Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Running Pico on a Mac? (Read 11,747 times)
Alan Gage
Freshman Member

Running Pico on a Mac?
Apr 17th, 2007 at 10:42am

It's looking like I'll be making the move to Mac in a couple weeks by purchasing a Macbook Pro. I've also been thinking about getting the Picoscope since I'll be traveling the country working for many different places and will be taking minimal equipment. Tom said there are a few people here who are running the Picoscope on Macs. I'd love to hear from anyone who is and any issues that you've had.

Thanks,

Alan

IP Logged

Rich Barton
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Pico_Power

Iowa, Iowa, USA
Iowa
Iowa
USA

Re: Running Pico on a Mac?
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 10:51am

Hi Alan:

I don't use the mac but I was going to tell you that you are more than welcome to stop in and play with the pico on your adventures. Wink

My Cell is 712-870-9007 give me a call if you come this way I am sure there is alot we could talk about. Grin

autonerdz is a very good choice for support. Wink

Rich Barton
C.R.B. Diagnostic's

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:08pm

Hi Alan,

Thanks for dropping by  Wink

I'm sure some of out Mac users will pop in.  In the meantime, there is also some Mac user feedback on the Pico forums like this one:

http://www.picotech.com/support/about2967.html&highlight=mac

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:16pm

Hi Alan,

If you get near the St. Louis area, stop by. We'll have a PicoScope day.  Wink

He is my cell#. 636-699-5100. Call anytime.

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Jan Kraakman
Picogroup

Love my STS

Zwaag  Netherlands, Netherlands
Zwaag  Netherlands
Netherlands

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 1:45am

Hey Alan,
Welcome to this Grand community, there are a lot of gifted experts here like those above Wink with humor to Grin thanks guys!!
I use Mac's for five years now and realy love em Roll Eyes  I purchased my MacBook Pro nine months ago and use it mainly in my office for anything you don't need windows Angry for. I don't want it to get dirty Roll Eyes  A few weeks ago I purchased a Dell lattitude D820 dual core for use in the shop with my Pico, red brick with Snap-link (serial port required), Auto Enginuity and others. Don't want this one to get dirty to Undecided oops!
Now for the Mac, i've been fighting with Parallels and Pico for awile and didn't get it to work for the same reasons as you can read in the link/s Tom gave in his post. I hope it will work some day because the advantage of Parallels is that you can switch very easy between Mac and windows. The reason I use Parallels is that I can measure things in the shop and study these files at the office (windows xp pro sp2, all of Pico, AE, Annowave and others)
Well here's the best part, I also use Apple BootCamp and my Pico runs great with it. I mainly use it as backup if the windows Dell might give up for some reason Embarrassed The only disadvantage of BootCamp is that you have to reboot your Mac to switch between Mac and windows Sad  Did not try USB to Serial yet so have no experience with that. (yet?)
I think that you make a good choice getting the Mac. I have seen NO VIRUSES with NO protection except e-mail protection at my provider Grin  For the windows part/s you NEED protection tough Cry
Here's some links to,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
http://www.parallels.com/
BTW I'm not a computerwiz Embarrassed just a very happy Mac user Grin
I hope i didn't miss something, if I did just ask and I might know the answer Wink
O yea, I don' want to use vista for obvious reasons, vista has features that the Mac had for a long time (for what I know of vista)

Greetings to All, you Nerdz rock Roll Eyes
Jan.

Jan Kraakman    Zwaag  Netherlands
WWW WWW Jan Kraakman jan_kraakman  
IP Logged

Alan Gage
Freshman Member

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2007 at 9:32am

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and ordered a Macbook pro this weekend, now I just need to decide if I want a scope on it or not.

Thanks again,

Alan

IP Logged

Jan Kraakman
Picogroup

Love my STS

Zwaag  Netherlands
Netherlands

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 6:33am

Hey guys, Smiley

Finally got Pico 6.0.11 running on the Mac with parallels Built 5160 and Windows XP pro Smiley
Updated Parallels today with Parallels tools and it worked Smiley
Pico 5 and Pico diagnostics can't find the scope tough Smiley but hardly use these anyway.
I don't know if it is the Pico or Parallels Update Undecided but anyway  Smiley to both teams.
Here's the psdata file I took from a 69 Buick Riviera HEI Ign.

Alan,
Maybe you found this out yourself, otherwise I hope you read this reply. Smiley
How's your MacBook doing?

Jan. Smiley

IP Logged

Alan Gage
Freshman Member

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 8:23am

Thanks for the update Jan.

I did go ahead and get the MB Pro, which I absolutely love, but decided not to go with Pico. The reason for not getting it was that I started to realize this may not be the profession for me anymore. After working at a few shops out on the west coast this summer I decided to call it quits from the auto industry.

After a couple weeks back in Iowa to visit I'm currently touring the east coast. Being a bum and loving it!

Hopefully I'll find something else I want to do.

Alan
www.alangage.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Jan Kraakman
Picogroup

Love my STS

Zwaag  Netherlands
Netherlands

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2007 at 12:09pm

Alan,

Sorry to read that you quit the auto industry  Sad  but I understand, had my share of burnout last spring Smiley
Now I'm back Grin trying not to be to obsessive  Roll Eyes  I'm sure you'll find something else to do. Nice photos btw

Happy touring,
Jan. Smiley

IP Logged