Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

New to PICO SCOPE (Read 4,992 times)
RossUK
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New to PICO SCOPE
Feb 18th, 2004 at 1:39pm

???
Hi all, New to scopes and PICO! but have a few questions 1st one being how do I post pictures of scope patterns I wish to ask questions about, as I have one of my 1st taken with KV probe/adaptor, but does not look right and just wondering if its my settings etc?
2nd one is, When using 2 channels on the same setting ie. 2 injector currents etc, how can I split them so one is obove the other, Ie can I move the 0 reference on cha A further up the screen?
Thanks in advance for any advice, much appreciated!

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: New to PICO SCOPE
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 3:43pm

Hi Ross,

Thanks for stopping by.  

Once you have an image prepared, you can send it to me and I can host it on my server or you can upload it to your own personal web space (you probably have some that came with your ISP account).  Then it is simply a matter of typing the URL location of the image in the message window, highlight and push the 'Insert Image' button.  This makes the URL appear between two img bracket sets.  That posts the image here.  800x600 works best.

For best secondary results, be sure to turn samples all the way up to 32,000.

To move the waveforms on the PicoScope screen simply use the vertical multiplier at x1.  This makes the vertical scroll bars appear on the sides.  Like this:

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

RossUK
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 5:09am

Thanks Tom

In reply I have some further questions if you dont mind. Hope this does not seem a dumb question, but when sampling secondary I dont seem to get to see coil osscilations etc, I believe after reading other posts this is becuase I am on the plug lead not coil (is this right?) The other thing is that if I was to go to coil lead how can I trigger so that I can monitor individual cylinders either together or individualy. I have never used the ext trigger on scope, I just seem to use the software trigger, if you have time could you please explain what uses I can put this to and what other probes etc I might need? Thank you all

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 9:00am

Hi Ross,

My definition of a dumb question is a question you already know the answer to.  Only instructors ask dumb questions  Grin

The residual energy oscillations that occur after the spark would only be present on the coil wire.  After the spark is done, there is no activity on the plug wire since you are after the rotor gap.  This would be true of activity before the spark as well. 

To sync your secondary capture so you can identify cylinder specific activity, here are a couple of options.

1.  Use the coil wire and the other secondary pickup using the other channel on a plug wire and trigger from that counting over in the firing order.  You can also use an inductive clamp like an RPM 80 that comes with your DVOM for RPM measurements.  It might look something like this:

The top one is the inductive trace from #1 (vertically expanded x5)  The disadvantage if this method is that you divide your sample rate in half because you are using both channels.

2.   Use the inductive clamp on the external trigger.  This way you can devote all your samle rate to one channel while still syncing to a plug firing event.  The external trigger is a fixed positive trigger.  You cannot adjust it.  Therefore the capacituve secondary pickup won't work here because it has a negative going output.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged