under starting or acceleration. The engine was already started and from the relatively steady state of the reference I don’t think the throttle moved but I do think that a connector issue might cause both sporadic high resistance and sporadic grounding.

Hey Matt, are there any other Trees we’ve missed in this Forest?   Shocked

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #21 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 11:49am

We know the driver grounds an already hot or positive injector... ,( those aren't PNP injectors; the signal isn't 'upside down') so, it would be easy for a break in the ground wire between the ECM and the injector to ground the injector as there is so much grounded metal for to do that with,but- the "asynchronous" are still associating with the regular timed pulse they are firing ahead of of it I mostly noticed.The third pulse is part of the the other two, it is with the driver; it is voltage of the driver(it's gotta be!).
A firing pulse due to a broken ground ought occur at ANY point in the engine operation.
  Do you notice that the reference signal is kind of unhappy?It seems to ramp up almost a volt really gradually before the on signal and then distinctively on it's off signal there is an associated dropout or spike in the injector voltage trace.That one seems to become the third injector pulsation, the other two being the ones that look like a peak and hold?

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #22 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 12:02pm

Could it be that the ECM is bad but not the driver?If  it is a warmup issue, than perhaps the ECM is not reacting well to the O2 sensor rich and lean signals?A short or open incorporating the processor and the driver? After all it is a sort of rich and lean thing. I will shut up now and let other guys talk.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #23 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 12:34pm

Quote:
   Do you notice that the reference signal is kind of unhappy?It seems to ramp up almost a volt really gradually before the on signal and then distinctively on it's off signal there is an associated dropout or spike in the injector voltage trace.   

Yeah the reference is the first signal I blew UP cause I noticed it was lifting off ground but it repeats the lifting consistently across the waveform while the injection pulses are not consistent so I dismissed it as being a cause. I don't think the reference off alignment to the noise in the injector voltage trace is a problem for the same reason of its consistency VS. injector turned on inconstancy. I agree with you though Fisher, Im gonna sit back now and see what others have to say.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

MattF-MN

Reply #24 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 3:22pm

Hey Matt, are there any other Trees we’ve missed in this Forest?   

I'm really enjoying watching you guys disect this problem.  I'm learning a lot from it.  Some of you are on the right track...just be careful not to go running to far into this forest.   Wink

dsomatt  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #25 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 3:23pm

OK, game over.  Thanks for playing  Wink  We discussed this in Group Therapy last night too.

A lot of good ideas and many of you are on the right track.  Loren (Maki) nailed it with the most complete and accurate response.  He said it better than I could, but I'll blab anyway... Tongue

1.  The asynchronous pulsing of the injector is a normal injection strategy.  It can do this on accel or trying to catch a stall.  It's just a distraction and can be dismissed for now.  There are much more important elements in the capture that tell the story.

2.  The lifting off ground of the reference (chan B) is a circuit voltage drop caused by the coil current.  It's normal.  At time 4420ms you can see clearly a coil ramp and fire in the reference voltage drop.  Zoom in 2x vertical on channel B to see better.  You see the induction ramp, current limit and cut off.

3.  The voltage is present on channel A injector drive (neg side) when the injector is not active so the circuit is not open.  However, during the event, when the injector is grounded, no current flows.  So, we know there is excessive resistance somewhere.  We have a bad connection.

4.  The distance between the lowest point in the injector voltage waveform on channel A and ground is the circuit voltage drop from the test point at the neg side of the connector through the PCM driver, the PCM grounds and all the wiring to bat neg.  Just like using your DVOM to do voltage drop testing on a starter circuit, the circuit must be active to see the voltage drop.  If the bad connection was anywhere between the channel A test point and ground (PCM driver, PCM grounds, etc) then we would see that in the voltage drop.  We don't.  The injector is flat on ground the whole time.  Therefore, we know that the bad connection is not anywhere after the channel A test point toward the PCM.

5.  Channel C is on the power side B+ of the same connector.  It shows no drop in voltage during the events.  If the bad connection was toward the power supply from the channel C test point, we would see the voltage fall.  We do see this voltage dip when current flows in the circuit.  It's minimal and to be expected.  We can even see an upside down injector current signature there if you look closely.  But not when there is no current flowing.

6.  Conclusion:  The bad connection is between the channel A and C test points.  Since all that is under the upper intake plenum, it's time to get out the wrenches.  We know what we are looking for and where to find it.

Waveform databases are great, but we can't do lab scope diagnosis by simply comparing waveforms.  We have to be able to analyze, using the system knowledge and the behavior of circuits.  I always say, slow down you'll be faster.  Don't rush off to do another hook up until you fully understand what you have captured already.  You may not need any other captures.  The answers to all your questions may already be right in front of you.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

edwin1
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 3:52pm

Great game Tom.  Wink

IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #27 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 6:42pm

Nice logic Loren you could see the forest right through those darn
asynchronous trees  Wink

Not sure I see a potential stall as the cause of asynchronous pulses though.

Here’s why,

1. The time between reference pulses at the beginning of the movie (with no injection –445ms for example) is 17 ms or so.

2. Then (at 0ms) injection returns and the time between references decreases to about 12-15 ms (slightly higher rpm for quite a while) and then, out of the blue at 910 ms the asynchronous trees start growing.

3. Then injection goes away again and while there’s no injection and the time between references has increased to about 25 ms (surely it’s closer than ever to stall) at the 2800ms mark injection returns but without async pulses.

I don’t know what the answer to this is, I just hate not knowing. But that’s the way it goes sometimes.

Enjoyed the game all.  Smiley

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #28 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 4:56pm

John,

I'm not sure of the cause of the asynchronous pulses either.  A curiosity, but not important to diagnosis here. 

For any non Pico users out there who may want to look at the psd file we posted on this, the new automotive demo software will allow you to open it and examine it.

You can download it from here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/picokit.htm

It's also got some cool simulated four channel signals that run live you can play with.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

jonraz
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 12:48pm

Ok Tom,

Ya suckered me in. I have to say that is a fantastic capture that Matt did. Just excellent work.

So here is what I see.

I see a consistant injector supply voltage. As a matter of fact you can see the load imposed by the injector when it's operating propely. Since the voltage drop on the supply is consistant during the peak injector turn on load of about 4 amps I'm going to rule out a voltage supply issue right up to the  test point. (I'm assuming that he's backprobing right at the injector connector) 

The ref signal looks fine to me so I'm going to rule out a control side (logic or input) issue.

When the failure occurs it appears that all the current flow goes away. The trigger side of the injector appears to be normal pulling nearly all the way to ground with the exception of a lack of inductive kick. The lack of the inductive kick tells me that there was a lack of a magnetic field formed.  This is due to the lack of current flow.

What could cause this?

Since we have a lack of current flow I'm going to rule out shorts to ground or a lack of resistance in the circuit. Either would cause an increase in current flow.

Since we don't have excessive resistance we must either have a lack of voltage or excessive resistance.

I know source voltage is good up to the test point so I can rule out everything in the voltage supply up to that point. 

The trigger occurs when it appears that it should. It also appears to remain near ground when it should. If the driver in the ECM was failing and could not retain the ground (failed to allow current flow) on the trigger side I would expect to see the voltage ramp up during the on time. It doesn't do this.

I'm only left with two choices, either there is a high resistance connection right at the injector terminals themselves or the injector is intermittently going high resistance under load.

I'd sell the injector and perform a pin drag test when I was replacing it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Just hope like heck I'm not wrong;-)

Jon

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2