Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Hello from Baltimore (Read 4,995 times)
Qwix0r

crap, what did I do now?

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Baltimore
Maryland
USA

Hello from Baltimore
Aug 2nd, 2007 at 6:23pm

Ok , so a little about me ehh?

Im not quite a Master Mechanic , have three tests left + L1 coming this fall.  Cool

Ive been working for the same local repair shop for the past almost 15 years. Up until about a year ago or so the boss was paying a local rover to come in and take care of the computer related diagnostics.

Since then Ive had access to an mt2500 and a vantage, then a vantage pro and a solus ( last 3 months). The vantage pro is impressive compared to the original.

Ive come to realize the importance of waveform diagnostics as a window into the engine compartment, and into the pcm, which is how I found this site. Smiley

i dont have a lot of experiance with scopes, but since we picked up the vp, ive been trying out differant things I read about, differant combinations, current ramping, triggers, etc. Now I just have to learn what all this information is showing me! Im sure I can learn a bit here with out feeling like a groupie  Grin

With all that the pico can do, Im setting my sights on a new purchase, not long after a couple of training cd's

im still trying to figure out how you al manage a dayjob, a significant other, a home, AND posting here  Tongue

Vince

IP Logged

Rich Barton
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Pico_Power

Iowa, Iowa, USA
Iowa
Iowa
USA

Re: Hello from Baltimore
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 7:55pm

Hi Vince:

You made a good choice to hang out here, we all have fun and learn at the same time Smiley

You will find Tom Roberts stuff is top notch Smiley

We are always shoting some strange captures up to play with ,and you are more than welcome to join in to help us figure them out,
or put your owm captures up ,it is all in fun Smiley

Have a good nite Smiley

Rich Barton
C.R.B. Diagnostic's

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 8:10pm

Hi Quix,
        I think we all feel somewhat like a groupie- the older we are the bigger the guilt trip.
                    When I was young  (like twenty to thirty) , or even before that there was no internet; no E-bay to buy used tools that would otherwise be unavailable, no open websites like this one... so, the value of the case studies here is phenomenal compared to 'THE OLD DAYS", and I occasionally think about the fact that it is essentially a free education...I know the free education here is not necessarily a given but the site is not likely to change it's attitude.
    If it grew very large we might find that we could not recognize every name, and it would have to be simplified- like a recipe for cake for 50 people is likely to be simplified from a recipe for 5 people.
           It isn't the reason for the site to start out with; this site's purpose is to sell the PC based scope.
   I will be sorry to see it go, if it ever does but, how can it when it is such a pleasure to be here anyway? Nobody, including the owner, could have any complaints about what is happening for a few fortunate individuals.
I think the best bet is to take honest advantage of it. A fellow will get a chance to pay folks back... maybe we will have to pay it forward (Did you see that film ' Pay it Forward?).
   Welcome to this site. I am no master auto mechanic...

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

Qwix0r

crap, what did I do now?

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Baltimore
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 3:30am

Yeah, I started thinking about that after I posted it, are any of us really master mechanics? There is always something new to learn.... but its a nice designation anyway  Wink

at this moment the shop has 3 employee's and a boss.....I think we pay it forward in at least a couple ways, when we actually repair the nightmare that has been to 3 or 4 differant shops, and earn a steady customer for the boss, or maybe when we have the opportunity to teach our coworkers something that we have learned along the way...

well, off to work, another day... another couple dollars shorter  Cheesy

Vince

IP Logged

john.

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 11:57am

hello mate Smiley

good to have another honest person on board! im no master either i have the urge to learn i may seem silly at times
but im honest
i need this site it make me think
i dont critisize! im a personal trainer in my other  life i help folks get fit im an old boxer fought from 15 to 32 and coached the last 8 years
i have had plenty of mentors! good mentors my new mentors well i would like to think  are on this` site?
this place keeps me in the realworld
its
my  2 bits

utooflyer  
IP Logged

Qwix0r

crap, what did I do now?

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Baltimore
Maryland
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 4:02pm

from what Ive seen they have quite a few mentors on this site Smiley

pretty much that all that it comes down to isnt it, learn and do....

Ive been grabbing all kinds of captures lately, to add to my files.... Im waiting for the day the boss finally says something about me taking so long on all these vehicles..... I think im gonna tell him -> But boss, I can only take 2 pictures at a time!

have fun Smiley

IP Logged

john.

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 6:03pm

i look forward to sharing your experiences Smiley

utooflyer  
IP Logged