Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Entire Email System Rendered Unreliable (Read 6,361 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Entire Email System Rendered Unreliable
Feb 27th, 2008 at 9:21pm

We have posted many times here in different areas about the spreading practice by Internet Service Providers handling email to install spam filtering beyond the reach of their clients.

Spam is insidious, but the cure has proven worse than the disease.  Now it has reached the point that this 'cure' has rendered the entire email system unreliable. 

This is because there is no such thing as a spam filter that works.  ALL spam filters catch a percentage of mails that are legitimate, even important, while missing much of the spam they are designed to eliminate.

So, if you email anyone, be sure the intended receiver has another way to contact you because you have no way of knowing if their reply can reach you or if yours will reach them.

Just because you have exchanged email with someone before is no assurance that you will tomorrow.  The mails that are blocked change every day.

Only when customers demand that they be in control of what they will be allowed to read will this practice be ended.  So, tell your ISP that you demand that all of your mail be available somewhere for you to see, so you can pick out the emails from your spam folder that are important to you.

The reason for this post is that most people do not know they are paying someone to do this to them.  After all, you are not likely to know about things you never receive.  They will often deny that they are censoring your mail beyond your reach but most now do.

This has become very frustrating for people like me that depend on being able to communicate through email.  Now I have to attempt to call everyone that I email just to see if they got it.   Huh 

Ridiculous.   Angry

I can't always do that.

So, if you email me for any reason and do not receive a reply it is not because I didn't sent you one.  More likely, you didn't include a phone number or any other method for me to reach you.   Dead end.  I often do not know that mail was blocked from you either.  Try calling me if you didn't receive a reply.

Bottom line... email used to be very reliable, now it is more like a message in a bottle.

Everyone should speak with their $$ and put an end to this abuse.

OK that's my rant for today    Tongue

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Re: Entire Email System Rendered Unreliable
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 11:04pm

Yeah, the e-Mail system doesn't work. Smiley

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 8:19am

Fisher,

This was written in 2004:

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=17300016

It's gotten a lot worse since then.  Lately I have noticed many more services using server mail blocking that used to be reliable..MSN, Hotmail, Comcast, Yahoo,  etc....  The cancer is spreading.

The cure is public awareness and action to reject services that engage in this practice.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

ekul
Picogroup

"The Nutty Professor"

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 2:58pm

G'Day Gang,

Hi! Tom ... are you blacklisted anywhere?

Cheers!
Kevin

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 3:30pm

Kevin,

I'm sure I am.  I get blacklisted at random like so many other people.  All it takes is for your email address to get harvested once and used as a cloak for a spammer. 

This is one of the many reasons that sever level spam filters and blacklisting create so many problems.  All it takes is for some computer in the world that has your email in an address book to be compromised by a trojan virus.  Or have your email visible on any web site on the planet that a harvester bot can snag.  This is one of the reasons we use such high security on these forums so that all members addresses are secure. 

I have recently again been receiving spam from myself for various pharmaceuticals.  Not the first time.... 

A lot of innocent people are caught up in this overzealous and futile effort to combat spam with blacklists.

The only way to combat spam is to have a program running locally on your own machine or on a server that filters spam into a folder for your review without ever deleting anything.  The one I use is kind of an artificial intelligence that learns over time what is spam and what is not.  I have had it for some time now and it has become about 95% accurate but still misses an important communication once in a while.  But it learns from its mistakes and becomes better all the time.  Spam just isn't a problem.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 6:24pm

Sorry Tom... it sounded like you were excited about something that people like me will be complacent about as my Hotmail account has rarely disappointed me.
  My anti-virus and antispyware program is Windows 'LiveOne Care'. I find it is the least intrusive of any of them although it slows things down. Windows Internet Explorer 7 is downloaded and it has an anti-phishing filter... I keep it shut off.
     I dont need it as I dont accept solicitations. Hotmail has a file called junkmail and I occasionally get obvious scammers.
  All of my use is personal use. I imagine your problem is business related.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 8:05am

Fisher,

Quote:
my Hotmail account has rarely disappointed me.

Quote:
Hotmail has a file called junkmail and I occasionally get obvious scammers.

As you now know, your Hotmail is blocking mail from you, preventing it from even reaching your junkmail folder.  It is blocking my mail and who knows how many others.  I did get some non delivery messages which I forwarded to you to show you that your mail is censored.  I had to send them in a sneaky way to get them through the block. 

Here is part of the message:

Quote:
Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help.

Unfortunately, with Hotmail and many pay services, calling your service provider is not any help.  They will usually deny that they are doing this to you.  Refusing to admit that there is a problem is the problem.  They are doing it, know they are doing it, and can stop doing it at any time.   

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged