Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Hello from Devon, UK (Read 5,800 times)
Jaguar Paul
Freshman Member

Hello from Devon, UK
Aug 1st, 2010 at 12:18pm

Hi everyone!

My names Paul and i'm 30. I started in the motor trade as an apprentice in 1997 working for Peugeot. Since then I have worked for Renault, Ford and currently I work for Jaguar.

I've been out of the motortrade for 4 years and only got back into it 3 months ago.

I'm extremely keen to learn new diagnostic skills. The amount of info on the internet these days is mindblowing and the level of complexity of the electrical systems on Jaguars seems very sophisticated compared with the other manufacturers I've worked for.

Unfortunately the diagnostic equipment that Jaguar use seems very dated. The serial tool is OK and unbelievably the scope/DMM costs more than twice the amount of a Advanced Picoscope Kit. I believe its technology is over 10 years old and its seriously underpowered and struggles to provide much needed detail when used on modern electrical systems.

I think it would probably be like comparing a 50 bhp engine to a 1200 bhp engine put next to a Picoscope.

Since I started at Jaguar I have been searching the net for the latest tools/equipment and that is when I discovered Picoscope.

I have been reading info and watching videos trying to educate myself wishing I had the money to invest in a Picoscope.

About two and a half months into my employment I was chatting with one of the other technicians at my work. He is a Volvo technician. He told me that we have a Picoscope as it is part of Volvo's mandatory equipment.

Its an ADC 212, I found the box, two current probes, 2 attenuators, and a few leads.

The parallel lead was missing, but I downloaded the latest software and had a look and I'm absolutely blown away by the power of this tool.

I especially like the look of the pressure transducer and the mixmaster add ons.

I have got a parallel lead and i'm looking forward to starting work next week and getting the opportunity to use it.

There are only 4 technicians including me and i'm sure its going to be a huge timesaver once we figure out how to harness its power.

I would like to get my hands on some add ons and a 4 channel scope but at the moment I need to convince my manager (who used to be a technician but knows hardly anything about scopes) that this it the best thing since sliced bread.

Smiley

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Hello from Devon, UK
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 7:55pm

Welcome, Devon.  Glad you found us   Wink

Your 212 will be excellent pactice.  If you like thst, imagine a scope hundreds of times more powerful.  That would be a 4000 series.  Wink

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 5:53am

Tom Roberts wrote on Aug 1st, 2010 at 7:55pm:
Welcome, Devon.  Glad you found us   Wink

Your 212 will be excellent pactice.  If you like thst, imagine a scope hundreds of times more powerful.  That would be a 4000 series.  Wink

Tom

Devon is an area in South West England that is attached to another beautiful area called Cornwall these regions are known for their fishing villages and Cider.

Paul
Were in Devon are you from?

I have very fond memories of St Ives Cornwall, When I graduated from being an apprentice in 1974 I spent the summer there and went back in 1976 for almost a year. I tell my wife if I ever go back to Great Britain and had enough money to support myself it would be to St Ives. Cry

If you convince your manager to upgrade the Pico 212 I would suggest he imports it from Tom or byes a support package, because getting you up to speed fast and continuing everyday to get the most out of your scope, you will need Toms Pico section; in there you will find videos that will help.
If there is a problem of any kind I have found it will be addressed very quickly here.

Good look to you 

Mick

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Jaguar Paul
Freshman Member

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 2:08pm

Hi guys!

I live in Plymouth which is absolutely lovely compared to Birmingham, UK where I am from.

I am tempted by the deluxe kit from Autonerdz, the backup and support is extremely appealing.... I need to show our management how much time a Picoscope can save the technicians in diagnosing faults.

I have discovered Jaguars faults tend to come in twos and threes.  Shocked

How much does it cost to gain access to the areas, can it be paid monthly, like a subscription?

I tried the parallel lead today on the latest version of Picoscope.

Is it normal to have a fluctuating voltage with nothing plugged into the BNC ports?

Also when I load Pico Diagnostics there is a message in the bottom left hand corner of the screen that says "No Picoscope found"... or something along those lines, I cannot remember exact wording.

Does this mean the ADC212 is too old for the software?

Many thanks,

Paul

IP Logged

daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA, Pennsylvania, USA
Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 7:44am

Hello Paul,

Welcome.

I tried my 212/3 Pico with the latest software, version 6.4.64, and I was able to connect and the software recognized the hardware. I tried 2 ways, first starting by plugging in the hardware and then starting the software and starting the software first, choosing "no" for a demo, and then under file I clicked "connect".

Did you have the power supply connected to the hardware? You need either the power pack or the lead with battery clips to use vehicle battery.

I read too fast  Embarrassed  Embarrassed
I did not try Pico Diagnostics. So I can't give you an answer on that.

HTH

dave
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:19am by daveyK »  

IP Logged

Brian Haley
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Olympia, WA, Washington, USA
Olympia, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 10:34am

Welcome to the forums Paul,

You may see the voltage fluctuating when the scope is not grounded, especially if you have a small voltage range selected.
Pico Diagnostics is only compatible with the 3000 and 4000 series automotive scopes.

Brian

Brian Haley
Autonerdz.com

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 11:47am

Paul,

I'll welcome you to the forums also. We have some spectacular members here that will kindly assist you in any way we can. It's great to see another member from a different country.

I hope you do find a way to obtain a kit from us. You'll be in good hands for support.

Additionally, if you ever have an automotive technical issue, feel free to use the Technical forum. It is there for you and I'm sure one of us can help.

Once you do get a kit from Autonerdz, we'll plug you into the Pico section for so much more information.

Regards,

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Jaguar Paul
Freshman Member

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 2:21pm

Thanks for the welcome! Smiley

How is it best to ground the ADC 212?

I found this in the quick start guide:

1.3.1.6 Safety grounding
Pico Technology hardware products connect direct to the ground of a computer via the interconnecting cable provided. This method minimises interference.
As with most oscilloscopes, care should be taken to avoid connecting the ground input of the product to any source other than ground. If in doubt, use a meter to check that there is no significant AC or DC voltage. Failure to check may cause damage to your computer, or lead to injury to yourself and others.
You should assume that the product does not have a protective safety earth.

I believe we havn't got a lead to ground the unit.

Please can you tell me if it is a necessity and if so how much are they?

I have looked at pictures of the 4000 series and cannot see a ground connection.

Is this a feature unique to the older units?

Cheers,

Paul

IP Logged

daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA, Pennsylvania, USA
Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 6:19pm

Paul,

Quote:
You should assume that the product does not have a protective safety earth.

I believe we havn't got a lead to ground the unit.

From what I remember, the 212/3 uses the serial connector/ USB connection to ground the hardware to the PC and by using the test lead (BNC lead) connected to the vehicle battery ground should stabilize the channels.

Also, the advanced triggers do not work with the 212/3 series.

HTH

dave

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 8:24am

Hi Paul,

Been on vacation...

Quote:
How much does it cost to gain access to the areas, can it be paid monthly, like a subscription?

Access to the Picogroup areas is one part of our total support and training package.  And yes, it is available by annual subscription.

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1237674348

Just a few more notes on the scope ground:

Channels have common grounds.  This is why it important not to attach a channel ground to any voltage potential.  You can create a ground loop to another channel that is on chassis ground and short something out.

The main difference here between the 212 and the USB models is that the 212 has no protection.  If you were to attach one channel ground to B+ and another to B- the full current would go through the common grounds until a ground leg on one of the BNC connectors vaporizes.  The USB scopes have thermal fuse protection to prevent damage in this event.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged