Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Toyota - Yazaki HT Leads (Read 41,374 times)
ekul
Picogroup

"The Nutty Professor"

Toyota - Yazaki HT Leads
Feb 23rd, 2004 at 1:33am

G'Day Tom and members,

Tom -  I recently had a problem SR5 and wanted to capture secondary but was unable to get a stable pattern.
The secondary probe pickup, obviously larger than the HT lead type, had to be twisted to one side for me to enable a capture. Added to that, at higher than idle rpm the screen would freeze.

If I positioned the pickup to come into direct contact with part of the HT lead at least I could achieve an idle secondary waveform and this was stable.

The leads are genuine Toyota and there were no problems with secondary for any cylinder other than I needed to capture a specific event at a loaded rpm on one cylinder.

Trouble was, when I tried to do a dyno run, ( with me being the only person in the shop ), I found my arms were not quite long enough to hold the pickup in situ so I could capture a specific event under load!  Grin
Just kidding!

Ever had a problem when attempting secondary captures with these thin HT leads? Can I pack the lead out with aluminium foil as to enable a better fit of the lead to the pickup probe?

Cheers!
Kevin

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Toyota - Yazaki HT Leads
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2004 at 7:18am

Hi Kevin,

I have not encountered that issue.  I think using tinfoil to shim the clamp around the lead should be very helpful.  Try that and let us know. 

The other issue I'm not clear on is if you are placing the pickup on the plug wire or the coil wire.  With distributor ignition, you will only see the complete secondary picture on the coil wire.  You can then trigger off of a plug wire using an inductive clamp on the external trigger port, or the other channel, so you can focus on the cylinder of interest.  (Note:  the capacitive secondary pickup will not trigger the external trigger because the output is negative and the external trigger is a fixed positive trigger at around 2V.)

Anyway, if you are on the plug wire and the plug breaks down under load the signal may fall below your trigger point and you may not see much useful info anyway.

Hope this is helpful.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

ekul
Picogroup

"The Nutty Professor"

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 3:58am

Tom,

CHA for Coil HT lead and CHB used for individual cylinder monitoring.

Experiments on a range of vehicle manufacturers utilising dizzy ignitions yielded varying results but useable individual cylinder captures during a loaded dyno run just didn't happen!

Distributor contacts ignition and electronic distributors are still plentiful here and I had hoped I'd find a way to obtain some captures for training purposes to help out our youngsters.
Our big box scope is analogue and although the time base is expandable for viewing burn time etc. I can't save anything.
Two DSO's do help, but again I prefer the PICO for "getting up close and nasty"

Last but not least ... Is the Mac Vandenbrink COP adaptor useable with the PICO?

"Hope this is helpful."

Yes Tom .. as always, and, I thank you for taking the time.

Cheers!
Kevin

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 7:27am

Hi Kevin,

If you email me some psd files of your captures, I can take a look at your settings and see what you are seeing.  Might be able to offer some suggestions.

Mac's COP III works fine with the Pico.  It's only attenuated 10:1 though, so you won't see the full primary spike.  The primary spike has no real diagnostic value anyway, so it's not a big loss.   Wink

Here is a capture of a 3.0 Chrysler firing order 123456.  Channel B (top) is an RPM 80 inductive clamp on #1 wire.  Channel A is coil wire secondary parade.  One of the disrtibutor towers has a grounded test light in it instead of the plug wire.  The game is to identify which one. 

Triggering this way divides the sample rate in half on the 212/3 because we are using both channels.  A good altenative is to use the inductive clamp with the external trigger and then using only one channel.  This gives full sampling to the secondary capture, while still triggering off #1.  You cannot use the capacitive secondary pickup on the external trigger though because the ext trigger is a fixed 1-2V pos trigger.  The secondary is a negative spike so the ext trigger won't see it.   Tongue

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

MattF-MN

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:01am

Do you want us to answer which lead is grounded through the test light or E-mail you the answer?   Wink

dsomatt  
IP Logged

MattF-MN

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 10:05am

Also, I wanted to point out the nice detail of those patterns, even though your at a relatively slow timebase.  The coil turn on oscillations and the turn-off oscillations are both there...some scopes won't even display this unless the timebase is sped up, but then you can only look at one or two firings.  This would be cool to zoom in on the burn lines, turn-on and turn-off oscillations.  Later, Matt.

dsomatt  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 11:02am

Hi Matt,

Feel free to answer.  I don't want to deal with all the emails   Tongue

High resolution detail  is what PicoScope is all about.  As you wish:

This is #1 with the inductive sync trigger.  I had the channel B vertical zoom on x5 in the last picture  Shocked
Here, I have put it back to x1 and zommed x10 horizontally.

If you would like to see any of the other cylinders this close I will do the same with them. 

Because we are using two channels and with the sample step used for this time base, we have 9385 samples in this capture for each channel.  This is 46,875 samples per second for each channel.  Had we used the external trigger and one channel, this would be doubled.   Wink

You get detail by simply collecting more samples.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

MattF-MN

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 11:41am

Well then, I'm going with cylinder #4.  It has a lower and longer spark line.  I would like to see that one zoomed in.  The zoomed sequence you posted looks good, to me.  It is a tad difficult to see with the 20ms/div timebase, but it still sticks out to me.  As a dumb question, why isn't the firing line lower?  Were there issues inside of the cap also?  Thanks, Matt.  Give the full details weather my answer is right or wrong, please.   Cheesy

dsomatt  
IP Logged

MattF-MN

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 11:45am

I had better quick add that I know that the firing line represents the "greatest gap", so if you ground a spark plug wire and the kV drops, the gap would be greater in the cylinder as apposed to the rotor...so in your example, the greatest gap was still in the cap?  I might be letting all this theory run me around in circles, but this is stuff I need to know.  Thanks again, Matt.

dsomatt  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 12:01pm

Very good, Matt.  You are correct.  Here is #4 zoomed:

There may have been a little cap and rotor wear but not bad.

If you were using PicoScope, you would have simply zoomed and then scrolled through the capture to see them all up close like this.  Good eye  Roll Eyes

Yes, the 'Greatest Gap' is in the cap on cylinder #4.  At this time base using both channels though you can't rely on capturing the full kv spike every time.  You have a sample every 20us.  Firing lines can be only 10us.  So, we are really pushing it here.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

ekul
Picogroup

"The Nutty Professor"

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 2:12am

Hi Tom,

I have e-mailed 8 PSD files ( 600kb ) to you so you can examine them.

Cheers!
Kevin

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 9:08am

Hi Kevin,

That's a nice bunch of captures.  You are a quick study!  Here is one we thought would make for a good discussion.  I'm off to the Vision Conference tomorrow but will post zooms on any areas, as requested, when I get a chance

Note the trigger settings.  He has used the external trigger on #1 to devote the full sample rate to one channel while still syncing the capture for cylinder ID.

He has his samples turned up to 32.000 so at 5ms/div, he is sampling at 375,000 samples per second.  This means that there is a sample every 2.7 millionths of a second.   This is fast enough to display every max kv event and all the detail needed.

For comparison, a Fluke 97/98, at this time base, would be sampling at 6104 samples per second (true sample rate)  Pico is over 61 times faster!

Ok, enough math.  My head hurts. Angry

I'll let you take it from here, Kevin.  The game is, what's wrong with the car?

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

MattF-MN

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 10:00am

Also for comparison, my Tektronix THS720a would be sampling at 50kS/s w/o the peak detect activated, 50MS/s w/ peak detect activated....but I only have 2500 record points compared to your 32000.
Lookin at that waveform, we have some lean issues.  The second and fifth patterns are the worst with the first closed behind....thinking some restricted injectors.  Coil seems plenty strong with about 9kV and 1 ms duration.  Am I close?  I'd like to see a zoom on any of the previous mentioned cylinders, but my mind is still made up...I'm looking for why they're going lean.   Wink

dsomatt  
IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 10:14am

Wow, it says misfire (singular) present I suppose #1 could be lean from the pattern but the rest look like cylinder turbulance (engine mecanical or vacuum leak) to me but can't be, not on all cylinders? EGR probelms? But I'd be surprised if the EGR did that to all cylinders on a snap throttle. I have seen some Ford COP coils with carbon tracking inside the coil cause a pattern that looks like turbulance but I assume this nissan (no year or model) is 1 coil? I'm anxious to know the answer.

John Thompson&&Thompson Automotive Labs&&www.ThompsonAutomotiveLabs.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #14 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 10:40am

Matt,

I call 'real sample rate' the number of samples per second that can be captured and shown to you.  Peak detect strategies are designed to compensate for a lack of 'real sample rate'.  Yes, the Tek is sampling at 50ms/sec in peak detect but it is only 'capturing' a very small percentage of that information prioritizing the minimum and maximum samples.  You are still capturing the same amount of information, it's just different information.  'Real sample rate' is the same with or without peak detect.  The strategy works very well for picking up on transient events though, and is a good feature when needed.

Misfire,

Just a thought...combustion turbulence is much higher under load.

Here are the zooms Matt requested:

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3