Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

stall on warm start... (Read 9,935 times)
natefico
Freshman Member

stall on warm start...
Jan 10th, 2008 at 3:00pm

Hey guys,

With the winter blend of gas I experienced a drop in 20 miles to the tank. So I figured I try 92 octane gas. Right after I filled up and I started the car it stalled. So I was paranoid and just tried starting it again and same thing happen. About the third time I started to think and opened up the throttle once it started to idle and had throttle opened for a few seconds and let off and it was idling fine. Next morning it started up just fine. It appears it starts up just fine during cold start conditions. The problem I am having now is during warm start conditions. Ill go on a short trip to a store and once I am back in the car and fire it up it will stall without assistance with some throttle.

I asked my instructor and his first impressions based on my story would be that I would have leaking injectors and be flooding the engine.

So what I am wondering is would a higher octane gas cause these problems? Or perhaps they are unrelated and it is just a coincidence? Furthermore, can the Picoscope be used to help diagnose this problem? Any quick fixes?

Is it also odd that a code hasn't been set? I am still astonished with my ignorance Sad

Almost forgot, I am driving an 2001 Nissan Sentra SE 2.0 liter

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Re: stall on warm start...
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 3:26pm

Hi and welcome
natefico wrote on Jan 10th, 2008 at 3:00pm:
Hey guys,

With the winter blend of gas I experienced a drop in 20 miles to the tank. So I figured I try 92 octane gas. Right after I filled up and I started the car it stalled. So I was paranoid and just tried starting it again and same thing happen. About the third time I started to think and opened up the throttle once it started to idle and had throttle opened for a few seconds and let off and it was idling fine.

If this happened whilst you were still at the gas pump it is not the fuel as you have a filter,rail and injectors full of your old fuel to consume before the new gas has a chance to be used.

My first tool would be the scan tool and look at fueltrims.

These vehicles have a problem with MAF sensors and ecm's Check your VIN number at the dealer to see it the updates have been done on the cam and crank sensors, and ecm.

natefico wrote on Jan 10th, 2008 at 3:00pm:
Next morning it started up just fine. It appears it starts up just fine during cold start conditions. The problem I am having now is during warm start conditions. Ill go on a short trip to a store and once I am back in the car and fire it up it will stall without assistance with some throttle.

Just a coincidence at this time I think check the above first.

Mick

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 3:31pm

Nate also check the throttle body for coking.  If it's dirty, clean it out with a toothbrush and some throttle body cleaner.  Sounds like it may be lacking idle air supply.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Smitty
Picogroup

Are we having fun yet?

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2008 at 9:08pm

Nate,
winter blend gas has lower flash point then summer grade gas/ you may be getting a case of vapor lock due to gas boil from winter blend gas in summer, or low fuel pressure.  Smitty.

IP Logged

twelch
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2008 at 10:13am

If you are a member of iATN, there was a discussion about octane and RVP recently. I believe there was mention of Ford having a bulletin about what you are experiencing. I don't remember the thread name but it was in the last week or two.

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2008 at 6:18am

Hey Nate,
try cycling the key-off-on a couple of times(prime the fuel rail) and see if it helps, fuel may be "perking" at a hot start-soak

Dave

IP Logged

Jim_Wilson
Super Nerd
Picogroup

nothing to say

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2008 at 9:55pm

Quote:
Is it also odd that a code hasn't been set?

Not odd at all....

Quote:
Any quick fixes?

On iatn, you'll probably get 30 quick fixes. Its just a matter of picking the right one.  Smiley

Quote:
I asked my instructor and...

At the risk of unintentionally offending you, I'm guessing this means your fairly new to the field. In which case I know its a tough road your facing.

One thing you have to keep in mind. Today instructors/educators tend to speak in terms of system operation in a "the computer monitors and sees such and such. Therefore, when this happens, the computer does this and that".

The problem is, older vehicles were equipped with technology far below todays and therefore much of the system programming only works as it should if current events/signals fall within certain "windows".

My comment above about it not being odd that a code hasn't set would also apply to much newer vehicles with much greater onboard diagnostic capabilities.

If there is no stored code, then other than an educated guess, you've got your work cut out for you. The absolute worst scenario is when the calibrators could not forsee a given fuel characteristic for a given situation and there is not yet a new calibration (or in some asian vehicles) or a new pcm to address the problem. Been there done that too many times...

I think though, the basics have already been mentioned. Throttle body coking, dripping fuel injectors, leaking regulator, fuel quality, etc...

I am not marketing any service or product.
Everyone happy now?

IP Logged