Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Starting the pico journey in Norway (Read 2,925 times)
Geir Tore Simonsen
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Lier, Norway
Lier
Norway

Starting the pico journey in Norway
Apr 12th, 2015 at 4:31pm

Hi, new nerd from Norway here Smiley

I'm not a professional technician and don't intend to work on other cars than my own and maybe friends/family in the foreseeable future, but I'm quite dedicated to being self sufficient when it comes to maintaining and repairing my own vehicles.

As a teenager I used to work at the shop where my father was manager during my school vacations. They were mostly rebuilding 50-60 litre V12 MTU diesel engines, but also did some machining on random things that came through the door. Of course I had to do a lot of mundane tasks there like washing parts and cleaning the floor, but I also got to do interesting stuff. Like grinding valves and seats, resurfacing cylinder heads, using liquid nitrogen and a hydraulic press to install new valve guides, using reamers to bring the new guides to spec, rebuild and adjust injectors etc. I also used the lathe and mill, although mostly to make special tools as needed. I learned a lot there, but I don't think I realized at the time how lucky I was.

As an adult I went to university and got a "sivilingeniør" degree (roughly equivalent to a MSc.) in mechanical engineering (HVAC), and for the last 17 years I have been designing HVAC and lately also sprinkler systems in buildings. Unfortunately, during most of that time I have been living in an apartment with nowhere to perform repairs myself, except for really basic stuff.

When we were looking for a house two years ago it was a requirement for me that it had a garage with enough ceiling height to install and utilize at least a portable 2-post lift. We had to search for a while, but now I have a nice house with a small garage which is gradually turning into a quite usable home workshop. My current project is rebuilding the 722.6 automatic transmission of my 2005 E320 CDI 4matic after a thrust bearing failure.

Given my background I think I have a good grasp on the mechanical and fluid dynamics side of things, but I've never been much into electronics. Up until 1-2 months ago I was under the impression that anything that was wrong with a car could be diagnosed by watching codes and recording live data from a good scan tool. Then I stumbled over some Scanner Danner videos on Youtube, and realized in certain situations there's nothing that can replace a scope. I've bought his ebook and plan on watching all his movies as time allows, as well as the content here of course. After doing some research on which scope to get, I ended up ordering a standard quad kit from Autonerdz a couple of days ago.

Geir Tore

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Re: Starting the pico journey in Norway
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 5:26pm

Good for you Geir, I hope you enjoy this tool.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Spence
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Jeffersonville, Pennsylvania, USA
Jeffersonville
Pennsylvania
USA

Re: Starting the pico journey in Norway
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 5:35pm

Welcome to the group Geir