Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Not getting the email when registering? (Read 6,746 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Not getting the email when registering?
Dec 8th, 2007 at 7:17pm

If you have tried to register on The Autonerdz Community Forums and never received an email response from the system there could be a couple of reasons....

1.  You made a typo or entered an invalid email.

2.  Your email service is unreliable.

Could be that you did receive it and it's lodged in a spam folder.  Be sure to check this.  If it is not anywhere and you know you entered it correctly then you may have an ISP that deleted your mail at the server level.  Ask them if they do this and tell them to stop it.  You may need to use an alternative email to be able to receive mail reliably if they can't or won't stop censoring your mail.  This problem is way more common than you might think.

You have to have a valid email to register.  Feel free to try again or PM me for help, if you are having difficulty.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Re: Not getting the email when registering?
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 8:16pm

I have twice tried to unlock my address so that members can e-mail me but it remains hidden...

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 9:17pm

Your fine Fisher.  Members can email you.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 5:56pm

Add all Hotmail accounts to the list of invalid emails.  Hotmail blocks and deletes email at the server level now and therefore is no longer a reliable email service.  If you have Hotmail, you will need to change to another service that takes email delivery seriously.  You will likely not be able to register here using Hotmail.  I can't even email Hotmail users directly anymore.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 6:41pm

Tom, what is a 'server level'? Having to change addresses is not good. It is like changing a business number for the sake of the new phone one purchased. Now you must call friends and family and tell them the new number. I use hot mail. I have been getting mine, like when asking to be notified when there is a reply to a posting, or when paying bills, or being contacted by the folks I owe money to.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 11:06pm

Fisher,

Good to hear you are getting your mail.  Not sure why.  Have had several Hotmail users in the last week that cannot receive mail.  Just gets bounced back.  Server level filtering deletes your mail before it ever even reaches your spam folder or anything else you can see.  In the quest to reduce spam, many servers are doing this.  In all cases it renders email unreliable.  Users should have the choice and be able to see what has been tagged as spam.

Had a Verizon user who has bee trying to register on the forums for weeks.  He had to get a Yahoo account to be able to receive mail.  Verizon is another one that does this.

Unfortunately, these solutions to spam are rendering the entire email system undependable.  The spammers win I guess.

Maybe if enough customers know about this practice and demand that it stop, it will.

Part of the problem is email cloaking.  Spammers cloak their garbage as coming from legitimate sources.  Then the legitimate sources get blocked.  I have been getting spam lately from myself so that is part of the issue.  My email has been used to cloak.  Nothing that can be done about that.  That's just one reason why spam filters are not effective and always block legitimate mail.  When it is deleted before you see it, you can't get much of your legitimate mail.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 12:39am

Windows has "Live OneCare", a security software program that is close to non-intrusive, I use it. It has a phishing filter that I disabled.
  I have been approached a number of times by scammers; they either threaten or solicit when uninvited and they offer something to good to be true.
  I get online for free here at the shop where I am living, so I haven't a clue as to what or who the server is; I presume they are whom I would pay for the DSL should I pay for my own when I leave here.
I occasionally find mail in the spam folder that is not spam.
I suppose gmail is tighter.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged