Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

bitmap images (Read 4,780 times)
Derreck
LSD Guide
Picogroup

It's getting better all
the time...

Murray               535 ft, Kentucky, USA
Murray 535 ft
Kentucky
USA

bitmap images
Oct 11th, 2013 at 6:28am

Tom,
I am unable to post screenshots from my Solus without converting them to a different file type first.  It wont let me post .bmp files.  Any way you could add that option for us Solus users?

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: bitmap images
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 8:51am

Derreck,

We have bmp disabled because the file sizes are enormous with no benefit to justify it.

Images need to be resized and processed and maybe edited anyway before posting and so, while you are doing that, resave as a gif and make the file a tiny fraction of the bmp file size with no loss of quality.   Wink

Warning...the following is an irrelevant rant.....

I wish we could get users to resize their images, especially photos.  Posting a multi megapixel image without resizing not only makes the image too big to view, it also wastes server space.  Resizing the image to 1024 x 768 (or wide screen 1280 x 800) or smaller, not only makes the image viewable, it also reduces the file size from megabytes to kilobytes. 

More on posting attachments and images:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1330357236

If someone does not know how to edit and convert an image, we are happy to help.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Derreck
LSD Guide
Picogroup

It's getting better all
the time...

Murray 535 ft
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 8:56am

Gotcha.  No problem Tom, I will continue to open them in paint and re-save as a jpeg.  It only takes a couple seconds.  Funny thing is that the screenshots from the tool, in their original .bmp format, are not very big (size-wise, not data-wise).  I didn't even re-size them and when posted they were an appropriate size:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1381421125

I wonder what it is about bitmap images that makes them so large (data-wise)...

On second thought, never mind, I don't even want to know.  Gotta be more careful with how I am using the ol brain cells these days.  This site and the Pico have already taken up most of the available real estate I started with up there Smiley

Thanks for the response Tom.

EDIT: are jpeg's cool or are gifs more server friendly?  I prefer jpeg (not sure why really) but can start saving as gifs instead if it will help ease the burden on the server   Undecided

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2013 at 9:30am

Derreck wrote on Oct 11th, 2013 at 8:56am:
are jpeg's cool or are gifs more server friendly? 

Sure they are.  jpg renders better quality for photos and such while gif is fine for images such as scope captures.

Both are server friendly.  jpg actually makes a better quality image in a smaller size file if you are rendering a photo.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Derreck
LSD Guide
Picogroup

It's getting better all
the time...

Murray 535 ft
Kentucky
USA