Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Toyota - Yazaki HT Leads (Read 41,373 times)
MattF-MN

Re: Toyota - Yazaki HT Leads
Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 10:53am

Hmm, now looking at those, I'm thinking carbon tracking or arching outside the combustion chamber...especially on cylinder #2 with the "shark fins" on the spark line.  That seems like a tell-tale on arching.  Why, the previous image, did the spark lines ramp up so much?  I usually only see that on lean conditions.

dsomatt  
IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 11:42am

There is well less than 1 msec of burn time on all these blowup samples. If I had the car here I would probably current ramp the coil to cover my bases but my gut tells me it's a cylinder turbulance issue. Notice how the burn starts and uses the available fuel then restarts over and over. The avaialable fuel in these cylinders does not look like it is distrubuted or atomized evenly rather it is in uneven pockets causing the burn to start and stop over and over. Could be caused by an EGR open when it shouldn't be causing the intake air to tumble in an abnormal fashion.I guess you could call it lean in a sense but a classic lean pattern (a fairly smooth upward sweep) looks nothing like this. Of course talk is cheap and I've been wrong before but that's my 2 cents worth.  As far as what is wrong with the car we'll have to wait and see what Kevin says.

John Thompson&&Thompson Automotive Labs&&www.ThompsonAutomotiveLabs.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 2:13pm

I'm no secondary combustion analysis guru.  We do have one in our group though.  Mac?

I have a few thoughts.  All the spark lines begin at about the same voltage.  Firing lines do not start high.  A lean mixture would show a high firing line as well as a higher start for the spark line.  Cyl #1 in particular runs out of available HC and extinguishes in only 430us.  That one is probably misfiring. 

I initially thought lean but It's not 'lean' because the spark strikes at a normal kv level.  But we do run out of HC early and have a lot of turbulence.  The engine has to have a restricted breathing and inhaling less air as well as less fuel.  Perhaps a lot of carbon on the intake valves restricting intake and creating turbulence as they do not seal well consistently and disrupt swirl effects.

Ok Kevin.  Tell us the story.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 6:30pm

During a snap throttle test, I would expect to see the firing line higher. It appears as though there is not enough energy left to maintain spark duration (firing time). #1 shows a definate roll off of reserve energy. Look at the burn time on #3 in the paraded pattern. Lack of complete combustion there! Looks like others are lacking as well. #2 might be a suspect for carbon tracking or leaking boot. The misfire during that capture points towards #3 to me to be the worst. And it appears as though there are other cyl's not contributing like they should.

I'll go with low coil output and carbon or boot tracking.

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 7:57pm

Hi Carl,

I agree that during the initial snap the firing lines should have been higher.  I'm thinking that because he was not triggering on high kv on the channel being used, that he may have missed the initial spike as the engine gulped and the capture is after that event.  If it was a weak coil, I would expect to see the firing line short but not rising in voltage.  The rise in voltage says HC depletion to me. 

Here is a weak coil:

The HC is still present when the spark runs out of energy so the spark line voltage remains at the same level.  This one is at idle though, so there is little turbulence.

Here is Kevin's #3 for you:

Interesting capture huh.  That's only one of them  Shocked

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

ekul
Picogroup

"The Nutty Professor"

Reply #20 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 3:25am

G'Day Guys,

First up ... Good to see Tom initiate this 'diagnostic game' and the great participation by forum members so far. This is 'what it's all about' and I'm sure each and everyone of us will benefit somewhere along the line.
Not only Pico capture techniques, captures interpretation but also diagnostic methodology could also be discussed during the 'diagnostic game'

For the purpose of keeping things relatively simple, let's use the capture and the vehicle it was obtained from, as a sort of 'general guideline' if you like, to the Pico useage, screen capture interpretation and possible diagnostic strategies in this particular instance.

As with any diagnostics, something should be known about the vehicle symptom or symptoms and the vehicle ignition, fuel and air systems.
This particular vehicle is of our local production/consumption, but I'm sure many of you can relate to it with ease.

THE SYMPTOM : service R/O was written thus - " runs roughish and lacks power "
mmmm ... front desk needs some educating me thinks!  Grin  

Vehicle general info:
300,000km on speedo
In line 6cyl - firing order 153624
external modular coil
optical ignition - cranksensor 120° and 1° signals
multiport injection - current controlled injectors
2 x fuel pumps ( intank pre pump, external pressure pump )
Bosch Hot Wire Air Mass sensor
3 wire heated O² sensor
No EGR system
No data stream - DTC's only available

I approached this firstly by confirming the symptom before attempting diagnostics/analysis.

Confirmation of the symptom proved out.
Bad multiple mis-fires and poor performance.

A check of DTC's showed 1 stored - 14 (speed sensor )

I chose to connect the Pico and sample the tailpipe emissions with the 5 gas analyser with the thought that the two could support my initial 'confirmation of the symptom' as a possible fuel related issue.

I chose Kv parade to give me an overall view of all the cylinders and the 'effect' of the symptom.

As most of you have ascertained, the capture is showing a ' leanness' issue during combustion and it pertains to all cylinders.

The capture shows the effect but not the cause.
What would you do next?

With regards to the cylinder Kv's in the capture .. Tom has quite rightly noted that the initial higher Kv normally seen with 'lean' during a snap throttle was missed because of my scope settings.

What could/should I have done during initial scope setup before the snap Kv throttle test?

Would using the ' Save On Trigger ' scope function have caught the event?

Would you have approached the symptom with a different diagnostic/analysis strategy?

I won't provide the answer to the 'effect' of the fuelling issue just yet, but, the 'cause' was multi - layered  Tongue

Cheers!
Kevin

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2004 at 3:11pm by ekul »  

IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 5:31am

These are two captures I made a few years ago when pico was new to me. I was playing and didn't have the proper settings but was just looking for a pattern. These are from an early 90's BMW Coil On Plug ihnition primary and were taken at idle. All the cylinders were the basically the same. These two are the same capture the second being a x10 blowup. The issue with this car was extreme carbon buildup on the valves causing some of the fuel to be soaked up into that carbon resulting in a lean misfire. A valve job fixed the car.
www.members.aol.com/bgoode007/bmw1
www.members.aol.com/bgoode007/bmw2

Kevins added description of 300,000 miles and no egr would lead me to agree with Tom, Carboned Valves?

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

ekul
Picogroup

"The Nutty Professor"

Reply #22 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 4:22pm

Hi All,

Those that identified with a carboning or restriction of cylinder breathing are on track. However,
at this stage I still needed to identify totally the lack of HC during combustion.

A current ramp of the fuel pumps provided yet another clue. The pre-pump waveform exhibited a poor commutators/brush signature while the main pump signature showed an expected 5amp, good speed and reasonable signature. The pre-pump is the fuel volume to the main pump so now I knew I had a fuel volume issue as well.

The Bosch Hot Wire Air Mass meter relys on PCM controlled 'self cleaning' and uses the speed sensor in the controlled hotwire burn off process after ignition shut down.

Looking at the waveform signature of the air mass signal output during snap throttle, showed a woeful signature and initial voltage rise. Not to hard to get to see the condition of the sensing element on this model and I confirmed a dirty sensing element.

Re-connection of the speed sensor connector and confirmation of PCM control of burn off was verified.

Whilst I did not mention O² sensor operation and fuel control earlier, the system was in control albeit rather poorly.

So ... I had a 'domino theory' diagnostic and effected repairs had to be done accordingly.
Intake valve restriction was my last stumbling block. With a high miler vehicle such as this one the client opted for an upper cylinder de-carbon service.

After the repairs, the vehicle operation and engine running during all modes ( cold start, warm up, operating temp. idle etc. ) was great and not a sign of mis-fire. The dramatic engine power output improvement would more than satisfy the vehicle owner.

Whether this scenario will be effective for some time? I don't think so. Carbon build up occurs for a reason. Valve guide and seal wear? You bet!!

Now ... how about some answers outlined in my previous post! Smiley

Add to the question list ... can engine speed ( rpm ) be calculated from the screen capture?

Cheers!
Kevin

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2004 at 5:01pm by ekul »  

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #23 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 5:01pm

I'll getback to you on your questions, Kevin.  I'm here in Kansas City preparing for a class at Vision tomorrow.  I will answer when I can give you a real response. Tongue

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Romain.
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #24 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 8:09pm

Hi Guys,

Nice captures, similar to captures I've seen on a Ford Ranger pickup with a 3 liter V6.

would you agree with the following

the captures you have shown at idle do show a nice spark-line indicating normal combustion and spark duration, because the mix is right. ( pressure and volume adequate for the occasion )

the waves as shown during snap throttle start out with a good mix and turn in to a lack off conductive HC, likely due to a fuel delivery problem, that is likely caused by a lack of volume from the fuel-pump ( volume tested at the return line, since a weak pump working against a pressure regulator will be flushed out )
of-course restricted injectors would play a part here as well, but the low volume needs to be corrected first.

the sawtooth pattern has also shown up when there is excessive exhaust back pressure so the cylinders are not fully charged up with a pure combustible mix of fuel and air.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #25 - Mar 7th, 2004 at 9:35am

Hi Kevin,

To reply to some of your questions:

With regards to the cylinder Kv's in the capture .. Tom has quite rightly noted that the initial higher Kv normally seen with 'lean' during a snap throttle was missed because of my scope settings.

What could/should I have done during initial scope setup before the snap Kv throttle test?

You could trigger for the high KV spike on the capture.  You could also use Min Max setting to leave shadows of the previous traces on the screen but I think the first option is better.

Would using the ' Save On Trigger ' scope function have caught the event?

Maybe so may be not.  There are gaps between the screen captures.  Odds are fairly good.

Would you have approached the symptom with a different diagnostic/analysis strategy?

There are lots of approaches and many ideas of what 'correct diagnostic strategy' is.  IMHO, correct diagnostic strategy reaches the correct answer  Wink

can engine speed ( rpm ) be calculated from the screen capture?

Sure, why not?  If you know what a rev takes in milliseconds just divide into 60,000.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #26 - Mar 7th, 2004 at 3:40pm

Hi Tom and Kevin

If you take the coil turn on time between each event (with out cursors) I measure 8 Ms, if you multiply this by number of cylinder which is 6 you get 48.Then divide 60000 by 48 you get 1250rpm That's approx but if Tom gives us some cursor up the exact rpm will be found.

Kevin What portion of the snap test is that image from Ie. tps state.  

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

ekul
Picogroup

"The Nutty Professor"

Reply #27 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 12:03am

Hi! Guys,

Romain Apologies for not replying sooner. I was unaware if your question was being addressed to my captures that Tom posted or to that Mis-fire posted.
I guess both could be representitive of the same occurrence? Undecided

I do believe you have some merit in the reference to exhaust backpressure.

Tom I believe you have a capture with no injector operation at all? If you could pop it up, perhaps Romain and others could expound upon this.

This particular vehicle comes standard from manufacturer with tuned extractors btw....

There are lots of approaches and many ideas of what 'correct diagnostic strategy' is.  IMHO, correct diagnostic strategy reaches the correct answer  

Sure Tom .... I agree ... but I also believe that learning different approaches may also allow one to gain an insight into why things are done a certain way to expediate the diagnostic process, and, in doing so, to arrive at a quick and logical conclusion, without cutting corners. ( only my opinion matey!  Grin ).

Mike Thanks for the participation. I have tried both your and Toms calculation methods but in real time with other scopes which record rpm, for some reason with the Pico captures, the calculated Pico capture rpm always reads much lower than the actual rpm as measured with the other scopes ( I've tried digital and analogue ).

I've instances of 4 cylinder measured rpm with one lead disconnected, the recorded other scope visual rpm is low, yet, when I check on the capture and use either calculation, the Pico rpm is always much lower!  Guess I'm going nutso or something. Shocked

The TPS is a simple 3 pin connector, double ( idle/full throttle ) contacts type. It was correctly set and the idle switch contact was in 'off' idle mode at the time of the capture.
If a TPS type failure occurs on this particular model, idle rpm will  be above 1000rpm and base idle cannot be adjusted.

I did verify TPS operation with and when checking the airmass.

Thanks for reading Guys,
Cheers!
Kevin

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2004 at 4:03am by ekul »  

IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #28 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 7:02am

Kevin,
       I have been using Pico for a research project where I have found it necessary to use it to calculate rpm from the waveforms I collect that display one complete combustion cycle for all cylinders. I think what you are forgetting is that for every rpm of the crankshaft there are 2 rpms of the camshaft which is what you are looking at when you measure an ignition reference from #1 combustion stroke to #1 combustion stroke again. Therefore it is necessary to divide 120,000 by the time in msec this takes to calculate crankshaft rpm. I have found that the Pico is extremely accurate for this. Here is an example of a COP Chrysler with #3 coil disconnected to induce a misfire. The rpm was 720 RPM. Hope this helps Smileywww.members.aol.com/bgoode007/rpm

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #29 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 9:15am

Kevin,

Misfire's comment is great.  I neglected to mention what a rev is.  It would be the time between one companion cylinder firing to the other.  From one cylinder firing to the same cyl firing again would be two revs.

If you are referring to my weak spark capture:

The injector is working fine.  There are no performance symptoms with the car at all.  It was just hard to start sometimes.

There is an article with more on this case Here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/clst.htm

The article is 'Weak Spark Case Study'.  For those of you who do not have the articles password, just follow the directions under the eyeballs on that page.

So we don't clutter up this thread please direct comments on the article to the Articles Feedback section of these forums. Smiley

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3