Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Going Wireless (Read 6,459 times)
Sleuth
Ex Member

Going Wireless
May 16th, 2007 at 4:05am

I have found out that there are 3 types of wireless contraptions for USB. Bluetooth,LAN-100-300 feet and WAN-long range. I have heard talk of a wi-fi deal also. Anyone here done this or know of anyone who has? I have also heard that the TV industry has started using coaxial 75 ohm cables(bnc) for transmitting HDTV stuff with success, Does the pico use these cables?
Think it would be nice to be....Wireless for test drives, meaning I could leave my box and cables under the hood and just have my laptop in the vehicle? I understand the temps will reach 200+ degrees under the hood and wonder if it will have effects on the Pico? Even If I attached it to the lower half of the windshield, it would save on clutter inside the car. Will a flash drive(usb) installed in a pico  thru a splitter record the data recieved, of course It would have to have a power supply and a gender change?
Thoughts Anyone?
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2007 at 4:29am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Going Wireless
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2007 at 9:14am

Hi Dave,

I don't know anyone that has tried wireless with Pico.  I do know a few that leave the Pico box secured under the hood and simply run the small USB cable into the cab.  The heat could potentially be an issue though.  The Pico 3000 operating temps are 0C to 70C (158F) degrees.

Wireless may be problematic for a few reasons.  The huge amount of data might be corrupted by the wide RFI frequency bands found around underhood areas.  This can also affect the Pico box itself when placed near a strong source.  Plus, then there is the power supply issue.  What's going to power the scope and the device?

The USB Flash drive idea wouldn't work, because the software and drivers are needed to collect the data.  Not sure I understand the benefit anyway when we can record for such long periods with the PC.

The USB is a very reliable data line and convenient power supply as well.  Personally, I leave the Pico box in the cab away from heat and RFI sources and just run the leads under the hood.  That way, I feel better about how secure everything is and know that I will have clean signals.  The leads have plenty of length for this.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2007 at 10:12am

Thanks for the reply Tom. Heat was a concern, nice to know it is good to 70C.(easy to fix)
Regards,

IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2007 at 8:49pm

put a confuser at both ends, one at the circuit to be tested , the other at the pico scope , leave the pico and laptop in the back seat .

good idea .

mwebb  
IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 2:08pm

Pico wireless is a reality but only with embedded software.(wonder if they would sue me if I did it and sold it to the mass`s?)...hint???? Might be able to come up with a contraption to git-r-done...but the embedded deal is the way to go. WISH pico would be open to the possibility. I understand they have a great scope kit, but it is lacking in certain features, wireless being just one, sharing info on the setup being #1 drawback. I requested info from them--paid for the call and all, to hear nothing but lip service. So I move on..

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 3:33pm

The might not be as willing to release info after the Ease scope deal,  cant blame them if that is the case

Sam

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 3:50am

What happened with that deal? To me , a wireless setup is the next step in evolution for this device, the comm cable is a pita..but it wont stop there, then I`ll be wanting a superimposed view(without doing a bunch of fancy keys clicks) Grin Then take a cylinder out of the firing order and dial in on it...waaa...asking to much?  Cool

Dave

IP Logged

jarvissamuel
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Denver Colorado, Colorado, USA
Denver Colorado
Colorado
USA

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 6:57am

As I understand it,  Ease wrote software for the 212-3 units and sold them as reboxed Ease scopes, wich are still available,  oddly enough the software was available seperately that would work with 212 units,

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 4:34am

Interesting Sam,
They offer a wireless setup.Only for the scan tool portion as of date. The alternative would be to use a amp and convert to the lan cable, at least one could have some room to operate around the car.
http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/IOGear_GUCE50_USB_Extender.htm
Here is one
Dave
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2007 at 6:17am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 4:16am

Couple of months perhaps we will have a solution, new technology on the way from japan by Belkin # F5U302, (around 200 coco`s)consists of a small footprint antenna(connect to scope) then a usb dongle in the laptop to recieve the packet`s. Not sure about range, but it should be acceptable for most. Working with a Canadian company also, so a solution may be quicker.....did I mention I hate to be tied down..So If you go to pico setups, look at the box I have my scope and accessories installed into with a power supply(not sure if it will work as pico likes to have a separate ground for there scope) EMF may play a role in this adventure also, have found some EXPENSIVE foam padding that will hopefully take care of this potential problem. IC the ground problem from time to time now (tracking it) using the set-up, think I will be able to deal with it.
Need a "pair and a spare" dealing with this stuff, comments or constructive criticism welcome. I have spare parts and info if anyone wants to contribute time to this (voltage supply)
Dave

IP Logged