Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Greetings from Nashville, looking for advice. (Read 15,236 times)
Gary
Freshman Member

Greetings from Nashville, looking for advice.
Oct 27th, 2007 at 8:49pm

I stumbled across your site in Motor Age and found it both educational and insightful. I am L-1 certified and 2 away from master. I went to tech school, but really didn't gain much useful knowledge.  I lack extensive(but have some) driveability experiance, but am very interested in scopes. I have some time with an ignition scope and can spot odvious KV or burn time problems. A former boss said I have alot of "Book Knowledge, but little pratical knowhow"  

Current shop manager underestimates the value of scopes and mode 6 info. He relies more on genisys to diagnose problems. I tell him that there is important info that the scanner may not give. He tells me that he will bump a car to the dealer if we can't solve the problem in 1 hour. I feel that this is a real downer because we will not grow as a shop or me as a technician. I will only say that this shop is one that specializes in undercar care. I was brought on as a driveability tech to round out the shop services.  

I am looking for advice on diagnostic shortcuts, cronic problem fixes and tool suggestions. Speaking of tools, I would like to ask you all a few questions if I may be so bold. I have been searching the net for computer/laptop based scanners and scopes. I have found some interesting products, but would like to hear from some real techs (not salesmen with pitches) on the useability of these or other products. Auto Enginuity Pro scanner, all Automotive Test Solutions(ATS) products and Pico(of course) are the ones I have found. Other suggestions is welcomed.

When a car comes in to you, what is the first tool you use to diagnose it? driveability with codes and without codes? I know that you verify the problem first, then find out which systems can cause the problem and do a visual check. After the test drive and usual checks, what do you go for next? I ask because I am a little slow in diagnostic and depend on charts to lead me somewhere, but I usually get a "intermittant condition" on those charts which drives me crazy. I m a member of IATN, but currently don't have access to their database or archives.

Thank you for any info and insight you can give to help me be a better tech.     Gary Grin

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Re: Greetings from Nashville, looking for advice.
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 6:07am

Morning Gary,

Welcome to the forums. The first thing I do i verify the concern of the customer, which means you may have to bypass the service writer(some are trained to ask certain questions) The customer knows the car better than you do, they have been driving it everyday, sometimes it is hard to get info from them, some feel, the less they tell you the cheaper it will be. Ask about previous repairs, if any, history on the vehicle.A few minutes with them makes a BIG difference in your direction. Next would be to "baseline" the vehicle, verifying that the basic engine-pump- is good. If you have bad compression, valves etc.., no matter what you do tuning will not fix it. A good vacuum gauge is very handy-or a transducer connected to your pico. 3rd would be to understand the circuit operation you are working with, a good database will help here,I have several, Information is your Friend, you cant have enough, in my book, but sometimes it needs to be condensed from the "engineered writing" of it.So read up. Tools are important also,1st a good gas analizer--measuring what comes out of the engine, tells you alot.2nd a good scope, like pico to trace out you finding, or verify what is not the problem.Scan tools are great, but they need to be accurate, i`m skeered of after market scanners and some OE`s have been know to fib every once in awhile, or translate the info in a way to be deceiving somewhat.Last but not least would be your additude, you have to be committed to fix it(sometimes that hour your Boss gives is not enough) I dont care to read about a help request, or get a call on a vehicle that they have released back to the customer, this puts doubt in the customers mind about your abilities and fear it your`s that you cant find the problem, so keep the vehicle till you get it solved. Persistence on your part and a commitment from the consumer keeps the cash register ringin`. Knowledge(if you dont got it-get it) and a commitment are the key`s to a happy diagnosis
I take the "simple approach", looking for the obvious and have to admit it has served me well.

Regards,
Dave

IP Logged

Ronnie
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Love Pico

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 6:40am

Hi Gary.

Welcome to Autonerdz.

I am a sponsoring member of IATN and have been for a lot of years.As time has marched on I spend more time here than IATN because my needs have changed and there are a lot of dedicated professionals here that will bend over backwards to help you.Not to say there aren't professionals on IATN I just prefer the atmosphere here better.
That being said spend an entire day reading all of the case studies,such as volumetric efficiency etc. and go out and apply.Will your boss allow you to carry the Genisys home?I have owned a Genisys for a long time and to me is a very good machine.It has a lot of bad qualities that with OE tools I have learned the shortcomings and can use this machine to my advantage.I mainly use it with the 5 gas module now and for the B.O.B features but will pick up my OE scanners first,but then that really depends.In this business it helps to have an OE scanner to work on the brands you specialize in.One thing is you cannot work on everything with one scanner because you will set yourselve up for disaster.
I have AE on laptop and have used it but prefer my other scanners more but it has a lot of strong qualities but is still a generic scanner.
I also have Pico,I am on my second one and this has been one of the better decisions I have ever made.
If you want to bridge the gap quickly then I suggest the Nerd series and Pico and within a year from now you will be amazed at what you can do and what you have learned.
I take it you are young and applaud you for your direction but as many here will tell you dues have to be paid but you can cut yours very short with the right direction and the one decision you made is to be here.That is good.
I am not that far from you as I live in Springville AL.
Perhaps we can meet one day and we can play with various tools so you can see first hand what I am talking about as I own an arsenal of tools that would make the tool man blush.That statement was not meant to be bragging by any means just to tell you I take my profession very serious and if I can ever help let me know.

Ronnie.
Master and L1 also.

Ronnie Leverett
dale0961  
IP Logged

Rich Barton
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Pico_Power

Iowa, Iowa, USA
Iowa
Iowa
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 7:19am

Hi Gary,

Lets do something different ,how about you post your problem's and we can help lead you in the right direction.

You are more than welcome to play, we like to learn together here, this is what makes this site kool.

No questions are dumb ones here, with out asking you will never know the answer.

Does your boss plan on buying any othere scanners or a scope for you?

If you are wanting to learn scopes the best training is the nerdz cd collection from autonerdz they helped me the most which Ronnie has already said but I second that.

If you buy an pico scope from Tom then you get his support which is top notch.

All I can say is get your feet wet and go for it.

the guys here are ready to play they just need a case studie to play with.

Never stop learning

Rich Barton
C.R.B. Diagnostic's

IP Logged

Qwix0r

crap, what did I do now?

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Baltimore
Maryland
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 8:22pm

Hi Gary Smiley

I havent been here too long myself, and I dont own a Pico. But I have been around the site long enough to be able to see the differance a decent 4 channel scope can make. If you explore enough, you can find a lot of information in these pages.

One of the best diagnostic shortcuts Ive found is knowing exactly what causes a code to set. Information is a must, I agree with Sleuth on that Smiley

IATN isnt that expensive if you consider what is available, I had been a member for a while, but recently became a sponsoring member, and I believe it has been a worthwhile investment.

As far as tools, Ive had pretty good luck with snapons Solus and Vantage Pro, coupled with Alldata , and access to mitchell if I need it.

Hope to see you around for a while Smiley

Qwix

IP Logged

Gary
Freshman Member

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 9:41pm

Thanks guys, I look forward to picking your brains and learning how to diagnose problems more efficently. Since time is money, I tend to lose myself while trying to fix a car.

Sleuth, I totally agree with you about using a vacuum gauge to see how good the engine air pump is working.  A  timing, valve or air leak problem can easily be spotted this way. Also that info is key to proper diagnosis and understanding. the tool situation is lacking a little. We have Genisys and Solarity 4 channel scope (which was hard to convince the bossman to buy, he didn't see the need for it.) but no gas anlyzer which to me is sad due to the shop doing alot of OBD2 cat. converters. We pass up alot of older cars that need to pass emissions. Plus I just read an article where a tech used it to diagnose a No-Start.

Ronnie and Rich, I will most definiately be getting the CDs to better educate myself on what to look for when using the scope. Right now I don't get much of a chance to use the shop scope due to the new manager wanting to press the time issue. He is good and knows his stuff by way of old school and experiance. I on the  other hand want to have hard proof to take to the customer that a part has failed. This is why I ask about the computer/laptop based scanners and scopes. The ability to print out a screen shot would be a valuable sales tool for the repair. Even if the customer doesn't understand it, they can have it looked at by someone else for a second opinion. Plus I think this that it would reassure the custumer that we know for sure that the recommended repair will be the correct one and not needing to comeback. PROOF is EVERYTHING.

Again Thanks guy. Your opinions have reassured me that the scope is a key tool for diagnosing. I can only hope that I can convince the new manager how important it is to take 5 minutes or so to hook it up and see exactly what the computer sees and not just what it inteprets through the scanner. I will be getting a a scope for personal use and thinking about the Auto Enginuity Scanner software unless someone can show me something better.  

Gary Wink

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2007 at 1:56pm by Gary »  

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 10:13pm

I agree with you that proof is everything. If my customer is told that he or she ought keep the paper you give them as they CAN show it to other mechanics then the idea is to support your own work. It is disgusting to put parts on a car not knowing if they are the fix.
It is rare though that a customer pursues the market thusly;  many people do not care to handle disputes in this fashion - they just move on... "they dont want to know about you or your paper" .
      It is pathetic when it is because they dont believe you.
As a matter of communication between dedicated technicians then, the paper is priceless; a well meaning but stumped  apprentice can send the work along to a more advanced person and with it goes the valuable diagnosis he HAS done to this moment. The scope capture, scan information, and the diagnosis procedure you followed and the actions you took also ought be sent.
Yeah. I suppose the point is to convey to the customer just that the next tech gets a copy only... it's the trust thing.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Ronnie
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Love Pico

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 6:34am

Hi Gary.

I assume you already have a laptop?
If so the AE Pro-line package will yield you the most coverage across the board with the least out of pocket expense and give you good training in computer/scan diagnostics.Just remember to download Irfanview as a free image program and you will be on a good start.There are many here and on IATN that can help you become acclimated to AE and cut your learning curve in half.
If you have questions you can contact Jay H. from his site(AE) and his support is exceptional and he or his staff will answer any questions you have without talking down to you.The only other service I have used that gives this much service satisfaction is Autonerdz and Tom Roberts.
If I may make a suggestion that if you decide to get AE get the duel license so that you can choose to run on PPC or PC as I have both and the cost is minimal but a hassle later on. Smiley

hth.
Ronnie.

Ronnie Leverett
dale0961  
IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 5:59pm

Hi Gary

Welcome to autonerdz

The scope in your shop will gather dust unless you take it upon yourself to practice with it on your own time Yea Gary that is how all these guys here learnt, on good cars that didnt need repairing and no money was made.

So at lunch and break time get it out its your time, but if its out on your time it will stay out and get used on the next vehicle you work on.

Mick

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Nick Rhoads
Freshman Member
Picogroup

autonerdz grad

Eugene OR, Oregon, USA
Eugene OR
Oregon
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 8:07pm

Shipping a vehicle to the dealer after 1hr of diag??? That tells me there is a trust issue from the past. You need to look at identifix as an additional web site to iatn. There is a cost involved Shop should step up and pay for this . I have been  a tech & instructor for 33 years, seen lots of changes over time.  Lately changes are coming to us at warp speed. I have owned a Snapon scanner for eons & have used the troubleshooter cartridge with success on unfamilar vehicles. I also have an Autoenginuity Scanner and a Pico Quad Scope. I have used both for about 2+ years now and have been impressed with both. I especially like the updates downloaded from their respective web sites. The only charge incured was an annual $50 license fee to remain current on the enhanced features for the Autoenginuity Scanner. I would say that is very reasonable based on what I have paid out to Snapon for their updates. Mode $06 is part of my aresenal for certain areas of diagnostics. For instance Ford misfire on Cop equipped vehicles. Also the Autoenginuity is big on translated mode $06 information. Graphing is also a big plus with this Scanner. Hope this helps.

Nick Rhoads Master Tech L1
SunAutoMan  
IP Logged

Gary
Freshman Member

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 1:28am

Thanks so much guys for your input and thoughts on this subject. As many of you already know, the old school way of diagnosing is on it's way out due to computers, sensors and actuators controlling or monitoring every action of engine. There are some tricks that still work to get a general diagnosis, but will not pinpoint the exact failure, especially with emission failures.

Fisher, you are correct in thinking that the papers that we could give the customer would backup our work. I have seen how some people are more willing to spend the money for repairs if they have some sort proof on paper that the repair is truely needed. And this would set our shop apart from any other in the area. I have been around to other places when I was looking for a job and noticed that the only time the customer get a printout of fault codes or specs. is on their invoice. I have seen this done for Brake Inspections so why not for Diagnostics. We could be the only shop that would give this info before any work is suggested or done. I think this could win over alot of people.

Ronnie, Yes I do have a laptop and was surfing the net for diagnostic software when I came across AE's website. After checking out the video I was impressed with what seemed to be a detailed and user friendly program. This is why I was asking for other tech's input. I know that anyone with a product to sale will make it out to be the best thing ever. I saw other software that looked more like it was designed for the hobbist (EZscan), with basic datastream info but nothing for EGR, EVAP, AIR or VVT systems. Plus it didn't have any override abilities or Mode 6 info.

Mick,  the manager just offered to sale me the shop scope. He knows that I will use it at every oportunity and I am the only one who has any idea of how to use it. I am thinking of jumping on the offer, but I it doesn't have all the accessories that I like and the screen is too small. I am considering taking it though, a fair scope is better than none. I think that Pico's scope would be more user friendy and I would be able to printout a screen shoot which is important to me.

Nick, I don't know if it is a trust issue or just his unwillingness to invest the time needed for a thorough diagnosis. I think he puts way too much emphesis on a quick fix instead of understanding and researching how the computer thinks and how it corrects a skewed sensor. The previous manager was more willing to give my way of thinking a chance. He was an electrician for a while and had a good basic understanding of how the computer will do everything it can to keep the engine running at optimal efficancy. Even when given bad data from a skewed sensor.  He moved back to his home state so this is how the new manager got in. I also like Mode 6 info. I resently attended a class on Diagnosing EGR Systems and learned how Mode 6 can be really useful there.  THe instructor also stated that most excessive flow or incorrect command codes are due to a skewed sensor like MAF, MAP or DPFE. Most insuffecant flow codes are due to carbon buildup in the ports. He stated that if you have an engine running at 2500 RPMs and EGR at 100%, you should have a vacuum drop of 7-8 inches if the ports are clean. Anything less than 7 inches indicates a restricted EGR Port. I saw Indentifix and wondered if it was any good. Your opinion definiately has made me consider it worthwhile. I doubt I could talk the bossman into paying for access due to business being really slow lately. He is a member of IATN but not a paying member.

Here is some more info on myself. After tech school I bounced around for a while, but finally landed at a Cadillac Dealership.This is where I got most of my driveability skill and experiance. I started out as a tech helper, but after about 1 year they put me on my own. I knew I wasn't ready for that, but they said "I would Sink Or Swim". Well, I sank after about 10 months. I got "canned" and found my way to my current shop. This shop was just opening up and needed a tech for all the electrial and check engine problems.

Thank you guys for your opinions. Hearing from REAL TECHNICIANS that understands that even though time is money, detailed and thorough diagnosis will win and retain customers. Smiley I get so tired of general diagnosis and it usually become nothing more than parts replacement. Embarrassed

Gary

IP Logged

Jim_Wilson
Super Nerd
Picogroup

nothing to say

Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 1:57pm

Hi Gary,

Quote:
As many of you already know, the old school way of diagnosing is on it's way out due to computers, sensors and actuators controlling or monitoring every action of engine. There are some tricks that still work to get a general diagnosis, but will not pinpoint the exact failure, especially with emission failures.

You know there are two mistakes some make when it comes to troubleshooting... Using a scanner and using a scope. At the wrong time, for the wrong reason, in the wrong way,  and without a good grasp of logic...

I am a GM dealer driveability tech of some 30 years now. My primary diagnostic tool is a Tech 2 scanner. After that, I use my fluke 192 scope, my fluke 863 GMM, a five gas analyser, firstlook sensor, and current probes.

The way I see it is like this. Many techs have gone overboard with scopes because they were never really taught how to not just view scanner data streams, but how to think. Deductive reasoning, inductive reasoning, and my favorite, "the art of inference". Sometimes what is NOT to be found in the data stream is a source of information.

Post modernism with its "relativism" has clouded the usefulness (and truthfulness) of the law of noncontradiction for many. A cannot be non A at the same time and in the same sense. Therefore I can make (at times) use of deductive logic, inductive logic, and inference to find truth in a data stream.

Someone might say concerning a diagnostic routine, "see, the scanner did not help us". Well... maybe it did not because we were not thinking as we might have. It may not have told us what the problem was, but it might have told us what the problem is NOT. From there we can consider what other possibilities there are and if a direction can be inferred from the data.

Another mistake is to brush off the capabilities of a powerful scope such as the pico. While I have a lesser capable scope, even I know when its time to pull it out of my box...

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling it is easier to teach a tech how to make the best use of a scope than it is how to make the best use of a scanner. The more variables in a diagnostic equation the more fuzzy the logic gets.

One of the things I hope to get out of discussions here is how I might better use my scope. And also to challenge myself and find out if I'm being a bit too stubborn at times and not laying aside the scanner and reaching for my scope.

We need both the scanner and the scope. And heck... a gas analyzer is almost a necessity for me these days  Smiley

If you want to get the most out of your scope, your in the right place.

Jim

I am not marketing any service or product.
Everyone happy now?

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 2:42pm

Hi Jim,

Quote:
I have a feeling it is easier to teach a tech how to make the best use of a scope than it is how to make the best use of a scanner.

Very good point.  I totally agree.  Scanners interface with computers programmed by humans with all the fallibility that goes with that.  So many variables, so many PIDS, so many scanners that may or may not interpret any of it correctly.  Then, it all changes.

The world of scope diagnostics is much more absolute.  The laws of physics don't change and you are not dependent on some software routine written by a vehicle or scanner software engineer to tell you what's happening.  Scope work is so much more direct.  And if the interpretation of the waveform is wrong, you have no one to blame but yourself for missing it.  Sure, scopes can lie, but only if there is an operator error involved.  Once you learn your instrument and it's limitations, you can totally rely on the truth of what you see.  The same can never be said about scanner data.

So, yes.  Scope technique and strategy is much easier to teach, I would think.  Why do you think I chose to teach it   Roll Eyes

Quote:
If you want to get the most out of your scope, your in the right place. 

Thank you, Jim.  That means a lot coming from you.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 5:35pm

Hi Gary,

I couldn't agree more with what Jim had to say.

There is so information in scan data that many techs don't utilize. The more experienced you become with what those PID values mean, or doesn't mean, there is less need for a scope in many situations.

As a 23 year GM tech, I can say working strictly on these carlines allows one to become much more familiar with their systems than working with many other manufacturer's carlines. After leaving "dealer-world" in 2000, I didn't know what to expect. It became quickly apparent that I was going to have to learn much more. This is when I sought out training and did quite a bit of R&D on my own time. Prior to this, all I had was manufacturer specific training. The training I sought out was from some of the best instructors in the USA, not some local pizza party. The transition from dealer tech to indy tech was easy actually. Not what I expected, but it was. The foundation was already set and I rolled with it.

The one thing I can't stress enough is the need for factory scanners and programming capabilities. This is something Jim said a long time ago and he's was right. Today, I wouldn't be able to perform many of the simplest tasks without it. In no way is this a slamming the aftermarket scanners, just have both so you don't get in trouble with the limitations.

There are certainly many instances when we do need a scope. Once again, know that instrument well. They all have limitations, just know what they are.

I would also agree that teaching scan data interpretation would be a much more difficult task than scope operation. And yes, this is a outstanding place to be for learning how to get the most out of your scope. There are also some really good studies on scanner usage.  

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Nick Rhoads
Freshman Member
Picogroup

autonerdz grad

Eugene OR, Oregon, USA
Eugene OR
Oregon
USA

Reply #14 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 7:40pm

Gary,
Carl is right, Factory scanners open up so much more potential. I attended Linder Tech Networking conference in 2006 Cheesy. I had heard that factory Scanners are the ticket to quicker diagnosis. After seeing in the seminars the importance of having these tools available, we stepped up as a shop and purchased a Tech2 & NGS. I was blown away by the amount of information that had been hidden from me all these years... Remember I have a Red Brick of my own, We also have a Modis and a Master Tech in our shop. I have heard of certain Shops in the same local banning together to purchase Scanners to share among one another. Shocked What an innovative idea... (Could that be done with a PICO SCOPE????). Don't Know if this is a rumor or if someone out there is involved with a group like this... sound off!! Anyway I have seen 1st hand in the aftermarket what we have been missing for years. Gary, it sounds like you are on the right track, you will receive lots of support here, keep plugging away.  Smiley Nick

Nick Rhoads Master Tech L1
SunAutoMan  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2