Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Advanced Trigger Question (Read 5,198 times)
Dave Hill
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Leicestershire England, England
Leicestershire England
England

Advanced Trigger Question
Jul 26th, 2009 at 11:43am

I am sure there is a simple answer to this question. I am interested in using the Advanced Trigger function to stabilise a digital square wave Crankshaft sensor signal. With no single voltage peak to trigger off, I clearly need to set Pico to look for the change in frequency (or the Gap  Wink ) that the TDC reference marker generates.

I have messed with the advanced trigger menu, but the answer is eluding me.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Dave

Man who waits for roast duck to fly into open mouth must wait very, very long time.
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Advanced Trigger Question
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 2:18pm

Hi Dave,

We have tutorial movies on every PicoScope feature.  We have a 40 minute tutorial on advanced triggering in the library for Autonerdz Playgroup members.  I guess what I am saying is that the answer is not simple enough to do your question justice on the forums. 

Of course, you can get away from the whole triggering issue by simply placing more time on the screen.  Since you can place insane amounts of time on a screen, triggering just isn't required.  Why trigger when you can capture hundreds of engine cycles on a single screen?

If you would like to subscribe to the Autonerdz PicoScope support and training system, let me know.  We do offer a special subscription discount for our overseas customers because they have a good excuse for not purchasing from Autonerdz in the first place, being so far away with local vendor options.  But many still do...

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1247527159

There are no discounts for US and Canadian customers because they have no excuse   Roll Eyes

Access to all the tutorial movies is just one part of the total package.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Amechs
Freshman Member

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2009 at 3:30am

Wel Dave,
Is this something like you are looking to do.

I'm not sure how I did this except playing around to find the settings that work.

If you click on the advanced trigger button you will be shown the settings I used.

Regards,
Paul Galvin.

Amechs

IP Logged

Dave Hill
Freshman Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Leicestershire England, England
Leicestershire England
England

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 2:02pm

Tom Roberts wrote on Jul 26th, 2009 at 2:18pm:
Hi Dave,

Of course, you can get away from the whole triggering issue by simply placing more time on the screen.  Since you can place insane amounts of time on a screen, triggering just isn't required.  Why trigger when you can capture hundreds of engine cycles on a single screen?

Hi Tom

You make a valid point as usual, & It is something that I push when I am discussing captures with Pico. The mindset is still fixed around the way we used to use Pico & now the automotive pre sets are really starting to look dated I think. They were created a while ago & have not evolved along with the capability of the tool.

Having said that, I still like to look at a nice fast capture, where triggering allows stable & precise analysis.

Whilst I am seriously tempted to join the Nerdz crowd, (as you all have what is becoming known in the UK as "Pico Flue"  Smiley   Shocked ) I think I will cope quite nicely with my own personal development.

Thanks Tom & Paul for the replies

Cheers respectfully,

Dave

Man who waits for roast duck to fly into open mouth must wait very, very long time.
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2009 at 3:16pm

Hi Dave,

Quote:
the automotive pre sets are really starting to look dated I think. They were created a while ago & have not evolved along with the capability of the tool.

You are absolutely right.  While a good source of examples and information, we don't recommend these setups be used in the field.  They were not optimized for the old 212/3 scope much less the new 4000 series.

However, be watching for an updated automotive menu library in a new release coming to you soon.   Wink

Quote:
I think I will cope quite nicely with my own personal development.

I know you will, Dave.   We just offer a unique service.  No one I know of has ever felt they didn't get a great value from it.  It's what we do....

Keep spreading the Pico Flu   Smiley

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged