Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Fatal Hydraulic Lift Accident (Read 15,094 times)
Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Fatal Hydraulic Lift Accident
Dec 27th, 2008 at 9:18am

Hello Techs,

A terrible accident resulting in death happened Friday at a nearby Buick, Pontiac, GMC dealership. A car apparently fell off of a hydraulic lift which took this mechanic’s life.

http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=8150953&version=2&loca...

A few of you know about my experience when lifting a one-ton truck a couple of months ago. That was a very close call for me.

Be careful out there guys.

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California, California, USA
Southern California
California
USA

Re: Fatal Hydraulic Lift Accident
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 2:15pm

Carl, in your case what went wrong...?  What type of lift was it...?

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 1:23pm

Hi Joe,

I appreciate your interest and this is a very important issue to all of us in the trenches.

After speaking with my father about what happened to me, he was shocked. He called me Saturday wondering if I knew anything about the fatality. I said, "yes Pop, I heard about it, but don't have many details on it." He said, "trust me son, I'll follow through on this and find out what happened." You would have to know my father. When he says something like that, he means it. More information will be passed on as it comes in.

Oh yes... the death lift. You know, I've always been really careful when
racking a vehicle, but this happened to be my special day. I'm working with a 10k lift so I figure I'm ok lifting a one ton. Wrong! I almost got
the tires off of the ground when all of a sudden the post came crashing into the rollbar behind the cab. Whew! I'm yelling, "will someone come over and see if my heart is still beating?" The post pulled up a sheet of concrete about 8 feet long by 4 feet wide. The rack was lifting it fine, the floor decided to check out. I'm glad I wasn't under it when that happened. Stupid Mohawk lifts. They should have a cross brace across the top. This one didn't have that. What is even more disturbing is that they intstalled two more Mohawk lifts in another shop without this cross-brace. I tried to explain this simple concept, but it fell on deaf ears. I just don't get it. Why is this simple concept so hard to understand?

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 5:36pm

I think another improvement  would be rubber between the car lift point and the feet or bars we place under them... the steel to steel contact is an accident waiting to happen. It could go up. but not handle being disturbed; in some case.  It doesn't seem to happen so often.  Perhaps it does when complacency has come knockin'.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California, California, USA
Southern California
California
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 12:02pm

Carl,

Hmmm... it pulled up the concrete floor it was anchored to... that's quite disasterous... at least you had the "awareness" to stand clear while lifting; good thing you came out of it safe.

Joe

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 5:40pm

The name of the 47 year old Mechanic has been released. Also his residence was in DeSoto, Mo. which is a substantial distance from his place of employment.

The important thing here is to find out how it happened and what can be done to avoid such a catastrophe in the future.

I've already planned on visiting the former shop I was employed at to give a presentation. Honestly, I can't tell you how well that will be received. After that I'll go to the Behlmann store to see if I can find out anymore information. There again, I'm not sure how well that will be received.

I made this commitent to investigate and report so that if I can help save a fellow techs life, then it was worth it.

Rest in peace Mr. David Hampton.

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

mikem

new england, New Hampshire, USA
new england
New Hampshire
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 5:18pm

You are a good man Carl.  Glad ou are doing something to prevent future problems.  I think too many people take this stuff for granted and awareness is important..

IP Logged