Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

can not open psd files? (Read 6,901 times)
daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA, Pennsylvania, USA
Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA

can not open psd files?
Apr 24th, 2007 at 1:41pm

I have the Pico demo and installed the regular pico program from the CD but can not open any of the psdata file that I download from the different posts.

When I double click on a psdata file on the desktop the pico program open, then I click on open file and the file is not listed until I click on "all files". Then I get "invalid file format"

I have tried to open the pico program first then open a file and get the same error message.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks,

dave

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: can not open psd files?
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 2:24pm

Hi Dave,

Could be a couple of things.  If you are using PicoScope 5.xx you cannot open psdata files, only psd files.  The psdata files are PicoScope 6.xx  The other issue is trying to open a file created with a newer version of PicoScope than the one you are using.  PicoScope can open files saved with an older version but not always ones saved with a newer version. 

I need to update the demo versions I have on the site  Huh  If this is the issue, you can get the latest ones from the Pico site:

http://www.picotech.com/auto/automotive-software.html

Let me know if this is helpful.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 3:05pm

Thanks for reminding me to update the demos  Wink  I just put up the latest 5.16.2 and 6.0.8 PicoScope demo installers on the site.

Available here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/picokit.htm

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 6:00pm

Hi Tom,

I downloaded Picoscope 6 BETA from your link. The program worked just fine, now the psdata  files open.

I did have a problem (12 problems actually) that Norton spit out and could not repair. It was for mscvr80.dll and msvcp80.dll files that NET Framework could not access.

MS update spit out that there were updates for framework V2.0. I downloaded & installed. Still had the errors. I went to the MS site and there was a framework V3, I believe, and I downloaded & installed, same errors.

I ended up searching my hard drive for the 2 .dll file [I'm running XP pro] and found them in WinSxS folder and copied them into system32 folder. That solved the error problems

Thanks,

dave

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 7:19pm

That's odd, Dave.  Glad you got it sorted out.  Did you disable Norton during the installation of the dot NET and the PicoScope demo?  If not, this can cause all sorts of issues with many program installs.  Normally this goes quite smoothly. 

Let me know when you are ready for your PicoScope  Wink  You can't see the high speed streaming superpowers with the demo.  For that, you need the hardware to experience.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 8:43am

Hi Tom,

I did not diable Norton when I did the installs. I think it's the newer version of Norton or XP. I had similar problems on this laptop with the MS Explorer 7 update and Verizon email.

Funny tho - my old laptop running Win 2000 & an older version of Norton didn't have a problem with Net Framework or Pico 6 install Huh

Ya gotta tease me again with a Pico Grin

I'm still learning all this scope stuff - a pico right now would be like putting a jockey on a jackass. It will make to the finish line, just can't run with the thoroughbreds.

Thanks,

dave

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 9:00am

Dave,

I did some looking into your dot NET install issues and it seems Norton Win Doctor, which I guess is part of Norton Utilities, is the problem:

http://rlaenterprises.net/blog/2006/03/microsoft-net-20-mscvr80dll-and.htm

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67043

Personally, I would never put Norton Utilities on any PC.  I do use Norton Antivirus, and have had issues with that too.  Thinking about moving to something else.  Their technical support us pretty useless.  You are pretty much on your own.  Great concept though.  Sell a product and then charge to support it.  Neat.  So....."If your not part of the solution, there is good money to be made in prolonging the problem."   Grin

No need to be a 'thoroughbred' to run with a Pico.  You would be surprised at how many of our group started out with a Pico as their first real scope.  Why pay more for something less capable?  Sure, basic PC skills are required, but PicoScope is easy to learn.  Especially with our training and support package.  You actually have to know more about scope operation with a less capable scope to be able to work around the limitations.    Wink

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 9:51pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the links.

The Norton antivirus has worked well for me for years, as does their Internet securities. It does seem that with each new release of utilities that I have more issues. Utilities has saved my butt with registry problems that I would never know about. Don’t know about the internal working of Windows to catch many of the problems that happen.

I agree their support does suck Cry

I have had some luck resolving issues thru email tech support.

My biggest limitations right now is me trying to learn and understand scope patterns and what they mean Sad

I was playing with V 6 beta. Is there a way to use cursors?

Thanks,

dave

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 10:31pm

Dave,

Quote:
I was playing with V 6 beta. Is there a way to use cursors?

Just grab the cursors and drag them to where you want them. Then put them back.  There are two voltage cursors for each channel and two time cursors.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged