Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

I need a used car, but I'm afraid of making repair (Read 8,097 times)
krb86
Freshman Member

I need a used car, but I'm afraid of making repair
Dec 22nd, 2011 at 3:07am

Hi,

I'm currently looking at Geos, because they get exceptionally good gas mileage, but these are old model cars, some as old as 1989 (I think the earliest is a 1997), and I'm pretty sure that these cars are going to need some kind of repair, perhaps sooner, perhaps later, which is why I'm reluctant to buy. Does anyone have any advice?

IP Logged

drdiesel1
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Nevada USA, Nevada, USA
Nevada USA
Nevada
USA

Re: I need a used car, but I'm afraid of making repair
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 3:13am

Whatever you buy, make sure it's 1996 and newer.
Honda would be my first choice.  I have a 99 Civic with 96K and it runs like a watch. I average 35MPG City/Highway and it's an economical car to own.
Toyota's are OK, but Honda gets the nod for least expensive and most reliable, at a fair price.

Where are you located ?

IP Logged

krb86
Freshman Member

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 6:34am

Alabama, unfortunately, we don't have regular inspections, so private owners can really take advantage of you if you don't have a lot of experience with cars. Unfortunately, I don't.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 9:08am

I would also suggest an older Honda.  I have a 1991 Civic DX that holds a lot of stuff and gets 38 MPG.

The GEO can be OK but parts are getting scarce.

Whatever you do....take it to a trusted local shop for an inspection.  If the seller won't allow this then there may be a reason.....

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 4:33pm

I have a friend with an early nineties Honda with over three hundred thousand on the odometer.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Jim Davis
Picogroup

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2011 at 6:19pm

First I want to say welcome!

I don't want to be the guy with the bad news but... it doesn't matter; New, Used, good mileage, or not, it will break and need repair.  Cry

Broken is the NORMAL state of all machines.
That is why we can do maintenance and repair for a living.

So don't be afraid of making repair.

Deal with reputable people when buying or fixing your car.

The guys posting here spend a lot of time and money just to figure out exactly what part is broken so that they can find and fix the part that is broken.

Just the other day a coworker told me about a guy that would say "Just put all new parts on it and if that doesn't fix it start over, one of the new parts is probably bad" Smiley
He doesn't work there anymore.

Good Luck and have Fun with your new car Smiley

IP Logged

top4
Picogroup

Ellwood city pa, Tennessee, USA
Ellwood city pa
Tennessee
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 23rd, 2011 at 10:24am

An older honda is a good idia in the past year I had to junk my 96 accord and my girlfriends 94 accord becous of rust (darn PA. winters)both had more than 250K on them and ran great On the bad side 02 and up accords 4 cul. are chain drive (crank and cam) if oil changes are not done chain can stretch and be a prob. and we have a few tranny problems over the years but it is still a good carIMO

IP Logged

Red
Freshman Member

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2012 at 1:26pm

krb, are you looking at those cars because you need "cheap cheap" ?

The post-1996 cars will have an onboard diagnostic port which can make repairs easier. Sometimes. But once you reach a certain price point, cheap used cars become expensive unless you have great luck, or a great mechanic to check them out for you.

Nooze stories year after year say that something like 90% of the private used-car sales are bogus, shady dealers pretending it is their cousin's car and hiding known problems, etc. Dealers may or may not be any better, only because you can get a written warranty and a reputable business to back it up. But they're not going to warranty a $1500 use car either.

So if you're still looking, the question is what you're looking for and what you're willing to pay for it.

IP Logged