Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

how many channels do we need (Read 4,152 times)
william
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

scotland, United Kingdom
scotland
United Kingdom

how many channels do we need
Dec 31st, 2007 at 11:57am

hi guys a good new year to all. what and if how many channels would you use and need .would a 8 channel scope be of use for daily use or just for those intermittents i am considering building one. larger display say 32 inch displayas to not lose picture size as my glasses are getting more powerful by the year try and run 2 scopes in virtual windows if possible thanks william

william william  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: how many channels do we need
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 1:45pm

Hi William,

Happy New Year to you too  Smiley

You 'need' two channels.  This is essential to do action/reaction, input/output tests.

Four channels can save time in many situations and can reduce the number of captures needed to identify an issue.  Also a 'need' if you do any teaching so you can show students more interactions.

IMHO, if you think you need 8 channels, your diagnostic strategy is probably in need of refinement.  8 channels also clutters up the screen and would likely degrade performance.  Four channels with the incredible detail of Pico would be all that is needed.

PicoScope can only run one scope.  You will not be able to run two four channel scopes at the same time, as the software can only communicate with one at a time.  Even if you wrote your own software to accomplish this, it would not be an 8 channel scope.  It would be two, four channel scopes.  They would not be synchronized and would sample at different times.  This means that channel interrelationships between scopes would not be in the same time frame.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

william
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

scotland, United Kingdom
scotland
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 2:49pm

hi tom good new year to you to as well i realised this about the soft ware i was going to run  2 scopes run each in virtual windows and put the screen under each other . i was actually going to go 12 channels as i realised i need to waste a channel from each scope to sync each scope it was actually not for  diagnostic fault finding strategy as i have a bad  habit of reverse engineering all the ecu input data live not serial as i have made b.0.b,s for all the ecu,s you can think about and i like to capture all the cam crank inj relation ships ie 2 cam sensors 1 crank injectors both banks if a v8 engine lambda,s and so on sad i know regards william

william william  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 3:11pm

My kinda guy   Smiley

Yeah, if you were to sync each scope to the same signal then they would be related captures but still not in the same time frame.  Each sync event would be a different one.  Example:

Scope A triggers on injector firing.  Scope B triggers on the same injector but a different event.  And so on.  The captures from each scope will still be in a different time frame from a different trigger event.  This is how the driver works.  It can only run one scope at a time.  They would take turns.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

william
Freshman Member
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

scotland, United Kingdom
scotland
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 3:57pm

i see what you are getting at i did ask pico if there was an on board trig output that i could use like lab scopes had to trigger each but there is not i was going to go to 16 channels {i am afraid to admit this}as i would have to sacrifice these 4 channels for sync and if the virtual windows did not work i would need 4 pc,s a large screen and a device to combine 4 outpouts from 4 pc,s to a large screen i wanted this to have all channels visible at once and also be able to seeone scope at a different time base or all 4

william william  
IP Logged