Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Poll closed Poll
Question: Shall the forums upload file size limit be removed?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes, make it unlimited    
  1 (12.5%)
No, leave it like it is    
  1 (12.5%)
I don't know    
  2 (25.0%)
I don't care    
  0 (0.0%)
Just raise the limit, say 5MB    
  4 (50.0%)
Just lower the limit, say 1MB    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 8
« Created by: Tom Roberts on: Nov 22nd, 2007 at 10:00pm »

Shall the Forums Upload File Size Limit Be Removed (Read 7,166 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Shall the Forums Upload File Size Limit Be Removed
Nov 22nd, 2007 at 10:00pm

We have been tossing the idea around about the file size limitation on uploaded files.  Currently this is at 1.5MB. 

Not likely any picture would exceed this limit, however there is no need to upload enormous pictures.  They are just hard to view anyway.  Take the time to resize them to a more viewable size and they will be smaller in file size and easier to view.  800x600 (best for all) or 1024x768 are standard sizes that work.

This proposal is mainly for larger data files.  Particularly Pico psdata files, which contain very large amounts of data and tend to be larger, especially with the high sample rates.

We can raise this limit, lower the limit, or remove the limit.  How does this affect you?  Well, if we make the file size unlimited, you can upload very large files.  If we raise it, somewhat larger. 

The reason for this poll is to see how much desire there is for this change.  We are able and willing to make a change if there is enough desire for it.  Obviously, this has the potential to require a lot more server space and bandwidth.  Shouldn't be a problem as long as everyone used this new power responsibly and only uploads what is needed. 

For example, you have one screen in a 32 screen capture that is the subject of discussion.  No need to upload a 32MB multi screen data file, when one screen out of the series would do.

We are all about facilitating the use of these forums and make them better and easier to use and share information.  If that means more server space, so be it.  Just thought it was good to have a poll on this.

What do you think.  Please vote and add any comments you might have here.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Re: Shall the Forums Upload File Size Limit Be Rem
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 6:19am

Tom

No need to go unlimited but an increace to 8mb would be ample

Is there a way to put a notice up whilst clicking on the upload browser button explaining the file size and numbers of screen captures limited.

Of course the email option is the least expensive way for everyone.

Mick

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

mdog
Picogroup

Woof! Woof!

Everett, WA, Washington, USA
Everett, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 8:16am

Tom,
It might be beneficial to the AutoNerdz forums to make a movie with Camtasia, and show people how to resize a photo.  Anything else you could put into the presentation that would demonstrate some basic skills, like right clicking on a file and checking its properties for file size, may be helpful to some who don’t know.  At least with some instruction available, they would have the knowledge of how to keep their file size at a smaller size when possible.

I had to go with the "I don't know" on your poll.  I personally don't upload that much stuff, so it's not that big of issue to me.  I'm sure to some, it may be important though.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 8:35am

Hi Mick,

Quote:
Is there a way to put a notice up whilst clicking on the upload browser button explaining the file size and numbers of screen captures limited.

Not that I know of.  The types of allowed files and the file size limit is posted under the upload dialog though.

Mike,

Good idea on the movie.  We have that one Pico movie explaining the process.  Something like that would be good maybe.

Thanks for your input.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Rick Hill
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 12:17pm

Tom I know that bandwidth doesn't come cheap so I'm ok with it the way it is. The service you currently provide us with is allready more than a lot of forums provide for free. When I asked for Micks file and it was to big to upload it wasn't any problem to send my email to him and have him send it that way.

Rick Hill

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 6:01pm

Tom, you could offer directions for  uploading files. 
   For exmple a rather larger title asking "...if you wish to download files, please do this..." ; click that request and be taken to something that first explains the neccessites and then offers ways to do that...

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 8:29pm

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 7:41pm

Thanks for the input.

I was hoping for some more votes on this but looks like there is enough call for an increase of the attachment size limit. 

It's now 8MB   Smiley

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged