Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

G'day from Western Australia (Read 2,405 times)
Brad H
Super Nerd

Elevation 367 metres

Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Australia
Kalgoorlie
Western Australia
Australia

G'day from Western Australia
Jul 19th, 2009 at 9:56pm

Hello all, I own a mechanical repair business in the regional gold mining city of Kalgoorlie.
I recently bought a 4423 picoscope kit after becoming increasingly frustrated with my previous "scanner/scope".
The bulk of my work is service/repairs to late model diesel powered light vehicles ie Toyota, Nissan etc.
Petrol powered vehicles would only make up about 20% of our client base, so I don't get as much experience on faultfinding EFI as you guys.
I have been proding,probing & measuring everything in the past two weeks & am getting more confident with the scope.
Brad H

DILLIGAF
blmechanical  
IP Logged

xmrgoodwrench
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Portland, Oregon, USA
Portland
Oregon
USA

Re: G'day from Western Australia
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 8:01pm

Hi Brad.  The U.S. is just about the opposite with regard to fuel type.  We have never been a diesel friendly market.  It is changing very slowly though.  Recent advancements in diesel engine technology from foreign sources should help.  We have adopted world Nox and particulate standards that should have positive influence on the diesel market here.  BMW currently has a marketing campaign aimed at changing the American perspective.  No push to buy one of their cars, just promote diesel fuel.  The general public remains largely uniformed of the high volumetric efficiency of diesels yet keenly aware of their distinct sound and link to cancer.  I sure would like to get my hands on a diesel HiLux/Tacoma.  Basically the only light duty diesels we have are in our full size light duty trucks or vans (Ford, Dodge, or GM).  No diesel imports available for us yet that I know of.  Possibly Honda, Nissan, Toyota or Mercedes Bluetec in the next model year or two.  However, Jeep I think now offers a diesel in one of their new mini SUV's.  I'm not sure maybe you would call it a UTE without a tray or bed.  By the way can you get a diesel in the Ford F series in Australia? Anyway, good to hear from you.

IP Logged

Brad H
Super Nerd

Elevation 367 metres

Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Australia
Kalgoorlie
Western Australia
Australia

Re: G'day from Western Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2009 at 6:33am

G'day Logan,
yes we had the F250 on sale here until Dec 2006.The euro 4 emission standards that came into effect in 2007 killed it off. It was powered by the Navistar 7.3 engine that you guys had up to about 06.The F250 is no longer brought into Australia.Some people do still import them & have them converted to RH drive,but not supported by "Ford Australia".Three months ago a bloke here took delivery of a Dodge ram for AU$130,000.The price you pay to be different I guess.
Japanese diesels are by far the most popular choice in regional Australia & have been for a number of years.
In 2007 the emission laws saw the introduction of common rail injection engines,which has presented a whole new raft of problems.
Most have been software issues which have to be addressed by the dealers.
I think this will be the next challenge facing suppliers of aftermarket scantool/programming devices.
Brad

DILLIGAF
blmechanical  
IP Logged