Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Power Probe Hook (Read 29,076 times)
Earl Davis
Guru Member
Picogroup

Charlotte-NC, North Carolina, USA
Charlotte-NC
North Carolina
USA

Power Probe Hook
May 24th, 2013 at 5:35pm

Not sure what these are selling for new or used. Make and offer.

Personally I thought this tool was a good concept, however after using it I do not like the idea of the tool deciding if I need to see ohms or volts. When I am checking grounds I prefer volts not ohms. This tool does not give you a choice it displays what it thinks you need to see.  Cheesy

Earl

Earl
jeeptech608 jeeptech608  
IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Re: Power Probe Hook
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2013 at 7:34pm

I'm going to see if I can pawn mine off on a tool dealer for a break on my existing account.  I have used it a couple times, but it's a tad bulky to use easily in my opinion.  I would rather trade it in and get my PPIII back.
  When they came out they were going for $500 new, got mine for $400 after trading in my PPIII.  I think they are great for road or house calls, but in the shop it's a bit much, at least for me personally.  I bought it mainly because I wanted to try out something new, AND I though it was nice that they increased the possible amperage output of the unit.  That, I would imagine, is the reason for the increased heft.
  I think it would be a great tool to the right person(ality).

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

BMW Scott
Super Nerd
Picogroup

High Point, NC, North Carolina, USA
High Point, NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2013 at 4:57am

I like using it most of the time.  Although if I have the chance I'll try and find a way to scope something now just to learn more.  But what I really like about it is the ability to load test a circuit.  It is definitely different than the PP3, but then again why pay 3x just for a bigger PP3?  It does take some getting used to, especially when doing ground testing.  Just checking for a normal ground before the vehicle has had a chance to go to sleep will deceive you.  But the biggest advantage for me is the ability to load test a circuit and it has helped me to find some issues that could have cost me a PCM.

Just my Smiley

Scott J Hicks

IP Logged

Earl Davis
Guru Member
Picogroup

Charlotte-NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2013 at 6:04am

BMW Scott wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 4:57am:
I like using it most of the time.  Although if I have the chance I'll try and find a way to scope something now just to learn more.  But what I really like about it is the ability to load test a circuit.  It is definitely different than the PP3, but then again why pay 3x just for a bigger PP3?  It does take some getting used to, especially when doing ground testing.  Just checking for a normal ground before the vehicle has had a chance to go to sleep will deceive you.  But the biggest advantage for me is the ability to load test a circuit and it has helped me to find some issues that could have cost me a PCM.

Just my Smiley

Beware the load test feature. It will lead you a stray, I recommend confirming your load test results when using this tool.

The reason I say that is I have had 2 occasions when the Hook failed a circuit using the load test and there were no issues with the circuit. Angry

Earl

Earl
jeeptech608 jeeptech608  
IP Logged

BMW Scott
Super Nerd
Picogroup

High Point, NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2013 at 11:31am

Earl Davis wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 6:04am:
Beware the load test feature. It will lead you a stray, I recommend confirming your load test results when using this tool.

The reason I say that is I have had 2 occasions when the Hook failed a circuit using the load test and there were no issues with the circuit. Angry

Earl

I've actually ran into this as well.  It is dependent on the type of circuit you are testing for sure.  I found this out the hard way too.  Wasted a lot of time a few times.  But it has also save me a PCM once, so it's something to be aware of for sure.  Good point for anyone wanting or owning one.

Scott J Hicks

IP Logged

Anthony Lamb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2013 at 2:33am

Earl Davis wrote on May 24th, 2013 at 5:35pm:
Not sure what these are selling for new or used. Make and offer.

I think on ebay they are about $350ish

The hook works great for finding shorts with the adjustable circuit breaker and the loud tone when it reaches the set current.

IP Logged

autosparky
Super Nerd
Picogroup

blind worker

Porirua, New Zealand
Porirua
New Zealand

Reply #6 - May 29th, 2013 at 12:53pm

I thought the load test idea was brilliant but you guys just shattered my next dream tool, anyone else got any comments about this tool?

can't see, can't hear, can't remember

IP Logged

Earl Davis
Guru Member
Picogroup

Charlotte-NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2013 at 5:04pm

autosparky wrote on May 29th, 2013 at 12:53pm:
I thought the load test idea was brilliant but you guys just shattered my next dream tool, anyone else got any comments about this tool?

I am not much of of sales person! I would rather be upfront about my experience with the tool.

Earl

Earl
jeeptech608 jeeptech608  
IP Logged

BMW Scott
Super Nerd
Picogroup

High Point, NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2013 at 5:30pm

I love using The Hook, but you have to know how to use it properly and also know when something doesn't seem quiet right.  PowerProbe has some video's specific on how to properly use the tool for different things.  I know they are on there website, but I believe they are also on the their YouTube channel.  I watched them and didn't really pay close attention and started using the tool and wondered why certain things were happening.  I went back and watched them ago and reread the book and learned more of what was going on.  Anyways, it's like any other tool, you just have to know how to use it properly and it's limitations.

Scott J Hicks

IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2013 at 7:07pm

I wonder how much it would be to ship one to you Sparky?

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

autosparky
Super Nerd
Picogroup

blind worker

Porirua, New Zealand
Porirua
New Zealand

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2013 at 2:03am

everytime I'm shopping on Ebay or Amazon $60 minimum

But when Amazon has the Hook for $309 and snappy tools wants $900.....just wonder how many people handle this and making a % on the way to the consumer - ME!!

can't see, can't hear, can't remember

IP Logged

BMW Scott
Super Nerd
Picogroup

High Point, NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #11 - May 30th, 2013 at 3:53am

autosparky wrote on May 30th, 2013 at 2:03am:
But when Amazon has the Hook for $309 and snappy tools wants $900

WOW!  Smiley $900 is incredibly too much.  My wife got mine for about $350ish.  I can't believe StrapOn, I mean SnapOn charges so much over there.  I wonder if they are upping the price on all their tools or just certain ones.

Scott J Hicks

IP Logged

Anthony Lamb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Reply #12 - May 30th, 2013 at 4:16am

BMW Scott wrote on May 30th, 2013 at 3:53am:
I wonder if they are upping the price on all their tools or just certain ones.

It is all their tools.
With the aussie dollar being roughly dollar for dollar for a US dollar the tool prices are still the same as they were when they were when it was 80 cents to the US dollar.

IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Reply #13 - May 30th, 2013 at 6:29am

Sparky, figure out what I gotta do and where to send it, you pay for shipping and you can have mine.

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

BMW Scott
Super Nerd
Picogroup

High Point, NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #14 - May 30th, 2013 at 5:23pm

PRESTON wrote on May 30th, 2013 at 6:29am:
Sparky, figure out what I gotta do and where to send it, you pay for shipping and you can have mine.

Wow that's mighty generous of you Preston!  I think that's awesome, not near enough generosity left in the world.

Scott J Hicks

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2