Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Chrysler CMP/CKP (Read 12,013 times)
John Thompson

Chrysler CMP/CKP
Feb 24th, 2004 at 8:11am

I am having trouble finding a "good" reference for a 95 Dodge Intrepid 3.5 CMP/CKP signal. Am I 1 tooth off here? Can anyone help? Unfortunately cruise ctrl bulb evidently burned out.( It will supposedly flash when cmp/ckp signal off on this engine) Low vacuum (13" at idle) causing map to tell PCM dump extreme amount of fuel, Cherry Red Cat. OK, restricted Cat or CMP/CKP sync off ?, as Shakespeare said, "that is the question". Have the car for a few days, Anybody got a "good" wave? Thanks,
                       Misfire

John Thompson&&Thompson Automotive Labs&&www.ThompsonAutomotiveLabs.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Chrysler CMP/CKP
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 8:56am

Hi Misfire,

Your capture is out of sync.  The PCM usually has no clue when the CMP/CKP relationship is out of sync.  No flashing bulb or scan data parameter is reliable.  You have approached this in the only way to confirm this reliably...with a scope.  (other than dissasembly)

Here is a one second capture of 12 engine revolutions of this relationship:

Now let's zoom in x5 and overlay them:

As you can see, this one is different than your relationship.  Who knows how far off the other cam is, but that one is certainly off.   Shocked

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2004 at 11:41am

Misfire,

I had one that was off by 1 tooth and it looks the same as yours. The RH sprocket was off by nine teeth. Be nice if they would put a CMP sensor in that bank to.  Undecided

Carl

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 9:29am

Pulled the timing covers off today and sure enough belt had jumped 1 tooth bank 2 cam sprocket. Hard to believe 1 tooth would make it run as poorly as it did. Belt has a chunk out of it, just repositioned it for now and started engine to assess how it would run. The customer want's to repair this 225k car despite my telling him I have no earthly idea what made the belt jump. We replaced the water pump idler, tensioner and belt 1 1/2 years ago and all except the belt are fine now. Checked for a cracked flex plate which is a common problem on these engines but this one looks ok. Makes me nervous but I guess I'll put a new belt on and drive it. Only thing I can think of was one heck of a backfire. Anybody seen anything similiar? 
     Thanks all, oh by the way before I pulled it down this am when I pulled it in the cruise light was flashing so I guess the other reports I have seen are true about the cruise light flashing when ckp/cmp sync are out.

John Thompson&&Thompson Automotive Labs&&www.ThompsonAutomotiveLabs.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged