Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

New and excited to learn! (Read 2,807 times)
e36rule
Freshman Member

New and excited to learn!
Oct 14th, 2010 at 12:01pm

Hello everyone, just wanting to introduce myself here. This is literally my first day on the forums and I can already tell there is an extreme amount of knowledge and help here. I've been working for my dad (his repair shop) since I was 15; i'm 20 now. I went to an automotive trade school straight out of high school and came back to work with my dad once I was done. I am brand new to scopes and how to use them. For the time being I am simply wanting to learn how to set up on every vechicle without any troubles and acquiring the correct waveforms (ignition wise mostly). At the same, I want to learn the basics of reading waveforms to help me everyday with misfires, lean, rich conditions. I will take any and every info that is thrown my way. I hope to learn alot and be pointed in the right direction at my times of confusion. Thanks to all and have a great day.  Smiley

IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Re: New and excited to learn!
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 9:40pm

Good to hear how enthusiastic you are.  Modesto huh, used to go down and cruise there back in high school, from Vallejo originally, living in Portland now.  Getting into scopes is such a great idea, but just make sure you have a firm grasp on the basics of engine operation, ignition, fuel, electricity, things like that, before adding the complexitys of scope analysis.  Dont get me wrong, I'm all for scopes, and even some of the simple tests when performed with a scope are amazingly more detailed than with mechanical testing, just be prepared to scratch your head once in a while.  Dont let it get to you too much, it'll all make sense with time.  Since you are just out of school you are still pretty young, it's great to hear how excited you are.  Have fun with your scope trainging man.

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 6:20am

I am a fifty three year old originally from the Bay Area and have been away for years. I work in the  Washington/Alaska commercial fishing fleet; sometimes as crew usually shoreside repair. The oscilloscope is an invaluble electronics troubleshooting tool. It is used in many other applications besides automotive ignition. If you can use a voltmeter you can use a scope. Good luck to you.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Josh
Picogroup

Ken's Equipment Repair

Livingston MT, Montana, USA
Livingston MT
Montana
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 6:18pm

im still learing with my picoscope i got last month, and i think it is never ending learing process.  for help to get started, watch every video on the autonerdz site, and some more on you tube, and look through the help/ waveform built in to the pico.  all that and a lot of practice and calling tom if you have a question will get you on the way. (at least it did for me).
Josh

IP Logged