Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pico technology/ Temp data loggers (Read 4,293 times)
jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Pico technology/ Temp data loggers
Jan 27th, 2008 at 7:52am

www.picotech.com

I check out pico's direct website so often and their is some interesting stuff.  Like currently they only have one phone Sad due to technical difficulties.

On the brighter side they have moved to a new larger location.

I was also checking out their temp data logging stuff.  The tc-08 has been out for some time now but I was looking and there is a th-03 now.

http://www.picotech.com/thermocouple.html

From what I can tell tc-08 allows up to 8 temp measurements using standard thermocouples and is a usb interface.  Response time looks like 100ms

http://www.picotech.com/thermistor.html

The th-03 only does 3 measurements and is a serial port also the responce time is much slower and I am not sure if its standard thermocouples or dedicated temp sensors

I have often thought having a temp data logger could be useful in the automotive applications.

Any thoughts or comments on wich you would rather use?  BTW I do have a IR thermometer of course that is only one temp at a time and if you aim it at the right spot Smiley

Thanks Sam

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Re: Pico technology/ Temp data loggers
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 1:06pm

I have a non-branded IR and also a thermocouple.
I used a Fluke IR on a marine application, they are quite useful BUT- The Fluke's  operators manual describes materials that their IR cant get a good reading from. That  essentially includes surfaces that reflect, like mirrors or polished or painted steel surfaces. There were many materials.
Any other branded IR will do just as the Fluke does. They are great for things like rubber hoses (coolant) or exhaust pipes. I have deduced  yet, not directly read it... I mean The Fluke operators manual desribes the limitations of the tool, naming like materials including the mirrored or painted but did not elaborate.
The laser is not the heat sensor, it is only used as a reference point for eyesight of the user. You ought have the unit placed close to what is being measured.
I saw recently that a painted surface, it was a cylinder head, gave consistent readings, if not accurate as Fluke said. Fluke does not  describe what happened if you measured those materials so I INFERRED that to mean there is a problem with magnification of the heat as well as reflection; it is measuring infra red waves, light is  'electromagnetic frequency' in the schoolbooks.
Since we are dealing with frequencies, and light and heat are reflected by the polished surface; readings are skewed by the reflection of the heat.
A rusty exhaust is not reflecting much heat so you are measuring only what you are pointing at, essentially.
You could use that tool you are buying to measure catalyst reaction times... perhaps if you had known good catalyst readings to start out with, for comparing... Here is one damned thing... I know there is a distinct measurable temperature difference bewteen a lean burning cylinder and a rich one. Large diesels commonly did have a pyrometer located at every exhaust port from the cylinder, used to judge the condition of the injectors.  Cylinder temperatures could be quite useful in studying misfire problems. If we can eliminate air/fuel ratio as the cause of misfire then the rest is icing on the cake.
Lean misfires will commonly burn hot and spark ignition failures are the opposite; the fresh injected fuel and air dont burn and they cool the cylinder walls instead of dry it out... how dumb is that for %^&*()'$ sake?
Pardon me, I mean there is an easy way to determine if a misfire is fuel caused or electrical caused.
MAN! A thermistor/pyrometer plug could be screwed into the exhaust at every cylinder... I suppose the OEM are depressed that you'd need to wire the exhaust manifold. What a pain.
        The temperature differences are profoundly measurable, compared to the existing phenomenon. . Not having that kind of self diagnosis in the ECM is liked being stopped at a stop sign and waiting for it to say GO!
MAN!
  Hey, I hereby claim the that I thought of it first.
Your new tool is going to work wonders, Mr. Jarvis.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2008 at 1:25pm by fisher »  
Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 5:35pm

Perhaps I have stuck the foot into the mouth...

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 6:16am

Fisher my thougts for use of these tools would be more a long the line of heating and air conditioning.  The three sensor would be adequate for looking at heater core inlet and outlet temp and vent temp at the same time.  The 8 ch one could also look at the radiator inlet, outlet, thermostat  and still have two more sensors available for use.

For ac it would be similar deal the inlet and outlet of the evap and vent temp with the 3 ch and the other would do that plus the condensor inlet outlet.

Misfire use is a possiblity but the newer cars cat. code long before the cat would have not heat increase.

Sam

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 8:13am

Sam,

The TH-03 is a serial port model and the TH-08 is USB.  So, you may need the USB/serial adapter with a TH-03.  Also, the USB unit is powered from the USB.

Of course, you could do temp graphing with PicoScope too but, last I heard, PicoLog is not compatible with the 3223 and 3423 automotive scopes.

I am not as familiar with Pico's test and measurement line like I am the automotive.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged