Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 
Any tech 2's out there? (Read 27,321 times)
Irwin
Super Nerd

Oxnard, Ca., California, USA
Oxnard, Ca.
California
USA

Any tech 2's out there?
Mar 7th, 2011 at 9:31am

Interested in finding a tech 2, wondering how much used ones go for and the level of sport (year). Never used one before so I have some questions about required additional components.

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Re: Any tech 2's out there?
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 10:54am

there are good deals out there, but you have to be careful of the cloned ones.  buying used is good for the wallet, however not so great on support. 
you could give jaime lazarus a call since he's one of our autonerdz distributors  Wink.  he sells and supports a wide range of diagnostic equipment. 
here's his nerdz page:  http://www.autonerdz.com/carwhisperer.html
and here is his website:  http://www.the-carwhisperer.com/Home.htm

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 2:23pm

From my understanding, a OTC genisys can do everything a tech2 can - (AT least thats what I have been told).

Im not even sure who makes them anymore - SPX/OTC? Vetronix?

I noticed on ebay theres a couple used ones with candi for about 1600,
theres a new OTC tech2 for 4000, OTC genisys EVO for 2500.

You can find just about any accessory you want for them on ebay - I though about buying one a year ago....But as you knnow, I am just learning to use one for more advanced diagnostics.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician
Elevation: AVG 648 ft.

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 6:10pm

I have a Tech 2 and Genisys (Mac branded) engine and trans there are lot of similarities in coverage although the tech 2 trumps the aftermarket every time.  It is gaining access beyond just engine and trans that there is a huge difference between a factory and AM scan tool.

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 6:31pm

Randy H. wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 2:23pm:
From my understanding, a OTC genisys can do everything a tech2 can - (AT least thats what I have been told).

no, no, no  Smiley, the genisys doesn't compare to the t2.  OTC does make some tech 2s, though.

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 7:03pm

Randy,

Quote:

They aren't even in the same league. Whomever told you that was very much mistaken.

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Spence
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Jeffersonville, Pennsylvania, USA
Jeffersonville
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 7:28pm

Carl Grotti wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 7:03pm:
Randy,

Quote:

They aren't even in the same league. Whomever told you that was very much mistaken.

+1

N.B.S.   Dilly Dilly!  FJB
WWW WWW spencedecordre  
IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 8:22pm

Carl Grotti wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 7:03pm:

Thanks for straightening that out - it was actually a OTC sales rep that told me that - go figure!

What does the tech 2 do that the genisys doesn't?

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2011 at 10:06pm

Randy H. wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 8:22pm:
What does the tech 2 do that the genisys doesn't?

since the tech2 is the GM factory scan tool (obviously not including global A platforms), it reads ALL modules that have scan data, can program all modules (unlike j2534 that only do modules that the manufacturer allows [ie., typically only pcm-emissions related]), and has far superior bi-directional controls.  these are just a few advantages i can think up right now  Wink

i recommend you take a peek at some old posts by carl for some tech 2 screen captures and capabilities (try starting on page 34 in the general tech discussion archives).  also, take a peek at some by rich barton for some of ford's ids captures (carl has some nice pds captures as well).  actually, mick has some more recent posts that include the tech 2 in use. 

i haven't used a genisys in years, and was never very impressed.  snap on's platform is currently the only aftermarket "do all" scanner i put any faith in (and even that is a stretch  Tongue).

Irwin wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 9:31am:
Never used one before so I have some questions about required additional components.

irwin,
i have limited experience with the t2 also, but i'll try to help with this part also.  the can di module will be needed for anything using the can network.  there are some other cards available to do some other manufacturers (ie, isuzu, saab, etc.).  you'll need an account set up for programing along with some misc. adaptors (only saturn comes to mind here).

really, the best advice is to find someone that has a similiar support system as tom's.  since you aren't familiar with it you want someone to back you up in case of emergency.  that backup is usually the person you purchase from.  i mentioned jaime because he is one of us nerdz  Grin, but there are others out there.  i don't think the ebay sellers will have anything to add as value to a purchase other than a lower up front cost.  if the t2 they sell is a clone then your upfront cost just skyrocketed  Angry.

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Irwin
Super Nerd

Oxnard, Ca.
California
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 12:25am

The reason i began looking for a tech 2 relates to the issue of atm vs. oe scanners. I recently had a chevy pickup with an SIR light on. SIR module scan reported b0096 (if i recall correctly) which was a PPS fault detected. From here you have to use a scanner to command the PPS module (passenger presence sensor) to flash a sub code through the rearview mirror light's airbag indicator. There is no procedure to manually flash the dtc and the EASE scanne will not do this, it doesn't even show that there is a PPS module onboard (there is one ther, i checked, it's underneath the pass. seat).

I exhausted my resources, inspected pps for harness pinching (per tsb), visually insoected pps system components, ran through repiar information, and i was unable to get around needing to know what the pps dtc was. I suspect that the pps sensor had an intermittent fault, as the dtc wasn't always present, or the network may even be at fault as there was a u code. I has thought about manully testing the pps sensor for an output, since it is a voltage divider ct. But i always get leary of testing airbag system compinents w/o having the appropiate procedures at my fingertips. Anyways, this one unfortunatley had to go to the dealer.

So now im in the process of building a case for purchasing the tech 2 or even better yet, the newest gm scanner. I need to compile a list of instances where the oe level scanner would have been necessary. Anybody out there got some info on the benefits of what the oe scanner will do over an atm scanner? (specifically for the tech 2 or the MDI?).

I've also been building a case to purchase a reprogrammer. Been taking fords down to the local college and reflashing them in order to compile a list on the necessity of reprogramming. I'm about ready to present the info to management, now i just need to decide which reprogrammer to go with. EASE makes one, but I'm not sure if I want to go with them due to my scope experience with them. I've been thinking about the Drew Tech carDAQ plus. Seems like it's got a lot of industry support and backing, and Jamie Lazarus sells them (thanks for the link crackerlicker). Anybody out there used this?

IP Logged

Tim
Freshman Member

Central Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
Central Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:46pm

I own a Tech2 and IDS, purchased the T2 from ebay after making sure it wasn't a clone, IDS I bought from the dealer I used to work for.

OE scanners blow ANY aftermarket scanner away.

Tech2 - Program and set up any vehicle module
Special function test, better bi-directional controls, etc.

IDS - Program any vehicle module (allthough Ford allows all module programming through a J2534 device)
Better functional test and bi-directional controls.
Power balance, relative compression, EVAP testing in the bay, etc.

From what I've heard, GM's new tool GDS2 that works with the MDI is not backwards compatible so you still need a tech2.

As far as a J2534 device I use the CarDaq Plus and would recomend it, on top of seeming to work well with most manufactures it also works with Toyota's TechStream software to turn it into an OE scanner, it also has some decent toolbox options for Chrysler like writing or rewriting vins and SKIM resets etc.

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 3:10pm

Good to know about the tech2 - but I wonder if its feasible to purchase alll the OEM scantools out there......Toyota, Chrysler, GM, Dodge, Nissan : that would be a lot of money.....
And once I think about it, in my opinion, a scantool is the MOST beneficial to a flatrate teechnician anyway......
If I was a flatrater, I would definitely want OEM scantools....because commanding actuators and special tests would be a must.

And, after playing with a Genisys, I see what you guys mean - It doesnt support half of what the tech2 has to offer - so thanks guys for the info on the tech2. I will be keeping all this in mind when I upgrade to another scantool Smiley

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician

IP Logged

The Car Whisperer - Autonerdz
Picogroup

Learning something new
every day!

Ocala, Florida, Florida, USA
Ocala, Florida
Florida
USA

Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2011 at 12:30pm

Randy H. wrote on Mar 7th, 2011 at 2:23pm:

Im not even sure who makes them anymore - SPX/OTC? Vetronix?

I noticed on ebay theres a couple used ones with candi for about 1600,
theres a new OTC tech2 for 4000, OTC genisys EVO for 2500.

You can find just about any accessory you want for them on ebay - I though about buying one a year ago....But as you knnow, I am just learning to use one for more advanced diagnostics.

There is not much accurate information in your post, I'm afraid.  You've been given "corrected" information already but here's more...

A division of Bosch makes the authentic Tech 2.  That division was a division of Vetronix before Bosch bought them out.  SPX is a customer of them (& for the record, GMDE is a customer of SPX).

GM has issued information about non-authentic products available on the internet (by e-bay vendors in particular) and also issued documents on how to identify "clones".  I believe those docs said something to the effect " typically, if the price advertised is "too good to be true", consider it counterfeit".  My feelings:  you get what you pay for...  If you buy based on price expect it to cost you in other ways (such as a failed programming event, etc.).

BTW, I worked for Vetronix & Bosch 2000-2008.

Jaime Lazarus
"The Car Whisperer"
JLazarus1@cfl.rr.com.com
Autonerdz Florida Affiliate
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

drdiesel1
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Nevada USA, Nevada, USA
Nevada USA
Nevada
USA

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2011 at 5:40pm

I have a Genuine GM TECH 2 kit with the  Genuine 32 meg card I will sell for $2400.00 plus shipping.  It comes with all the accessories and the case.
This is my own personal unit and has never been used as a shop tool.
It's been protected by shipping tape on the screen and control face all it's life. I am the original owner and bought this tool from GM Tools directly.
The CanDi module is not included, but I can update it to the latest GM software version for you before I ship it.

You can see the protective tape in this image. The tool is like new condition.

DSC_0006.jpg (276 KB | )
DSC_0006.jpg

IP Logged

DM
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2011 at 9:48am

GM just release the Tech2win program..so Tech 2 is not feasible for you guys who did not buy years ago..Get the MDI..
The tech2win has been out for awhile for other countries...OPEL come to mind.

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #15 - May 22nd, 2011 at 11:21am

Quote:
GM just release the Tech2win program..so Tech 2 is not feasible for you guys who did not buy years ago..Get the MDI..The tech2win has been out for awhile for other countries...OPEL come to mind.

that sounds good, but from what i understand you cannot program with tech2win.

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

rod_au
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Elevation: 19 feet

Grafton, NSW, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
Grafton, NSW, Australia
New South Wales
Australia

Reply #16 - May 22nd, 2011 at 11:39am

I read on the GM site somewhere that Tech2Win will U.S only?

(¯`·._.·[ 010100100110111101100100 ]·._.·´¯)
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

DM
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2011 at 12:35pm

Yes..It warns about sps programming..Have not tried..as I have a Tech2 for that..Perhaps it the near future they will allow it also..We can hope.

IP Logged

Irwin
Super Nerd

Oxnard, Ca.
California
USA

Reply #18 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 7:03pm

Thanks for all of the replies and info guys, much appreciated, and while the 2400 price is tempting I've decided to go with the drew tech cardaq-m as our shop has no rrogrammer at this time, looks like this years tool purchases / upgrades will be the rrogrammer as well as the new portable vacutec smoke machine, I forget the model number but it's $899 from aes wave and it does all of the things the more  Grincostly older unit does, as well as two more additional functions. Expect to have the programer by mid july and hope to have the vacutec by the end of july. Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1