Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Greetings from Nashville, looking for advice. (Read 15,247 times)
Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Re: Greetings from Nashville, looking for advice.
Reply #15 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 4:09pm

Nick,

Thanks for your insight. I've listened to Mr Linders view on scanner sharing. Would you really want to take the chance in leaving your scanner or scope in the hands of someone that may not have the respect for it, nor the training on it? My feeling is the shop owner should be equipped. In addition, the personnel needs to know how to treat that equipment. I'll comfortably disagree with loaning out my tools unless I know that person well.

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 4:58pm

Carl

In my area we have an AC Delco dealer who has a parts store and a repair center we hold a training group night once a month. This facility has a program that allows you to use an up to date scan tool that they have to do the job. If a new piece of equipment is bought we will get the training to use it, the training is not free. In fact the training cost that is split up among those in the group, sometimes covers the price of the tool, but those in the group get to use that tool.

On the other hand, there is only one person that is allowed to take a scan tool from my shop, but never a scope.

Mick

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #17 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 6:43pm

I know that if one has thieves in his shop, then he hasn't hired the right people. I know if ESO prefers no personal contact with his crew then they are probably getting the low end of the pay scale and that there might be more thievery in such a shop than in one  where the crew is like a happy family.
It would be odd to be in a lifeboat but refuse to lend your bailer because the owner didn't provide one... but current practice proves to be the result of theft.  If it were not for the thief, there would be more generous fellows about us.
     Imagine a shop where every man must provide his OWN Modis, 5 gas analyzer, PC, NGS, TECH2,
AUTOENIGINUITY,calibrated torque wrenches,DRB3, superduty battery charger and charging system tester, etc... there probably isn't one.
   There is obviously room for improvement. First and foremost you ought  protect your investment.
             I have thought about it somewhat. My dreamshop would be a co-operative. That would make it necessary for the principals to trust each other enough lend each other either their tools or experience but, with an eye towards investing your money in tools the others dont have as part of legal agreement. Imagine if every sailor on a ship had to provide his own lifeboat. As it is, every sailor rowing a lifeboat must work with other people; they row in cadence or not at all.
I thought it might be helpful if I posted an inventory on my locked box with some sheets that any borrower signs. Yeah you can borrow my tools but, you sign them out.
  We aren't going to be working for an ESO then either, as his employees usually reflect his attitude. If I worked for an ESO, nobody can borrow my tools,maybe including the owner less it might cost me my job.
The best shop makes money by working TOGETHER. The only way the co-operative could survive would be if the principals (legal founders) are friendly, mature and sober towards each other...  they are friends as well as workmates and business owners then.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Gary
Freshman Member

Reply #18 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 9:13pm

"You know there are two mistakes some make when it comes to troubleshooting... Using a scanner and using a scope. At the wrong time, for the wrong reason, in the wrong way,  and without a good grasp of logic...The way I see it is like this."

" Many techs have gone overboard with scopes because they were never really taught how to not just view scanner data streams, but how to think. Deductive reasoning, inductive reasoning, and my favorite, "the art of inference". Sometimes what is NOT to be found in the data stream is a source of information. "

Jim you are so right. Even I am guilty of these mistakes.  SmileyI admit that I can overthink a problem, but in my defense I also like to verify that the worse case is not the cause of a problem. I also like to have have proof on paper for the customer and for the shop files, what was done before and list the cronic problems associated with their model car. Basicly to have an in house database of cars in our area/region.

Deductive, inductive and inference reasoning are to me, a lost art. Smiley I have repeatedly seen how many new tech and some old schoolers take the scanner data at face value. I was once one myself until I got my REAL WORLD training. Now I understand that yes the scanner is a important tool, it isn't the perfect tool for every car or every problem. I believe that if scope reading and understanding were taught in my tech school, I would not be as frustrated as I am now.

"The world of scope diagnostics is much more absolute. Scope work is so much more direct.  And if the interpretation of the waveform is wrong, you have no one to blame but yourself for missing it.  Sure, scopes can lie, but only if there is an operator error involved."

Tom, you are absolutely right. Smiley Why depend on a scanner software writer to diagnose a car when you can get the same info directly from the car. Tapping directly into the wiring harness to see how sensors and actuators really act.  A good analogy is to use a vacuum gage to see engine vacuum, instead of the MAP sensor. We all know that the MAP can lie, but our gage will not as long as we keep it calibrated.

Carl, Nick, Mick and Fisher. I already know the power of OE scanners. When I was at caddie, I couldn't wait until I could use the Tech 2 scanner. I especailly liked the override and service bay test functions. However, it is hard to justify the cost of 5 or more scanners, plus a generic scanner. A scope and knowledge of it's use are much more cost effective. I do agree that every driveability tech should be required to have a scope, 5 gas, scanner, battery charger, charging system tester plus all the other engine related diagnostic tools.  

What I think is an ideal shop is one where everyone teaches each other things that one is not skilled or experianced in and where all the diagnostic tools needed are bought without question. I have been to many shops and this "sink or swim" thinking does not help those who are new to the field. In fact it often discourages good techs who only need REAL WORLD experiance and guildance. I alway hear of this "shortage of experianced technicians". But there is no support for new techs who want to be the best they can. To me, feeding inexperanced techs to the wolves is only asking for trouble, repeated comebacks and misdiagnosis.

I am so thankful I found this forum. I wish I had this kind of access to knowledge and experiance when I first started in this field. Smiley

Gary  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2