Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Stone Age (Read 20,611 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Stone Age
Jan 31st, 2004 at 9:29am

Well, I seem to be having a hard drive failure on my main computer that I do all my work with.   Undecided

I am backing up files and transferring operations to my old computer which is made of wood.  So....I will be somewhat crippled as I try to work with my wood and stone tools.   Tongue

Apologies for the any delays or inconvenience as I struggle to restore and get things back up to speed.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Re: Stone Age
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 9:23am

Hi Tom,

Have you solved your problem with your main computer?

Carl

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 10:34am

Hey, Carl.

Well, yes and no.  Apparently the Toshiba 6100 Satellite Pro series has a problem with the board connections.  This causes all kinds of problems.  Sounds like a GM ECM huh?  Acts like one too  Angry  When I called the service center, they were so familiar with the problem that they ordered up the upgraded boards and I take it up there tomorrow to get them installed.  Then I have to put all the changed files back to start using it again.

Luckily it's still under warranty or it would be a $500 fix.

OUCH!  I just got another splinter in my finger.   Shocked

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 8:31pm

Well, so far so good.  I'm still reconfiguring and moving data back, but seems to be fixed now  Grin

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Doug S.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Everett, Washington, USA
Everett
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 8:27am

Tom,
Aren't computers just the neatest things to have around?  I am very glad you were able to get your pc back up and running again! Smiley
                                                                   Ziggee

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 4:40pm

Well, here we go again.  I am effectively out of commission, as this Toshiba bit the dust again  Angry

This time I doubt anything I have left on that PC will be recoverable.  I have much critical stuff backed up but am still assessing the damage. 

So, back to the stone age for a while.  All projects are on hold until all the dust settles.   Undecided

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Rich Barton
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Pico_Power

Iowa, Iowa, USA
Iowa
Iowa
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 5:45pm

Hi Tom how is your computer going it is scary that we are lost with out them. Well keep in touch when you get going again.

Rich Barton
C.R.B. Diagnostic's

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 7:23pm

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your concern.  I am getting things reloaded and configured.  The hard drive was a total loss.  I had things backed up in various places so didn't lose too much. 

This Toshiba has all new guts in it now.  Luckily, Toshiba stepped up and extended the warranty for this incident.  I must commend them for that.  Nevertheless, I can never trust this machine again and got a backup solution that will regularly back up everything.  I don't expect it to last but another six months before it happens again.

In the meantime, I will be looking at other brand computers.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 2:10pm

Hmmm, I miscalculated.  The Toshiba repair lasted only two weeks.  It had it's first symptom last night and today it is a paperweight  Embarrassed

Perhaps some of you have wondered where I have been.  Well I have been reloading and configuring applications and then just beginning to get back up to speed, working on my presentation for the iATN convention next month and then planning that long awaited Flash movie on Pico Save On Trigger.  Now everything is in the toilet again.  Everything is backed up but with the Toshiba down again all projects are on hold ..... again.

I have ordered a new high end IBM R51 series.  I'll let them try to repair the Toshiba again but I'm writing it off as a total loss.  The IBM is a couple weeks away so I will be hobbling on crutches for a but longer. 

You guys are doing a great job here on the forums and again, my apologies for my lack of attention to the usual things.  This Toshiba problem has been a real nightmare. Cry

I'll keep you posted.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Rich Barton
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Pico_Power

Iowa, Iowa, USA
Iowa
Iowa
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 7:14pm

Hi Tom it's ok when you get up a runing we will be ready  I really like the little movies. Sounds like you need a vacation ya right better go.

Rich Barton
C.R.B. Diagnostic's

IP Logged

John Thompson

Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 5:44am

Tom,
     Try this Toshiba Therapy. No guarantee, but it might make you feel better anyway Wink

John Thompson&&Thompson Automotive Labs&&www.ThompsonAutomotiveLabs.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 10:10pm

Well, the Toshiba went to the doctor today and got all new guts, just like it did two weeks ago.  The hard drive also only lasted two weeks along with the system and power boards. 

I have never had such a bad experience with any PC.  The only conclusion from all this is that the quality of the internals is very poor.

I just completed a complete system restore from my backup drive and aside from a few software quirks to be ironed out, it seems to be up and running for now.  Hopefully it will last long enough for my IBM to arrive  ???

That will take a week to configure.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 3:02pm

Just a little update.  The following is my letter to Toshiba headquarters about my experience.  I'll keep you posted as this continues to evolve. 

Toshiba America
Information Systems
9740 Irvine Blvd
Irvine, CA  92618
September 1, 2004

Dear Sir or Madam:

I have contacts worldwide and have never even heard of a computer as bad as this Toshiba 6100 Satellite Pro (serial # Z2120013P), which I purchased a little over a year ago.  During that time, it has had three catastrophic hardware failures, which have diverted much of my attention away from my business.  The last two events were two weeks apart.  Now it appears to be having another failure merely two weeks after the last visit to the service center. 

I have a presentation to do in front of an international audience at the end of this month and do not have a reliable computer to use.  I don’t think, after all these attempts, that this Toshiba laptop will ever be a reliable machine.  I really got a lemon here.

I really appreciated the fact that Toshiba stepped up and covered the last two failures, even though they were slightly out of the warranty period.  Nevertheless, it makes no practical difference if the machine cannot be repaired well enough to be somewhat reliable.

My group of customers and contacts, which number thousands on five continents, have been aware of my difficulty, as it has disrupted service.  I’m hanging in there, but I don’t think a more effective effort to put me out of business could have been executed, had it been planned.  Of course, all of this is very poor PR for Toshiba as well.  This Toshiba needs to be replaced with a reliable computer for me to continue my business.

Is there anything you can do to help reclaim both of our reputations for reliable service?

Sincerely,
Tom Roberts

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Dan_Mullin
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 8:17pm

Hi Tom                                                                      

while I appreciate your concern for toshiba's welfare, I have already told 10 of my friends about your problem

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 6:50am

Hi Dan,

"It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others"

Tongue

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2