Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Viewing dwell on car with coils w/ internal ignito (Read 4,486 times)
FoundSoul
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Viewing dwell on car with coils w/ internal ignito
Jun 21st, 2007 at 7:16am

1995 Miata, wasted spark using a coil pack with internal ignitors....  I need to view the dwell which you'd typically do by getting a trace of the ignition primary (coil negative between the ignitor and the coil) bt that's no so easy to do with a coil pack with internal ignitors...  any ideas?

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'&&http://www.DIYAutoTune.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Viewing dwell on car with coils w/ internal ig
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 8:08am

Hi Jerry.

Viewing primary voltage on these systems is impossible.  Use your low current clamp and look at primary current.  Then you will see the dwell  Smiley

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

FoundSoul
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 9:46am

Thanks Tom-

It appears I can meet my needs by taking a trace of the signal the stock ECU is sending the ignitor and measuring the rise time, then I can adjust dwell with my standalone to match the same rise time, which is what I was after.  This seems to be working well thus far...

Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'&&http://www.DIYAutoTune.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 10:29am

Jerry,

The IC command may not be the same as dwell.  For direct power transistor ignition, it is.  The IC time high (not rise time) is the dwell because the computer controls the dwell.  In other systems, an ignition module controls the dwell and the IC command just serves to control spark timing.

I don't have any captures of this model to say for sure which it is but the diagram below shows an ignition module in the coil.  To answer this question one would need to capture the IC and primary current together.  In any case, the primary current will always be the dwell, whereas the IC signal may not.

miataign.gif (48 KB | )
miataign.gif

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged