Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pico 6 and USB (Read 2,137 times)
Sleuth
Ex Member

Pico 6 and USB
Apr 6th, 2007 at 7:45am

I ran into a glitch  when running the pico 6 software. Weird patterns/frozen screens and problems with trace line at higher speeds(streaming mode I assume) Under help on the main screen I found(thanks Tom) that I was running usb 1.1. I bought a D-Link "DUB-C2" 2.0 hi-speed pcmcia card and it works great now. I am using a dell lattitude C-600-1 ghz 257 meg ram  Also have the software loaded on a IBM T-30-1.7ghz-512 ram now( with the same card loaded). Will be checking to see if there will be a noticeable difference between the two. Both these laptops would prompt for a hi-speed device upon opening the program-every time.
Regards,
Dave

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Pico 6 and USB
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 10:00am

Hi Dave,

Good to hear you are getting 'up to speed'   Wink

Normally this kind of post belongs in the private users area but I'm leaving it here because this is good for anyone considering PicoScope to know.

USB 1.1 isn't good enough for the PicoScope 6 high speed streaming capabilities.  We are moving 12 bit samples at a rate of up to 1 million samples per second  Shocked

USB 1.1 just can't handle that.  Still works fine with PicoScope 5 though.  Even PicoScope 6, if you don't push into the very high speed streaming ranges with samples dialed up.

However, to make full use of PicoScope 6 superpowers, USB 2.0 is required.

Your Pentium III Dell is at the bottom of the required specs to run PicoScope 6 too.  Curious if it will be able to handle it now with the USB 2.0 card.

The 'This device can perform faster...' pop up when plugging in the scope will appear even if you are using a USB 2.0 port.  This message can be ignored.  

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged