Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

What are these fuel injection waveforms telling me (Read 11,212 times)
smyrna5
Freshman Member

What are these fuel injection waveforms telling me
Sep 26th, 2008 at 5:06am

Hi. New to the forum and to using a scope to diagnose problems. I only have an OTC/CJMAX Palm Scope (with Pico envy) so far and grabbed these scans with it. The vehicle is a 1993 (OBDI) GMC Van with Central Port injection(CPI). It starts and runs, but stumbles and often dies as you try to accelerate. I have checked and/or replaced the usual cast of characters to no avail. New fuel pump, ignition module, MAAP sensor, TPS, no vacuum leaks, new cap and rotor, new fuel filter, good fuel pressure. After it stalls, it can only be started again by squirting some gas into the intake. Then, it will run until the gas burns out of the intake. If I let it cool down for 30 minutes, it will start normally again.

I hooked up the scope to the fuel injection port on the computer and got the following pictures. The first shows it idling and running well, with the characteristic central port waveform.

After holding the throttle open to about 2000 rpms I get the following set of pictures, as it first stumbles, then eventually dies.

I am brand new to this scope diagnosis, so be gentle. I suspect that either the wiring harness to the injector body is bad, or the injector unit is failing. I suppose it could also be the computer failing, but I sort of doubt that. I am going to remove the upper plenum to gain access to the CPI, but wondered if anyone sees a clue in the scope pictures?

Thanks. I introduced myself in the Introductions section, but I am not a mechanic or technician. I am an engineer by training. I look forward to learning from you guys.

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Re: What are these fuel injection waveforms telling me
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 5:55am

Hi

My first observation would be that your trigger needs lifting to a higher voltage like 6
volts  on the rising edge then we can see  how the supply voltage behaves

Mick

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

smyrna5
Freshman Member

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:30am

Thanks Mick. I will do it and post the results. This whole scope thing is new to me, so I am trying to learn the techniques. I think I also need to expand the trace in the area where the injector actually opens (where it drops to zero and the pintle opening bump occurs) so we can see what is going on there.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 7:39am

Smyrna,

I suspect a bad connection between your test point and the injector supply.

You can check circuit behavior by sampling current with voltage.

The example in this thread may be helpful:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1169571327

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

DM
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 9:25am

I have seen a few of those injector(tbi) fail and look good on the scope, but I`m like yourself..well worse--scope illiterate. I just finished up a 95 transport with an intermittent stall..looked like an injector fault but it turned out to be the dist signal itself. Could not see it on the scope though.

Regards,
Dave

IP Logged

smyrna5
Freshman Member

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2008 at 10:03am

Thanks guys. I suspect Tom is right about the wiring. These 4.3L CPI engines are notorious for wiring faults in the wire going to the injector body, since it resides in a fairly hostile environment under the plenum. I have to get myself a current clamp, since right now all I have is a couple of clip-on voltage probes. I am also half way finished taking the upper plenum off, so I will go ahead and do that this weekend to inspect the wiring to the injector. I will let you know what I find.

I probably will try to take a better look at the ignition signals as well, since the vehicle is high mileage and the condition of the position sensor below the distributor is unknown.

IP Logged

smyrna5
Freshman Member

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 12:02pm

I just wanted to close the loop on this one. I finally got a chance to remove my upper plenum, and take a look at the connector and wires. The connector was coated with oil and the connector prongs were too. I also noticed that that the connector had some plastic broken off. I cleaned it all up and put it back together, and ordered a new connector. It seems to run just fine now.

IP Logged