Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

4 COP Extension Leads (Read 6,579 times)
sneaky pete
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
Canada

4 COP Extension Leads
May 3rd, 2011 at 11:37pm

i'm looking to buy the picoscope from autonerdz. i'm debating between the 4000 kit and the deluxe kit. my question is what is the use of the  4 COP Extension Leads? if i buy the cop probe is there a need for these leads??? and if there are, should i be buying an extra set to have 8 total?

IP Logged

drdiesel1
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Nevada USA, Nevada, USA
Nevada USA
Nevada
USA

Re: 4 COP Extension Leads
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2011 at 2:52am

sneaky pete wrote on May 3rd, 2011 at 11:37pm:
i'm looking to buy the picoscope from autonerdz. i'm debating between the 4000 kit and the deluxe kit. my question is what is the use of the  4 COP Extension Leads? if i buy the cop probe is there a need for these leads??? and if there are, should i be buying an extra set to have 8 total?

Coil On Plug Extension leads

Coil-on-Plug extension leads are the simple accessory that allow you to take accurate secondary ignition measurements on Coil-on-Plug ignition systems.

Coil-on-Plug extension leads are designed to aid diagnostics on secondary ignition circuits by allowing an HT measurement to be made when there are no, or limited access, to any spark plug leads.

The 4 COP extension leads are ideal for use with cartridge coil-packs.

IP Logged

Dr. Jake
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Deceased

Laurens SC (Jerkwater), South Carolina, USA
Laurens SC (Jerkwater)
South Carolina
USA

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2011 at 3:49am

10-4  get the 2300 dollar kit. Then add to it as ya can. The wps should be next.

Drjake907  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2011 at 9:01am

Pete,

The COP wand does not work on all applications. Even when it does, the KV will not be accurate since that is a function of the probes proximity to the field and the strength of the field.  It still provides good spark line info though.  However, some coils are more shielded than others or have windings which are down the tube and you can't pick it up with the probe.

Also those with internal primary do not allow any access to primary voltage for spark line information.  

At this point, the only way to get spark line info is to remove the COP and place a plug lead on it and then use the capacitive probe on the jumper.  While any wire will do, the Pico ones have a long stiff portion that goes down the plug well and makes installation and removal easy.

Four is a good number since you have four channels.  Besides, you probably already have an idea which cylinder is of interest.  You could use the mixmaster with more than four but the setup time to remove all the coils and put that all together may not be the most efficient use of that time.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

sneaky pete
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
Canada

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2011 at 9:35pm

thanks for the replies. makes more sense now. so if i get the mix master, should i buy an extra set of secondary leads. i see you get 4 with it or can i use the ones with the pico kit as well?

sorry for my ignorance. scoping is very new to me. when i buy, i just want to make sure i get everything i will need.

IP Logged

drdiesel1
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Nevada USA, Nevada, USA
Nevada USA
Nevada
USA

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2011 at 10:24pm

sneaky pete wrote on May 4th, 2011 at 9:35pm:
thanks for the replies. makes more sense now. so if i get the mix master, should i buy an extra set of secondary leads. i see you get 4 with it or can i use the ones with the pico kit as well?

sorry for my ignorance. scoping is very new to me. when i buy, i just want to make sure i get everything i will need.

Call and talk to Tom @ 1-877-628-4899 8AM to 5PM Pacific   Smiley

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2011 at 10:08am

Quote:
i see you get 4 with it or can i use the ones with the pico kit as well?

You can use the ones that come in the kit with the Mixmaster for a total of eight.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged