Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

New in town! (Read 678 times)
Nate Smith
Freshman Member
Picogroup

New in town

Las Vegas, USA
Las Vegas
USA

New in town!
Nov 14th, 2023 at 2:07pm

Hey all!

I found this community through an online video from Carter Diagnostics on YouTube. Serendipitously, I also came across this community in another online video from my favorite diagnostic YouTube channel Schrodingers Box (Matt) in his latest video talking about in cylinder pressure transducer waveforms.

I found Carter's videos on pulse sensor diagnostics and in cylinder pressure transducer waveforms invaluable while chasing down a P0300 on my 2014 Impreza. Matt's video on how to analyze waveforms was a good foundation as well.

I am hoping to join the pico group community here, although it seems many of you are likely more lucky than I with your equipment. Currently I am running the Pico 2204a paired with various Hantek and Rotkee sensors. It is a cheap way to test the waters for me as I am in ~$500 for the setup and this includes a scope, Rotkee pressure transducer, Rotkee pulse sensor, Rotkee COP sensor, Hantek COP sensor, Hantek leads, Hantek COP sensor, and Hantek low and high amp clamps.

I am a DIY enthusiast that hopes to maybe be a tech at some point. I hope to see you all on the forum!

IP Logged

HarleyMike
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Dinwiddie County, Virginia, USA
Dinwiddie County
Virginia
USA

Re: New in town!
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 5:14am

Hello  Nate welcome to the group!

Thank you for the kind words about my YT channel, I love hearing stories about my vids. helping others fix problems.

As far as your equipment, Hey.... my thoughts are, you have scope equipment which puts you ahead of the curve already! Obviously when and if the day comes you want to upgrade Autonerdz is here to help!

Thanks again  (Harley Mike on here )   aka Carters Diagnostics.

~DatSoon Tech.~    Carter's Diagnostics on YouTube

IP Logged

Dave Thomas
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Duson, Louisiana, USA
Duson
Louisiana
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 8:53am

Welcome Nate

IP Logged

Intermittent
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I'm a Dieselnerd

Spring, TX, Texas, USA
Spring, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 8:37pm

Welcome, Nate

I started with a 2204A because it was a cheap start as well. Then about a year later got a 4425A from Autonerdz. Easier transition because the software is almost exactly the same. I use my scope on Medium and Heavy-duty Diesels.

I still watch Harley Mike's channel. Most of the stuff relates.

If you are already using a scope and understand Mike's youtube channel you would do well as a tech.

IP Logged

Nate Smith
Freshman Member
Picogroup

New in town

Las Vegas, USA
Las Vegas
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 10:50pm

HarleyMike wrote on Nov 15th, 2023 at 5:14am:
Thank you for the kind words about my YT chan

Mike your channel is a gem! Keep those videos coming. I sure enjoy them.

Intermittent wrote on Nov 15th, 2023 at 8:37pm:
If you are already using a scope and understand Mike's YouTube channel you would do well as a tech.

Thanks for the kind words. I find that I am just very slow doing the work and diagnostics as I don't get much practice. Although I get more practice than most because my cars are always breaking haha.

I really dove into this head first when a shop in my town racked up a $2k bill over 6+ visits while fixing my 2000 Nissan Altima. It frustrated me so much that I bought Modern Automotive Technology by James Duffy and read it cover to cover over a month. I committed myself to not throwing parts at the car myself, since I would be no better than the shop. It's been a journey, and an excuse, to acquire more tools. So far my Pico 2204a has paid for itself, since I used it to diagnose a MAF sensor that had plagued my Altima for many years. A snap throttle test with the Pico presented the issue and I was kind of hooked from there.

I am just finding it hard to justify spending the money on a 4425A. I really wish I had it now with this Subaru. I was at least able to verify with my cheaper scope and equipment that the misfires are appearing to be associated to an early closing exhaust valve. I can see that final pressure hump before my intake stroke. The definition is not all there with the 2204a and more importantly, I don't have any known goods to compare to. The issue resolves itself after the car is warm, and I am almost sure its VVT related and would think as the oil warms and/or pressure builds the timing goes back to normal. I am just a bit baffled why there would not be a cam/crank code thrown though. Maybe because its on a cold start and the computer as a different care during those times. 

All that said, Pico's waveform library and this forum would be good reference material to solve my problem. So I guess the real question for me to answer is do I find it worth it to drop the $2k on the 4425a? I am torn when I need so many other tools at the moment, and I am not profiting off of what I learned yet. Plus I have been trying to keep score on "breaking even" having done my own car repairs. Right now I am finally positive. If I buy another scope I am going to be in the red for a good while.

IP Logged

JÜJA
Guru Member
Picogroup

San Cristòbal de las Casas, Ch, Mexico
San Cristòbal de las Casas, Ch
Mexico

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2023 at 6:00am

Another welcome from my side, Nate.

We all have to start somewhere, so take your time and go step by step according to your possibilities. Meanwhile the 2004 will make for a good learning experience and prepare you for what will follow once the time is up.

IP Logged

JKMI
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Autonerd in progress.

West Michigan, Michigan, USA
West Michigan
Michigan
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 1:25pm

Welcome!