Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

New 2000 series pico scopes (Read 3,262 times)
jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

New 2000 series pico scopes
Feb 10th, 2008 at 6:17pm

Pico has an new offering of low cost 2 ch scopes

http://www.picotech.com/ultracompact-oscilloscopes.html

Probably not the best for auto since its only 8 bit with an accuracy of +/- 3 % but it has a interesting waveform generator and  one of the offerings has advanced triggering.  Check em out.

Sam

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: New 2000 series pico scopes
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 8:51am

I agree, Sam.

I would not consider these nearly as suitable or powerful as the 3000 series for automotive work.

They would not work with the automotive software and 20 v max inputs with no thermal fuse protection, smaller internal memory, 8 bit, min 50mv range, etc.   The 3000 series automotive scopes are far superior for automotive use.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: New 2000 series pico scopes
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 11:47pm

Since we have been fielding some inquiries on the 2000 series for automotive use, I thought I would expand on this a little more:

I would not consider these nearly as suitable or powerful as the 3000 series for automotive work.

They would not work with the automotive software and:

20 v max inputs instead of 50v.

No thermal fuse protection so are more likely to be damaged by accidental ground loop hookups.

Much smaller internal memory, reducing performance significantly at block mode time bases.

8 bit resolution instead of 12 bit..Much less detail on small voltage changes which are very important especially when looking at current probe ranges.

Min 50mv range instead if 20mv, limiting current probe resolution for small current ranges.   

Only two channels

The 3000 series automotive scopes are far superior for automotive use.

These new scopes may be a little less expensive than the 3000 series, but when you add up all the leads and accessories, which would have to be purchased separately, you really would be paying much more. 

Compare the list price for a two channel 3223 all by itself at $798 with a 2205 at about $575.  You are only saving about $200 for sacrificing all the benefits and features available in the 3223.

The 2000 units will not be packaged in an automotive kit.  The Autonerdz PicoScope automotive kits are still a much better deal and a lot more bang for the buck, especially when you get the enhanced Autonerdz package.

If you wanted to put a kit together with all of the things in our Master Kit II but with a 2205 scope instead of the 3223 the cost would be over $1900.  Our Master Kit II with the 3223 scope is currently only $1550 and includes our $650yr support and training package which would not apply the the kit with the 2205. 

So....more expensive, less capabilities, and less support and training.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged