Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

ZOOM ZOOM (Read 4,646 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

ZOOM ZOOM
May 17th, 2005 at 2:28pm

Trying to keep up with Kevin  Tongue

Right click the movie for the controls.

1988 Saleen Modified 351

A is PIP
B is SPOUT
C is Secondary
D is Primary Current

Start with no trigger, then select trigger to capture snaps and save to hard drive followed by a zoom in examination of the last frame.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Romain.
Picogroup

Deceased

Re: ZOOM ZOOM
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 7:10pm

Hi Tom,

I've been looking at this screen a few times, and my question is:    there appears to be an issue  with  sudden dwell changes , what in your estimation causes this? I think I've seen this before when there is a secondary issue like in a misfire. will e-mail a print screen shot of the event.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 8:25pm

Hi Romain,

Yes, I saw that too.  It only happens on a snap accel.  There are no associated performance issues.  In this Push Start TFI4 ignition system, dwell is a function of the ICM.   

Notice that the sudden dwell change is a result of the sudden timing change when the throttle is snapped open.  Timing is, of course, a function of the computer ECA through the SPOUT command.  At that point where the dwell changes, the timing suddenly retarded to about 10 deg BTDC.  This created the excessive dwell event.  Then the ICM has to play catch up to recover the dwell time.  It's not a very smart ICM  Roll Eyes

I'm thinking that this is normal for the system.  Another good reason for creating Computer Controlled Dwell  Wink

At least that's my theory at this point  Tongue  Thoughts?

Here is your shot:

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Doug_Montgomery
Freshman Member

We will never need more
than 640k

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 9:35pm

Awesome Tom  Grin

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2005 at 7:12am

Hi Doug!  Good to see you visiting. 

I wasn't happy with the sound on that little movie.  Lot's of noise. It was a good attention getter at the NAIT show though.   8)

I just used the PC sound card and a long standard extension cable.  The extension cable caused a lot of noise.  I'm getting that worked out now with a balanced mic and a Tascam digitizer.  Trying different mics.  I got rid of all the noise now but need a mic with a little more gain. 

Have a movie from the same car with an injection misfire that sounds much better but not enough volume with the vocal mic I used. 

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged