Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

New member. What is up my fellow enthusiasts?! (Read 3,159 times)
Vash
Freshman Member

Using waste to make haste.

San Diego, California., California, USA
San Diego, California.
California
USA

New member. What is up my fellow enthusiasts?!
Dec 11th, 2014 at 11:07pm

I recently found out about this site/forum from a good friend of mine... I recently got into the automotive field (2 years ago) and realized early on in my career that it needed some significant change.
     I got hooked on speed as a young child. Grew up riding dirt bikes and really enjoyed wrenching on them until I was about 15 and got bored... I slowly graduated from bikes to cars, specifically circuit track cars. In high school I attended and participated in a few speed trials and from then on out it has been downhill for me  Roll Eyes. I was blessed enough to have a father that was a very successful automotive technician to guide me in my journey. He showed me the ropes and I really got into engine building and balancing. At about 18 I knew what I wanted to do, I loved racing and I loved building the cars even more. My passion really lies with Saabs, so naturally those were the first few cars I built. The latest was a 450hp 500lb/ft Saab 9-3 Viggen. It had some serious problems that NO ONE could figure out. It took me months to figure out what was wrong with it, which ended up being my doing. But the point being is that I had to learn to use a scope to determine what was wrong. That is really why I am here...

This field is full of "parts changers." I want to be different and learn to come to an accurate diagnostic on whatever I am working on.
I love to learn, especially about electronics. It fascinates me and is a never ending learning process.
I currently use a Snap On Verus for most of the scope work I do. But I would love to get a Picoscope. I recently had to opportunity to use one of my friends Pico's to diagnose a jumped timing belt With the in cylinder pressure transducer and an ignition timing event, compared to known good cam and crank signals it was clear what had happened!

I am here to learn, I am here to see what other people with the same interests and goals are doing. I want to sharpen my skills and knowledge of the tools and technology out there. I know for a fact that it will aid in my racing and car building, as well as day to day repair and problem solving.

Thank you all for allowing me to join! Looking forward to learning a lot! Cool.

IP Logged

HarleyMike
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Dinwiddie County, Virginia, USA
Dinwiddie County
Virginia
USA

Re: New member. What is up my fellow enthusiasts?!
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 3:11am

Welcome aboard Vash, I was heavy into drag racing years back, absolutely loved it, but now I enjoy just going to the track and watching every one else lay out the $$$$
Anyways get hooked up with Shopstream (it's free) so you can post Verus captures here. Also you can get pico software (it's also free) and look at any psdata  files we post.

~DatSoon Tech.~    Carter's Diagnostics on YouTube

IP Logged

HarleyMike
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Dinwiddie County, Virginia, USA
Dinwiddie County
Virginia
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 3:16am

~DatSoon Tech.~    Carter's Diagnostics on YouTube

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 8:42am

Welcome, Vash. 

Sounds like you are the kind of guy that will make good use of this resource and we look forward to your contributions.   Wink

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Vash
Freshman Member

Using waste to make haste.

San Diego, California., California, USA
San Diego, California.
California
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 12:20am

Thanks, HarleyMike! I am downloading it as I type Smiley.

I love most forms of racing. Drag. Circuit/time attack. Off road. You name it I most likely have some sort of interest in it haha. Drag is awesome but like you said, big bucks involved.

Thanks, Tom! Not sure how much of a contribution I will be, but I know I will be learning a lot, at the very least!  Cool.

IP Logged