Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

ford code P0401 (Read 16,237 times)
vbrun
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ford code P0401
Nov 18th, 2004 at 6:06pm

have a 96 ford contour with a 2.4l v6...took it in to get a e-check...they told me it would not pass cause of the check engine light was on.....i had them connect it to there computer and they pull code P0401... they said it was something with the egr valve...if anyone can help... it would be greatly appreciated....  thanks victor

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: ford code P0401
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 8:31am

Hi Victor,

I show a 2.5L motor for that application.  The code means insufficient Exhaust Gas Recirculation. 

The system is composed of an EGR valve, computer controlled EGR vacuum regulator, which operates the valve, and a DPFE sensor that detects exhaust gas flow through the valve to feedback information to the computer.  So...this is a closed loop control system, meaning that the computer controls the device and receives response information back.

The failure could be in many areas.  Hoses, plugged ports, defective sensor or control device, etc.  Unless you are a pro, probably all you can do is make sure all the hoses are plugged in and routed correctly.  There should be a diagram under the hood.

Here are a couple of links:

This one will help you find a qualified professional to take care of this.  This would be the most cost effective option.  Shops on this engine are members of the International Automotive Technicians Network: 

http://www.iatn.net/dir/search.asp

If you still want to tackle this yourself, you need information.  You can get access to systems information on line.  While this may not help you to diagnose the issue, it will give you an appreciation for the complexities of your ride and serve to illustrate the value of a pro in this situation.  Here is a link to ALLDATA DIY Online: 

http://www.alldata.com/vehicle_owner 

Hope this helps  Smiley

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Doug S.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Everett, Washington, USA
Everett
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2004 at 9:48pm

Hi Victor, Tom;
I know it has been a while since I have posted but if I could weigh in on this one I think I might be able to assist you a little.  If this Contour has fairly high mileage, the most likely cause is plugged EGR ports.  These are located behind the throttle body and it really doesn't take much to get them plugged (when you see them you will understand that last statement).  Fortunately, they are not too difficult to unclog either!  However, removal of the air intake tube and throttle body is neccessary to complete this task.  The quickest test is to either use a hand vacuum pump or a vacuum line connected to a manifold vacuum port and open the EGR valve wide open at idle.  If it is still a smooth idle or very mildly rough, the passages are likely plugged.  If you have access to a scan tool (or know someone else who has one) to check the voltage value of the DPFE sensor, the aluminum ones usually hang between 0.6 and 0.7 volts.  If the aluminum one has been replaced by a plastic one, they usually hang around 1.0 volt.  If it is well under those stated limits and the voltage doesn't change when the EGR valve is open (still with the aluminum DPFE sensor), AND the engine runs pretty rough, most likely the DPFE is at fault.  The DPFE is not real easy to get at, but if it is the cause of this P0401 make sure the engine is cold if you are replacing this.   Smiley  Take care and good luck!
                                Ziggee! Grin                    

IP Logged

vbrun
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2004 at 4:07pm

thanks ziggee Smiley that was the problem...it was cloged big time, was able to reset the ecm...no more light seem's to run better too.....thank you tom also.......this is my girlfriends sons car, that's why it took so long to reply....now there's another problem!!!!!when i took it for a long drive the overdrive off light started to blick and it seem to shift hard when this happens...the light will go off once you stop and turn off the ignition...they told me this is been going on for awhile....if anyone could help again would be great.....the haynes book doesn't tell you anything..... thank you victor...... Smiley

IP Logged

JoeBrown66Stang
Freshman Member

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 5:48am

Victor,

Hard to say without a code, but I would guess that you have a problem with the trans range sensor, which is pretty typical on these vehicles.  P0708? I think....  Take it to a local parts store that offers a 'free' code scan and see what the current code is.  Then we will know more and be better able to help you.

IP Logged

Alistair
Freshman Member

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 11:49am

Thanks ziggee for the solution, exact same problem here, car is 10 years 65k miles, wow the buildup was terrible. Love saving $$$ doing this stuff myself!

IP Logged