Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Feeling ashamed of my local news, but should I be? (Read 1,741 times)
TrevorSchlientz
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Grand Rapids
Michigan
USA

Feeling ashamed of my local news, but should I be?
Dec 27th, 2022 at 5:25am

Check out this article and then post up your thoughts.

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/verify/weather-verify/warming-up-your-car-in...

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sam M.
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicago
Illinois
USA

Re: Feeling ashamed of my local news, but should I be?
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2022 at 2:57am

Well that advice is certainly one approach!

The article seems to base its conclusion primarily on the concept of cylinder wash-down (excessive fuel in the combustion chamber during rich condition). Which is definitely an issue in colder climates (especially short trip driving with starting and stopping the engine).  With cold start fuel injection strategies being designed very precisely, unless there was a malfunction, I am not sure I would worry all that much.

I am not sure that I would make the same recommendation the article makes simply because whether (or weather LoL) you let the engine run for 30 seconds or 5 minutes, the primary wear & tear ( at cranking and start-up ) would have already occurred. But even then, with modern day engine oils and modern day cylinder wall technology, I am not even sure that is occurring all that much either.

One item in the article that I would say is reasonable advice to your average consumer:

"Just make sure you don’t accelerate too fast or rev your engine too much in the first few moments you start driving in the cold."

I think to the average non-technical customer that advice probably wouldn't be out of the question (especially since it was -20 F in Chicago this weekend where I am!)

IP Logged

TrevorSchlientz
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Grand Rapids
Michigan
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2022 at 8:25am

Thanks for playing along Sam.

One of the first things that jumped out at me was that the cited statement to Business Insider was from "Stephen Ciatti, Ph.D., principal engineer for battery systems at PACCAR"... Why are we using the word of the battery guy and not an engineer for the engine? Maybe someone from R&D and materials?

Absent from this article are the damages caused by repeated starts without reaching operating temperature. ie Start the car, move 1 car length so you can shovel the driveway around the car and shutting it off while you work. This could also be called battery abuse.

What about the concept of runtime bases services vs. mileage based? Does anyone else mention to their clients that they should reduce their oil change interval to compensate for the increased run time vs miles driven? If you do what value to use for hrs. to miles?

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Sam M.
Picogroup

I'm an Autonerd

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chicago
Illinois
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2022 at 11:49am

TrevorSchlientz wrote on Dec 28th, 2022 at 8:25am:
Absent from this article are the damages caused by repeated starts without reaching operating temperature. ie Start the car, move 1 car length so you can shovel the driveway around the car and shutting it off while you work. This could also be called battery abuse.

What about the concept of runtime bases services vs. mileage based? Does anyone else mention to their clients that they should reduce their oil change interval to compensate for the increased run time vs miles driven? If you do what value to use for hrs. to miles?

+1 for sure those are great points.

I'll add to it: What percentage of consumers sit down and read their owners manuals?  As we all know, some manuals will actually provide maintenance schedules based on harder running conditions.

I will, and other shops in my area, will recommend reduced oil change intervals based on run time. Especially on common rail diesel vehicles because of diesel fuel quality issues that occur in my neck-of-woods.  That is a great point on hours-to-miles, I have not considered that previously (but will now). 

Primarily for me, it is a conversation covering what the owner's manual's maintenance schedule specifies, driving style & locations, and making recommendations from there. But doing some research on hours to miles will need to be done for sure.

IP Logged