Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Want to Play a Game? (Read 24,117 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Want to Play a Game?
Sep 18th, 2005 at 8:54pm

The following vehicle has been repaired and this is not a request for help. 

This is an exercise in scope waveform interpretation.  The analysis and solution will be posted here in due time.  I'll leave it hanging for a while so everyone has a chance to have some fun with this.

I often get psd files emailed to me to get my thoughts on a capture or for suggestions for what to check next and what might be wrong with the vehicle.  I thought the following capture by Matt Fanslow was an excellent example of the PicoScope 3423 operation, as well as good scope technique and strategy.  EVERYTHING you need to diagnose this vehicle is in this single capture.  Not only can you tell exactly what the problem is, you can tell where the problem is located.  Those of you who have taken Nerd I or watched the Nerd I CD can probably nail this fairly easily.  Matt is not new to PicoScope but is new to the 3423 four channel unit.  This was his first time deploying the scope on an actual problem vehicle.  Nice job, Matt.  Can't wait to see what else you come up with. 

Here is the story:

This is a 1993 GMC Safari AWD 4.3L vin W.  This thing cuts out after it gets fully warmed up.  This is a problem vehicle that has been to multiple shops.  This engine is of the Central Multiport Fuel Injection (CMFI) type.  This V6 system has an single injector with a 'spider' of tubes with poppet nozzles for each cylinder.  So the single injector supplies all cylinders in a multiport arrangement.  The injector and spider assembly is located under the upper intake plenum and access requires disassembly.  The scope test point for the injector voltage supply and drive was taken where the injector harness plugs in at the upper plenum. 

And finally...the capture:

http://www.autonerdz.com/flash/cmfi.html

Enjoy  Cheesy

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Re: Want to Play a Game?
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 8:25am

looks like it is trying to turn on the injector but no current is going through when it cuts out.  Is that something that would be in the injector winding?  If it was a open I would not think there would be voltage at the supply and contorl side at the same time.  Am I anywhere on the right track?

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 9:52am

Thanks for playing, Sam.  Excellent observations.  I'm just going to be AWOL on this for a while and let the discussion evolve.  Gonna go bury myself in Nerd II CD production for a while.

I really thought this capture was quite amazing in that it really brings home the power of this scope.  Matt has five seconds of data on that screen.  He had the scope optimized to make use of all its resources.  There are 97,531 samples per channel captured, rendering only a little over 51 millionths of a second between samples.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 3:39pm

Hi Sam,

Would you agree that an injector winding fault will be more than likely consistent?

Also, I agree with your statement in regards to an open. We wouldn't see supply voltage on the control side if it were open. What if there was high resistance instead? Would this not show us supply voltage while the circuit was unloaded?

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 4:55pm

I have not dealt with enough injector faults to speculate one way or the other.  I would like to think that an injector winding fault would be consistent but on this vehicle the fault is only present when warm so there is a heat factor involved here.

An injector winding does not seem to make the most sense in that if there is a path to ground there should be some amperage ( I think)  but at the same time there is voltage present into and out of the injector if I am reading the hookup correctly.  The computer does appear to be trying to turn the injector on so I am not so sure it would be a driver issue.  Hi resistance is also a possibility but I am not sure what that would be from unless the injector itself or some bizarre wiring fault.

Carl you could always try to get a hold of the psd file and look at the voltage supply and the control voltage to essence do a voltage drop from the measurements when the fault is present and when the fault is not there.  I do not have the 3423 yet so I would not be able to look at it yet.

Or Tom could show off the picoquad using a composite view of these parts of the trace.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 5:13pm

Hi Sam,

I sent you the psd file.  You can open it with the current software.  Just switch converters in the software.

If any other Pico users want to have a closer look:

http://www.autonerdz.com/downloads/mf.psd

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Jeff Doughman
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Matamoras, Pennsylvania, USA
Matamoras
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 7:51pm

Hi Guys
This is very interesting to me as a new Pico User.
I downloaded the PSD file and moved the traces around to over lap them.
Beginning their was a pattern between the reference, amperage and voltage.
Later the Amperage would start to climb before the reference signal reached the same point.
Looking at the voltage you can see the voltage drop slightly where the injector cycle should have started.
But what does that mean?

Look forward to future answers. Grin

Oil is Science !
WWW WWW jeffld2  
IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 5:17am

I have to admit I was confused by what thought I saw in the movie.  An engine that seemingly was running alternately between mostly four cylinders and no cylinders without rpm change? The download sure helped. The rpm was fluctuating! Blowing UP one signal sure helped me to see a problem.

BTW don’t ever try to play Techardy with Matt. Nice guy nervousness but cool as a cucumber under fire  Wink What a natural! Thanks for the cool capture Matt!
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2005 at 9:18am by John Thompson »  

John Thompson&&Thompson Automotive Labs&&www.ThompsonAutomotiveLabs.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 4:46pm

John,

Check out what is going on between the 900 and 1100mS section of the traces. x20 shows it best.

Thanks for the heads up on the DRBIII.

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 9:29pm

I read good pertinent stuff in a manual by Linder (of injector reputation) and in a waveform reference manual by Motor.
  Linder calls these injectors TBI injectors(TBI was a peak and hold injector in GM applications).I noticed ours have a pattern like the peak and hold.One injector fires all six poppets at once, thus ,once per revolution.I think the reference voltage is perhaps a modulated cam position signal -maybe a hall effect with six vanes-the injector would fire once per crank revolution.That would be why we see a consistent injector firing every third cycle of the reference voltage, once per crank revolution..SO, the signal for the injection for the cam position is fair to good.
         In the Motor reference manual is a case history of a bad peak and hold injector- the shorted injector ruins the driver. I think it looks like the injector in our case follows the pattern of a shorted injector because it has low or non-existant voltage peaks(That is the way MOTOR explains it)-they ought be consistently around fity or eighty volts depending on the system.Ours are all over the place.I could say it ruined the driver because of the way the driver is firing the injector(that is what happened in the case history -the shorted injector ruined the GM injector driver-new PCM time).It looks like the driver has no rhyme or reason to the way it fires the injector and it looks like the short is an intermittent that would only get worse.
 They put diodes in the COP spark systems in series with the secondary to prevent voltage surges from it going backwards into the PCM and shorting it.
                    This explanation is relative to the books I have read, but not due to practical experience.Practical experience can be embarassing.Go to open forum and read about mine today for sure.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 9:42am

Quote:
I read good pertinent stuff in a manual by Linder (of injector reputation) and in a waveform reference manual by Motor.
  Linder calls these injectors TBI injectors(TBI was a peak and hold injector in GM applications).I noticed ours have a pattern like the peak and hold.One injector fires all six poppets at once, thus ,once per revolution. 

Hi Fisher,
      I wasn't aware of that. Thanks! The once per rev looked odd to me and I noticed the reference signal lifting off ground slightly but your piece of information might change my focus. I'll have to zoom in where Carl suggested for another look. Aghh too much to do and never enough time  Undecided

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 4:16pm

Quote:
I think it looks like the injector in our case follows the pattern of a shorted injector because it has low or non-existant voltage peaks(That is the way MOTOR explains it)-they ought be consistently around fity or eighty volts depending on the system.Ours are all over the place.I could say it ruined the driver because of the way the driver is firing the injector(that is what happened in the case history -the shorted injector ruined the GM injector driver-new PCM time).

Fisher,

There are no signs of a shorted peak and hold injector in that capture. If that were to happen, we would see a quick vertical rise in current at turn on to about the midway point typically, and then ramp up at an angle to about 4 amps. Current limiting would kick in and lower it to approx 1 amp. This doesn't hold true for a saturated switch style injector. Since there is no current limiting feature with that type, we would see higher than normal current peaks accompanied by the quick vertical rise at turn on. You are correct in stating that the voltage peaks are dimished with a shorted P&H injector, however, we would still see current flow until it got to the point the driver shut down. Remember what Tom said, "everything is there to diagnose this vehicle." A shorted injector taking out the driver is not there. Hope this makes since.

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 5:45pm

Quote:
That would be why we see a consistent injector firing every third cycle of the reference voltage, once per crank revolution..    

But how about here?

Quote:
Check out what is going on between the 900 and 1100mS section of the traces. x20 shows it best.

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

edwin1
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 9:37pm

What a great capture. 8)  Thanks Matt... It sure looks like a bad ECM driver to me.

Edwin

IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 5:13am

I believe that I see three distinct things that are happening (at different times) with the injector grounding.

1.A ground that doesn't let go on time
          2.An injector ground that seems to happen                                
            indiscriminately at times out of sync with the reference
                       (where Carl zoomed in)
          3.One that looks fairly normal.

Number two gives me a thought other than the driver

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2