Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Autonerdz Web Training Goes Live (Read 14,508 times)
Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Autonerdz Web Training Goes Live
Jul 11th, 2007 at 6:03pm

Linn State Technical College had their annual “Automotive Technology Summer Institute” courses. The attendees present were high school and post secondary automotive instructors from the entire state of Missouri.   

Tom Roberts successfully gave a live DSO sample rate presentation via the internet equipped with a web camera and a two-way voice enabled session for questions and answers. It worked flawlessly. He operated the shop oscilloscope from his office after the instructors hooked up to the different vehicles. This gave them the opportunity to see how powerful an automotive scope can be.

This web-based training could evolve. It has been proven that it works. With enough support, this idea can grow.

Autonerdz offered “The Nerd Series” to one lucky winner from a drawing. Linn State Technical College automotive instructor Jim Brandon won over 30 hours of virtual classroom. Congratulations Jim. None of this would have been possible without you. The second place prize, a CD of my own, went to Robert Leone, an automotive instructor from Ozark Technical College. It was great to speak with you Robert.

Thank you for your contributions, Tom. I hope we get invited back next year.      

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Ronnie
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Love Pico

Re: Autonerdz Web Training Goes Live
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 5:22am

Very Kool Carl.

I have the nerd series but was not aware of you having your own CD out.Hope I am not putting you on the spot but what does it offer?Does it build on the Nerd Series or something all together different?

Ronnie. Smiley

Ronnie Leverett
dale0961  
IP Logged

Jeff
Guru Member
Picogroup

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 5:23am

Congradulations Carl and Tom.  It would really be nice that this concept does evolve.  Carl is your trainning CD available for puplic sale?  Thanks and nice work guys!

Jeff

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 8:29am

Thanks for posting this Carl. 

But you make this sound as if this was my show.  My part was small.  You were the one with boots on the ground and provided a comprehensive presentation to the group.  What a great way to launch your training career...trial by fire   Smiley

Nothing quite like a room full of instructors in a classroom with their eyes on you.   Smiley

As for my part, this was our first attempt to do a live remote classroom.  Thanks to everyone that made this possible.  Special thanks to Todd who provided his IT expertise to get everything on that end working smoothly.  The experiment was successful.  I had eyes and ears and complete control of the PC we used for demo.  I kinda felt like a HAL 9000 computer. 

http://www.autonerdz.com/downloads/fault.wav

http://www.autonerdz.com/downloads/puzzlin.wav

We have been using the VNC software for personalized technical support for a while now and this was the next logical step.  We spent a lot more time setting up the experiment and working out the bugs than we did using it.  That was my main goal anyway.  Just wanted to see if it was possible.  We will surely be expanding on this.   Wink

It was almost like being there but somewhat disembodied.  The video and voice feed was smooth and clear.  No delays or jerky image.  The PC shadowing part was equally smooth.  Not quite like operating the PC in person, but almost.  This opens a new chapter for Autonerdz Training.   Cool

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Todd Huggard

One day I'll get it

Edmonton, Alberta, Alberta, Canada
Edmonton, Alberta
Alberta
Canada

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 5:49pm

Hi  Tom, what's up with those links? Just a little toolbar, is there supposed to be something more?

Regards,Todd

Todd
techsupportwest  
IP Logged

Todd Huggard

One day I'll get it

Edmonton, Alberta
Alberta
Canada

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 5:51pm

Oh yea, one other thing, have you become the Howard Hughes of training Wink

Todd
techsupportwest  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 6:15pm

Todd,

The links are just some wav sound files from the HAL 9000 computer.   Grin

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Todd Huggard

One day I'll get it

Edmonton, Alberta
Alberta
Canada

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 8:19pm

Duh, thanks Tom the speakers wre off on my laptop Shocked

Todd
techsupportwest  
IP Logged

Todd Huggard

One day I'll get it

Edmonton, Alberta
Alberta
Canada

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 8:21pm

Wasn't the astronauts name Dave?

Todd
techsupportwest  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 6:43am

Yeah, Todd.  

I used to work in a shop with a service writer named Dave.  I messed with him a lot  Smiley

This was one of my favorite phrases:

http://www.autonerdz.com/downloads/cantdo.wav

For the younger ones that never saw the movie, it's all from "2001 A Space Odyssey".

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 1:49pm

Hi Ronnie,

Quote:
Hope I am not putting you on the spot but what does it offer?Does it build on the Nerd Series or something all together different?

What I have put together are real world techniques from real world case studies that provide the quickest and most accurate results. This would include waveform analysis, scan data interpretation, theory of system operation, and how to use a hammer. Hey, it worked great on GM ECMs for years. Much more of course, but the main thing is critical thinking skills. With experience, knowledge, and the drive to explore and learn, we can develop our own tests. There is no need to be tied to the trouble charts. As Tom would say, "climb over the wall and get the cheese".

Hi Jeff,

Quote:
Carl is your training CD available for public sale?

No, not yet. Although I'll never think it is ready for prime time, I may go ahead and release it. The work involved is very time consuming. I enjoy it though, so that makes it all worth while. Hope to have it ready soon.

Tom,

You got the trial by fire part right. Fortunately, they were a great group. I'm glad they took it easy on me.  Wink

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 7:31am

Hey Gents,
Has this evolved into an interactive class yet?
Dave

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 8:06am

Hi Dave,

What exactly do you mean by interactive?  As for my part...With two way sound we can have questions, discussion.  I can also see the screen of the PC on site and either operate it or watch someone else operate it.  So, it can be quite interactive..

We have also used this for individualized help when needed.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Sleuth
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 9:15am

Hey Tom,
So a Head/Mic set connected to the laptop with an ISP connection..Remote Admin or  similar software? You can go one-on-one and Teach an Ole Dog a new Trick? Interesting, I`m game. Fill me in on the details, you have my addy.
Regards,
Dave

IP Logged

Qwix0r

crap, what did I do now?

Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Baltimore
Maryland
USA

Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 6:52pm

Hiya Tom... Smiley

VNC is nice, I use it here for a link between my winbox and my unix box, very nice software Smiley

So, Tom and Carl :->

Congrats on the successfull etherclass Smiley

Qwix

IP Logged